Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Interceptors. And why they shouldn't be Firesprays.
This topic has 93 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 11 years, 11 months ago by Walldo.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 94 total)
    • Ocerion Participant
      May 25, 2012 at 7:20 pm #18972

This whole complaint will probably seem rather odd coming from me but I’d like to point out how it is a very rare thing when a clans “canon” interceptors are in any way usable. For example during last timeline, the Imperium had these terrible little Tie-Interceptors that would could launch in relatively small numbers…Or we could load up on kickass firesprays and do some damage. Needless to say, the canon interceptor of choice was never used. Nor should it have been, sorry to those of you who enjoy screaming twink at every moment, but handicapping yourself for looks is stupid. So. I’ve a suggestion for this, that would make interceptors more useful. Well, the canon ones, that is. X-Wings for Rebels, Tie’s for Imperials. Honestly aside from the frank stupidity of watching MC80’s and ISD’s launch firesprays, the things are borderline game breaking at times.

Allow the weak and borderline useless Tie’s to be used in far greater numbers. Keep them pitiful, but increase the squadron number by 2-3, then enforce a rule (Maybe by code) that says you MUST use your own clans interceptor types.

For the Rebels? Add a few projectiles, I’d say 2-3 of each type, and some extra ion cannons to their ships.

Honestly what it comes down to is the various nerfs and boosts and so on are done in such a poorly thought out manner that things like the Firespray squadrons are all but forced on you, if you want to compete. Make it so thats not so. Save us from the mass launching of Firesprays.

• Kirash Participant
      May 25, 2012 at 7:40 pm #18973

The easy solution to this is the code in that anything Transport size and higher can’t be put in a squadron. Personally, I find it dumb too, but mainly from a practicality viewpoint since I’m not really up on the space combat shit. Clans have their own damn interceptor prints. They should use them.

• Fel Member
      May 25, 2012 at 7:42 pm #18974

Make TIEs and canon fighters worth using, and Ill use them instead of a firespray any day, even if the firespray is still slightly better. As it is the canon fighters suck on both sides. Now should TIEs be made stronger? I dunno, probably a little, but their use should be in vast numbers at cheap cost. And when I say vast, I think even more then just “2 or 3” because even 10 or 12 TIEs per squadron would have trouble against 21 Firesprays.
      There is no incentive other than RP bay size or maybe an emergency replacement to ever use the first round of TIEs, or Xwings, when you have space. Hell even R-41s are better then whats given to clans which makes no sense on any level. As Ocerion just said, handicapping yourself for looks, in space battles is criminally stupid, considering how much money and importance are tied up in space combat.

I think maybe 1 or two transports still remaining, might be worth it too, add a bit of strategy to the overall thing as well.

Just my thoughts.

• Ocerion Participant
      May 25, 2012 at 7:43 pm #18975

Problem with that is, if you simply remove the transports from being in squadrons, its only a short matter of time before the ship of choise is one of the other non-imperial interceptors. To make them viable something MUST be changed. The same goes with the rebel ships.

• Kirash Participant
      May 25, 2012 at 7:55 pm #18976

So what, Ocerion? You think that the Republic/Empire/Rebellion/New Republic never tried out new starfighters when they came out to see if they would be a good fit for their squadrons? The Rebellion never just stuck with X-Wings. They got A-Wings and B-Wings too. The Empire didn’t just stick with TIE-Fighters, but got TIE Interceptors and Preybirds as well.

• Ocerion Participant
      May 25, 2012 at 8:01 pm #18977

Never said keep them from developing more. But I will say Tie/In sucks, A-Wings are garbage, don’t recall having seen B-Wings on here in a very long time…but no matter which of those ships were developed now, in the end, we’re just gonna use something else. UNLESS. There is a reason to use them.

Preybirds were pretty awful the last time they existed too incidently.

• Kirash Participant
      May 25, 2012 at 11:43 pm #18978

I was just using canonical examples. I agree that better interceptors need to be developed, but I am speaking from the outside looking in so to speak. I am just of the mindset that ship classes should be used as they are intended: transports as transpots and starfighters as starfighters.

• Gyndi Participant
      May 26, 2012 at 12:51 am #18979

I tried telling the imms at the beginning of the era when I first saw the firesprays that they should restrict fighters to being interceptors, but I don’t know if they read my immchat and didn’t agree or if it was just lost in the paper work. I figured it was just a matter of time before they started getting used like they’re TIEs again.

• Bai Participant
      May 26, 2012 at 10:14 am #18980

I’m not going to read any of this, but I am going to sit here and point out something:

Ocerion was the first one i’ve ever seen use firesprays as interceptors.

• Corey Participant
      May 27, 2012 at 7:07 pm #18981

The idea of seeing Firespray sized ships spewing out of hangars is pretty hard to believe. Of course people are going to use whatever works best regardless of what that is, its the whole pink bunny ears as eq argument all over again. Why not have interceptors as an actual class of ship and the code for cap ship usage only allow them to be used?

• Kirash Participant
      May 27, 2012 at 11:03 pm #18982

That’s basically what starfighter classes are supposed to be

• Walldo Keymaster
      May 27, 2012 at 11:44 pm #18983

That’s a great idea, I honestly had no idea anything bigger than a starfighter could be squadron’d, I will put this on the short list.

• Kirash Participant
      May 28, 2012 at 3:00 am #18984

I love you walldo

• Bai Participant
      May 28, 2012 at 10:14 am #18985

Wow! So not only did the imms nerf firesprays this timeline, but now they’re taking away the only way I can sell them! HOORAY!!

• Gathorn Participant
      May 28, 2012 at 11:12 am #18986

I think I used firesprays back as Arik later on. Though, I tended to use TIES early on just for the sake of “Sweet. I can have 100 of them made for less than a million credits and plus, come on, TIEs.

Also, Bai, try not to overplay the victim card too much.

I also don’t think Firesprays got much use until bays got large enough to actually fit your entire squadron list. When they were kept smallish, you either had to decide to keep your 36 fighters, or only have 15 firesprays. In automated space combat, Numbers > quality any day. To a certain degree that is. Sort of like how Charmander will own Bulbasaur any day until Bulbasaur manages 20 levels ahead.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 94 total)
The topic ‘Interceptors. And why they shouldn't be Firesprays.’ is closed to new replies.