Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Ease of death/PKill
This topic has 135 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 13 years, 1 month ago by Anna.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 136 total)
    • Andvari Participant
      October 31, 2010 at 3:22 am #15594
      "Anna":cddoddw2 wrote:
      I will be happy to alter cloning to work 100% of the time, IF we can agree to the following changes:

1. The player suffers a temporary loss of HP and MV which increase to their normal levels over a period of 24 hours (played or not played) from the time they were permed. Someone with 150 medical can heal them to decrease this healing time from 24 hours to 12 hours.
      2. The cloning chamber is redesigned in such a way that players cannot camp the area waiting for people to log in so that they can kill them again. (This is actually really simple to do)
      3. The total number of clones that a person is capable of getting is 2. (And as many restore requests as they entitled to)
      4. Restore requests can be handled from the clone if the player is willing to forfeit any armor that would have otherwise been restored to them. (I understand that EQ is not currently restored if it is lost, anyway)
      5. We agree to a simple RP system that allows players to RP their storylines from the point that they are permed. (To agree to anything less would require too much administrative enforcement)[/quote:cddoddw2]

I’m not a huge advocate of cloning, mostly because I’m not a huge advocate of dying. However, I can see this working out pretty well. It’d at least give players some balls.

• Corey Participant
      October 31, 2010 at 5:04 am #15595

My main issue with this is that there’s no negative to cloning. I don’t see a single reason why everyone in game shouldn’t be cloned if this is the route we’re going. Also, will the ability to clone be opened up for the public, or will it continue to be how its done in the past?

• Avanga Member
      October 31, 2010 at 5:08 am #15596

The idea is that we WANT people to be cloned so that they’ll take more chances with their characters, get more involved and maybe start something exciting for once. We don’t want to make cloning something that turns people off, because they’ll just stick to what they’ve been doing – hiding away and only attacking when they KNOW they’ll win.

• Corey Participant
      October 31, 2010 at 5:12 am #15599
      "Avanga":12mgs3eb wrote:
      The idea is that we WANT people to be cloned so that they’ll take more chances with their characters, get more involved and maybe start something exciting for once. We don’t want to make cloning something that turns people off, because they’ll just stick to what they’ve been doing – hiding away and only attacking when they KNOW they’ll win.[/quote:12mgs3eb]

Won’t that happen anyway when they’re down to their last clone? (lol just playing devil’s advocate on that, don’t really take me seriously) My issue is just that cloning is 100% positive with no reasoning not to do it. Just seems to me like there should be some sort of balance to it. Maybe I’m just overthinking it.

• Fishy Participant
      October 31, 2010 at 7:12 am #15612

Price, inconvenience.

How are Anna’s suggestions, aside from the slow recovery (I like that idea) and the no camping (I like that too) any different than the current system?

All your gear is fucked even if you get restored, you’re already [i:kr6zvxhc]supposedly[/i:kr6zvxhc] limited to two clones.

If cloning actually worked, people would actually do stuff. When I was young and naive and thought my clone would work, I did all kinds of fun stuff. And then my first clone got camp-killed and every cloned character I had after that had a clone failure, now I don’t even bother. It’s much nicer in my phome. Why waste an afternoon and a couple mil on something with a 5% (if that) chance of working.

• Troll Participant
      October 31, 2010 at 7:38 am #15614

Make it so that forcers cannot carry their force onto their clones.

• Kora Participant
      October 31, 2010 at 8:16 am #15616
      "Anna":27o7tco1 wrote:
      5. We agree to a simple RP system that allows players to RP their storylines from the point that they are permed. (To agree to anything less would require too much administrative enforcement)[/quote:27o7tco1]
      I’m not entirely sure what you mean by this. Are you proposing a change to the way clones are currently RP’d, allowing them to RP remembering everything between being cloned and being killed? Because if so, I really don’t like this idea. It takes away from the [i:27o7tco1]only[/i:27o7tco1] thing I like about cloning — it has the capability of creating interesting RP.

"Troll":27o7tco1 wrote:
      Make it so that forcers cannot carry their force onto their clones.[/quote:27o7tco1]
      While I’m not necessarily saying I disagree, that would 100% go against the point of this entire thread.
    • Anastasius Member
      October 31, 2010 at 8:44 am #15620

A few ideas to make death easier on players.

Perhaps make levels cheaper with points. I could spend 2k easy but I wont get all that many levels and I still have to do some major grinding. Not to mention I miss out on a lot of potential stat min maxing.
      In before someone trolls me for min/maxing. Some people like to play that way and the random gains were designed around that anyway.
      Maybe a 300 point cost option to set all your stats to current race cap. Instead of the 20 point allowance that wont go to race cap anyway but 2 off.

Speed up leveling. We need a balance but the less time we have to spend leveling up the easier it is on us to loose a char. This goes back to people who say spend points. Yes I pay 3k deposit, 2k cost, 2k points, do something stupid even at my fault. Lost 7k points. Well fuck me running. That’s gonna piss me off not make it easier.

Quests were a step in the right direction. We need more options. I suggest expanding on leadership. They offer a lot of experience now but its wonkey in most classes. IE diagnose is faster for exp then a sink built in for training leader. Science wont give exp unless leader gets a skill up. Once a science has trained all skills no more teaching.

Get rid of the damn exp sink. Its counter productive it says SCREW YOU this should take a long time. Stop power leveling. Okay that’s fine in most cases but that pushes the char value higher and doesn’t make it easier to rush into pk, instead makes me want to hide more.

• Troll Participant
      October 31, 2010 at 8:55 am #15622

Forcers require circulation. There are and have been ones that just strut around for the entire era because A) they perm everyone B) people can’t stand up against them. After a ganksquad finally manages to off the guy, the last thing we want is them to come back, fully capable and going: "Hi guys, guess I’m dominating again LOLOLOL."

N.F.F.C – No Force For Clones.

• Kora Participant
      October 31, 2010 at 8:58 am #15623
      "Anastasius":37rfjo18 wrote:
      Get rid of the damn exp sink. Its counter productive it says SCREW YOU this should take a long time.[/quote:37rfjo18]
      Actually, I think that’s a good point. We removed the xp sink for turning in quest items, why not for using skills? The majority of level-up skills aren’t instant-fire anyway, so it’s not going to do that much harm. …And if you think being able to spam 250 slicer xp instead of 50 all the way up to level 20 is too much then just readjust the xp cap for the few instant skills out there to make up for it.
    • Fishy Participant
      October 31, 2010 at 9:50 am #15630

Have each clone reawakening subtract a substantial amount of their force. Dilution or something. A level 100 forcer gets killed, their clone is level 60. The clone gets killed, the next one wakes up level 30.

• Drel Member
      October 31, 2010 at 12:23 pm #15646
      "Fishy":2advdxih wrote:
      Have each clone reawakening subtract a substantial amount of their force. Dilution or something. A level 100 forcer gets killed, their clone is level 60. The clone gets killed, the next one wakes up level 30.[/quote:2advdxih]
      Just from EU, I’d say have it take away skill %, not force levels. This may be a biased example because there’s scant data to go on, but Jorus C’boath’s clone, Joruus C’boath, was just as powerful if not more powerful than his "template."
      Actually, if I was going to suggest a downside to cloning at all, it wouldn’t be a degradation of max levels, or a limit on the number of clones… it would be across-the-board drops in skill percentages. Flash learning really sucks. It was the reason storm troopers were inaccurate, for one.
    • Andvari Participant
      October 31, 2010 at 1:22 pm #15647
      "Troll":11eayb99 wrote:
      Make it so that forcers cannot carry their force onto their clones.[/quote:11eayb99]

Most forcers are chicken shits who piss down their leg at the thought of pk.

• Anna Member
      October 31, 2010 at 1:59 pm #15648

Troll: It’s a good idea to keep the force moving, but I feel that the ends don’t justify the means. The only clones that we really want force removed from are the really powerful PKing forcers. If you remove force from the other guys, then you potentially limit one side’s ability to take padawan/apprentices and train them to their full capacity. This will result in msets and other IMM-intervention.

No, if they get a clone, they get their force at 100%.

Kora, you make a good point. Your point is in fact the ONLY reason that I’ve hated cloning all this time. Some people would RP thoughts as though they were a blank slate, some people would RP thoughts from the point of cloning, and others wouldn’t experience any loss of thoughts. These thoughts would then be used as PK justification, and the victim has a solid defense. It amounts to an administrative nightmare to track and control and the staff can’t continue to offer this level of support. We’d need to simplify it and make some concessions for the sake of game mechanics.

To address that problem, I would be willing to change cloning to ‘hospitalization’. Let’s say that the player buys an ‘insurance policy (ie: formerly clone)’ that guarantees them that in the event of an accident, they will be rescued and healed. It’s ambiguous so if you’re killed in a space battle, then you wake up and /you/ decide how you came to survive. (I mean, we’re explaining our survival as it is when we get restored after of week of death). You can even RP that you were on a clone if you want. You get to choose, but ICly it accommodates the players who don’t want to back track their RP)

Corey, I hear you on the downside to cloning. If a player wakes up on a clone and applies for a restore, then their original will be lost. I want to get away from players losing time while they go through the RP process. I feel very strongly that a few extra chances to play your character is going to give people a safety net so they can get out there and take some chances. If they know that their clone is going to suck, they won’t take those chances. I think that the idea of a 24 hour ‘rest’ time after being killed is a good solution to the problem of people cloning, getting killed, and then rejoining a fight 10 minutes after dying. (which nullifies the permer’s actions of getting you out of the way in the first place)

Ideally, though, I’d like to make dying such a non issue that players don’t have a need to go through the restore process nearly as often as they are currently. That means that we need to find the right balance of extra lives (clones) and ability to perm others. We’re still a ways off on that.

• Drel Member
      October 31, 2010 at 3:13 pm #15651
      "Anastasius":onnfz0h0 wrote:
      Maybe a 300 point cost option to set all your stats to current race cap. Instead of the 20 point allowance that wont go to race cap anyway but 2 off.
      [/quote:onnfz0h0]
      This is an absolutely fucking brilliant idea. I don’t know how I skimmed over it the first read-through. That would fix so many problems–spending hours of time training stats, getting fucked over on stat gains if you buy levels, having to quest or level BEFORE training stats just to be able to afford said training (which runs the risk of further stat gain fucking)…
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 136 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.