Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Interceptors. And why they shouldn't be Firesprays.
This topic has 93 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 11 years, 11 months ago by Walldo.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 94 total)
    • Walldo Keymaster
      May 28, 2012 at 1:35 pm #18988

If Firesprays are no longer viable to sell maybe it’s time to develop a new ship

• Gyndi Participant
      May 28, 2012 at 6:43 pm #18989

That would kill the whole “engineering clans must be friends with other engineering clans, all major clans, and never compete in the same markets” motto that everyone in engineering clans seem to have now days, Walldo.

• Amiga Participant
      May 28, 2012 at 9:00 pm #18990

FYI, I made a fix for this on the build port weeks ago that I’ve been waiting for Walldo and Pez to implement.

• Walldo Keymaster
      May 28, 2012 at 9:42 pm #18991

? You aren’t a coder so I doubt that? Unless you mean you changed the firespray or something?

• Bai Participant
      May 29, 2012 at 1:58 am #18992

yeah who cares about RP that people have been developing this timeline gyndi. who cares.

• Bai Participant
      May 29, 2012 at 2:00 am #18993

And walldo, they were never viable to sell. They were given to us with 130 hyperspeed, that was great, and then it was taken away and they were completely useless from day 1 after that, when the YG came out at the same time. the only use we’ve found is to sell them as interceptors. I really don’t care, but I’m just saying that it’s stupid that we were given a decent ship, it got nerfed, and now you’re talking about removing the only way we can sell it.

• Zeromus Participant
      May 29, 2012 at 2:27 am #18994

I’m going to second Bai on this. The original Firesprays were comparable to the YG-4210 but then for some reason they were nerfed considerably (after they’d already been introduced to the game this era) while the YG-4210 was left alone. There really is no reason to use a Firespray at the moment than as an interceptor. Pre-nerf, there was a good case for using the Firespray as a long range combat transport for hunters and the like and the YG-4210 as more of a cargo hauling engineer’s transport but post nerf there’s only one function for the Firespray now. It’s not a matter of ‘develop something new’ it’s more a matter of it was great and then was inexplicably dropped in stats while the comparable ship wasn’t touched and just was never good compared to what the Firespray has been in previous times.

Bai can sometimes overstate things but this is definitely one of those times where she isn’t.

• Hawkman Participant
      May 29, 2012 at 2:39 am #18997

“The idea of seeing Firespray sized ships spewing out of hangars is pretty hard to believe”

you could fit an entire star destroyer in a star destroyer hangar until they nerfed it and you can still jam an entire cruiser in there so complaining about believability in launchable ship size on battleships is a little ridiculous

plus ISDs in the expanded universe were supposed to be able to field squadrons of “heavy starfighters” like the skipray blastboat which was effectively transport-class as it’s portrayed on LOTJ, so it’s not like there isn’t “in-universe” examples of that sort of thing happening

• Gyndi Participant
      May 29, 2012 at 4:35 am #18998

WALLDO EDIT: blah blah blah a lot of IC things irrelevant to this discussion

The Firespray was far, far better than the YG to the point that KDY couldn’t sell YGs because of inferior stats and them being an unknown ship type, if I’m remembering the first days of the clan. I do agree that the Firespray shouldn’t have been nerfed, but I also think that the YG should have been given a boost to make them comparable. But that’s ancient history now.

As for “heavy starfighters,” ship classification is really, really derpy for a lot of things. I feel like the Skipray should’ve been classified a gunboat on LotJ, not a transport, if that’s what it was (I don’t remember what they were because I never actually got in one/near one, for some reason).

• Bai Participant
      May 29, 2012 at 7:32 am #18999

Oh so you’re just mad because wah. If anyone has an attitude it’s you.

And the skipray WAS a gunship.

• Avanga Member
      May 29, 2012 at 12:02 pm #19002

Even the people who came up with the Skipray don’t know how to classify it. Imo, it’s a fancy third party B-Wing. Gunships and Transports are two poorly defined ship sizes, the former basically being a big freighter with none of the facilities that make them popular with players, the latter falling into a useless slump somewhere between starfighter and freighter. Firesprays and YGs have both been delegated to little more than long range taxis.

A gunship should really be a starfighter (nerfed accordingly) and transports should be a sub-class of freighters, as defined in wookieepedia.

Oh, and concerning hangars… read the article on the Imperial Star Destroyer. The capture bay is large enough for one corvette, TIEs are launched from separate hangars. No ship should have a bay big enough to tractor in a frigate, much less a cruiser or larger. This has been abused for years, why has it been un-fixed again?

• Bai Participant
      May 29, 2012 at 12:34 pm #19004

also the skipray in lotj wasn’t supposed to be a starfighter, it was a gunship that i designed and then Gathorn decided to pick a name out of a hat.

• Hawkman Participant
      May 29, 2012 at 12:40 pm #19005

you’re remembering the first days of the clan wrong.

firesprays had a ton of weaponry that nobody (except people fielding squadrons) care about because nobody wants to pirate hunt or whatever in a transport. it also had average fuel and a hyperdrive that was insignificantly faster than the yg, while the yg had an useful amount of cargo space and way more fuel, and the nerf happened one or two days into the era when there was no way of knowing how sales were going to shake out.

and the nerf was absolutely crushing, because really? slightly more fuel than a fighter AND a terrible hyperdrive? I mean, maybe one or the other, but come on. the stat change effectively made them only useful for 1) the role we’re talking about taking away here and 2) people who really really want to fly boba fett’s ship

• Walldo Keymaster
      May 29, 2012 at 3:04 pm #19007

“you could fit an entire star destroyer in a star destroyer hangar until they nerfed it and you can still jam an entire cruiser in there so complaining about believability in launchable ship size on battleships is a little ridiculous”

I don’t think it is ridiculous at all. The things you mentioned were were bugs and were fixed as soon as an hour or two after the ships were introduced.

I really can’t speak to anything about Firespray stats being changed when they went in because that was 7 months ago.

I really don’t think this is an issue of YG4210 stats versus Firespray stats, this is a matter of whether or not anything larger than a starfighter should be able to be in a squadron, to which I say no.

• Avanga Member
      May 29, 2012 at 3:43 pm #19008

Regardless of how the conversation was started, it’s become, at least partially, about other subjects that people feel are important. Considering you’ve already said that the interceptor problem is on the list, I don’t see the problem with discussing the other matters here.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 94 total)
The topic ‘Interceptors. And why they shouldn't be Firesprays.’ is closed to new replies.