Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Ease of death/PKill
This topic has 135 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Anna.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 136 total)
    • Anna Member
      October 29, 2010 at 10:54 pm #1565

Avanga said it best. It’s just too easy to die on LotJ. As a result of that, we lose good clan leadership, we get disjointed personal RP stories, and new players, or occasional players who are struggling to keep up die far too often, far too easily.

I say we either need to die less, or make it easier for players to bounce right back. What are your thoughts on this?

• Gann Participant
      October 29, 2010 at 11:00 pm #15481

My only guess would be play your character more careful, have bigger account point distribution upon death or have races cost less points, I don’t know which is better.

• Avanga Member
      October 29, 2010 at 11:08 pm #15482

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with PK in and of itself, I’ve proven that a lackluster combatant can hold his own against lots of people – even forcers if they’re prepared for it. The problem is that more and more people resort to underhanded tactics to win these days. Boxing people in while they’re AFK, bringing large groups to fight one person, or blockading and shooting them down in space. A person doesn’t really stand a chance in any of those situations, no matter how good they are.

To a degree, it’s necessary. Characters become stale, and when they die it gives people the opportunity to explore new avenues of RP. It brings new life to the MUD. But like I said, in the odd case where it’s a leader, it can really mess things up.

"Gann":188aq01g wrote:
      My only guess would be play your character more careful, have bigger account point distribution upon death or have races cost less points, I don’t know which is better.[/quote:188aq01g]

And playing more careful gives rise to a lot of our current problems. Careful people get four of their buddies on AIM before they go into a fight. Careful people don’t leave their hidden planets for fear of dying. Careful people refuse to get involved in the conflict.

• Corey Participant
      October 29, 2010 at 11:39 pm #15493
      "Anna":1b9i89sm wrote:
      I say we either need to die less, or make it easier for players to bounce right back. What are your thoughts on this?[/quote:1b9i89sm]

To make it so that players die less would be an almost complete overhaul of the game in my opinion. You could do a whole lot of minor things here and there that might eventually add up to easing the constant of deaths, though I’m unsure what that’ll accomplish in the short run. Some of those things could be lowering the amount of damage repeaters do. Making armor more "armored". Giving newbies a timed session (2 weeks? X levels?) of which they can’t be attacked by players? I dunno, I’m just kind of "thinking aloud" as I type this….not sure if any of that would even be worth pondering on more.

• Anna Member
      October 29, 2010 at 11:42 pm #15474

What about easing up on dying in space?

OKAY, HOLD UP RP POLICE. I know that it’s not perfect RP to have someone die in space, and then pop up somewhere else. It’s not like we can’t change the death echo to make to sound like they’ve ejected in a life pod, or something silly like that. (It’s better than our current system of ICly-dies-then-gets-restored-and-backtracks-RP.)

• Kora Participant
      October 29, 2010 at 11:55 pm #15473

Well, as people were talking about in the other thread, Forcers have a huge target painted on them at all times. I know they make up a minority of the pbase, but I still this it’s worth addressing… so I’m copying over the post I wrote there. It makes more sense here anyway.

"Kora":mdtxq8qu wrote:
      The only other thing I have to add has to do with the perming/restore process, which seems to be a can of worms that everybody’s been trying not to open. So I apologize in advance. Forcers can currently kill each other pretty much solely for having the opposite alignment. This doesn’t make much sense… and it [i:mdtxq8qu]really[/i:mdtxq8qu] sucks for people who want to be able to actually RP their Jedi instead of having to either hide from the significantly higher level Sith wandering around outside or die. A Jedi should be able to kill a Sith for doing evil things because they’re supposed to be a protector of the peace… but a vigilante character should be able to as well. Public enemies are just that. A Sith should be able to kill a Jedi if they’re standing in the way of their goals… but they should be able to kill anyone actively standing in the way of their goals, forcer or not. And they shouldn’t have to be a Sith in order to do it.

Basically, what I’m getting at is that there currently seems to be an implied "clanwar" between Jedi and Sith, where a member of either faction can kill a member of the other simply for existing. This is a huge and unnecessary contributor to Forcers having a huge target painted on them. The only reason that my evil character should be more interested in killing a pesky Jedi than a pesky Republic soldier is that the Jedi is more powerful and therefore getting in my way more… not just by virtue of being a Jedi.

…And before anybody says that they really are by nature at war with each other, we have had quite a few "evil" forcers who have been polite, friendly, and far from evil, making them not a target for the Jedi. We’ve also had "good" forcers who do absolutely nothing, making them a pretty bad target for the Sith. ALL characters should be safe from people they haven’t pissed off… regardless of their force levels.[/quote:mdtxq8qu]

Having said that, I agree with Avanga that a certain degree of cycling through characters is necessary to stop them from becoming stale, but we all know how much it sucks to lose a character you loved.

For me the biggest drawback to getting killed has nothing to do with points (well, in most situations). Starting up a character from level 1 everything is tedious and boring…. not to mention that on top of that you’ve gone from a character with ~200 names on their memcheck down to a character who doesn’t even have one. It’s not just the leveling that can be daunted… it’s having to flesh out a whole new personality, make credits, make friends, and ultimately decide what you’re going to do with this new character when all you [i:mdtxq8qu]really[/i:mdtxq8qu] want is to be playing your old one again.

My point is that the things that have been suggested… extra bonuses from death, cheaper races, etc. aren’t really going to fix the problem. People will still be cautious with the characters they’re fond of because they’re FOND of them. Making dying harder will piss a -lot- of people off because the balance is so delicate right now. The only "real" fix is for people to realize that playing a character who gets a spectacular death is way more rewarding than playing a character who survives the whole TL but spends his whole life making armor. It’s not going to happen.

Though that’s the thing… it has to be a good death in order to not just be depressing. I’d love for mandatory pre-perm-RP, but implementing it would be awful and even suggesting it will probably just get me flamed.

• Corey Participant
      October 30, 2010 at 12:14 am #15472
      "Anna":3u8r5ry0 wrote:
      What about easing up on dying in space?[/quote:3u8r5ry0]

I’m assuming we’re not talking about people who completely refuse to work with blockades/tractor stops and are talking about unknowing characters launching right into a blockade and the Navy just shooting anything that launches? To me, this problem starts with the "guerrilla warfare" that is most commonly used during wars on LOTJ. Unfortunately, this doesn’t make sense at all to say you can’t do that because its pretty strategic overall. Though, doesn’t the autoeject system already take care of this issue? My biggest concern with dying in space is that it takes absolutely NO skill at all to camp over a planet blowing up everything that launches. If they had the levels, a trained monkey could do it. (Not saying space battles are easy, because I totally suck at them). However, this is also the easiest way for opposing clans to take each other’s people out. I dunno, I’d hate to see rules set into place…like…you can’t blow up a ship without halting it and asking for ID (cause this just gives the person 1 extra chance to get away).

• Oteri Participant
      October 30, 2010 at 12:20 am #15498

No, I kind of agree with you there, Kora. Personally, I’d rather have a memorable death than getting picked off by a gank squad or blasted from orbit. Those tend to be the majority of the ways I’ve died on characters. I’ve had three forcers on this mud, two were blasted from space. The first one I had coming to me, and I felt justified in it. The second one was abrupt and unceremonious. It was one of the biggest disappointments I’ve ever experienced on LotJ.

I don’t think PKs need to be made more difficult. I would suggest to make it more rewarding to the person who gets killed, but that’s really coming down to the person(s) performing the perm and their quality of role play.

I know we have a "catch and release" rule which "makes you safe for X time" but I don’t think it’s highlighted enough and I don’t think there is enough incentive to let someone go afterwards. I’ve personally, and just very recently, invoked that rule myself, but I can almost garauntee that when those 2 weeks are up, I’m about to face the awesome powerz(TM) of the gank squad.

• Avanga Member
      October 30, 2010 at 12:24 am #15499

You need someone to scout orbit before you can launch when you’re at war, otherwise you never know if you’re launching into a trap. Autoeject on pubbies doesn’t do anything but vaporize you if they blockade, and any decent pilot -will-. People have expressed interest in a way to check for orbital ships, but nothing’s come of it yet. It’d be handy.

The other thing we could do is have it so people can be recovered after starfighter explosions through use of environmental suits or something. Rather than launching them to the planet, they drift in space and can be retrieved by ships. That’d require some work though, and it’d probably just lead to a death at the hands of your enemies anyways.

• Anna Member
      October 30, 2010 at 1:02 am #15501

We could increase/improve the current cloning system.

Mechanically, cloning is a good solution. I think it needs to be tweaked, but we’ve used it before… it’s been widely popular regardless of it’s drawbacks.

RP-wise, it presents a lot of issues, but we can’t have everything our way. Besides, it’s just a game, and we can’t micromanage every aspect of people’s RP.

Clones enable players to choose to continue, or choose to end things with that incredible death sequence that they just experienced.

You can only expect people to enjoy that spectacular death RP that they may get if they’ve taken the time to get to know their characters and fall in love with them. If they’re killed after a few weeks, then they’re probably not bonding with their character to really appreciate it.

Kora: No one will flame you here. If they do, I’ll delete their posts. We need to have these discussions, and we can’t let the idiots tell us that our ideas are bad. That’s what brainstorming is all about. Throw a lump of clay on the table and work it into something wonderful.

• Osric Participant
      October 30, 2010 at 2:36 am #15509
      "Kora":3blnc2t3 wrote:
      For me the biggest drawback to getting killed has nothing to do with points (well, in most situations). Starting up a character from level 1 everything is tedious and boring…. not to mention that on top of that you’ve gone from a character with ~200 names on their memcheck down to a character who doesn’t even have one. It’s not just the leveling that can be daunted… it’s having to flesh out a whole new personality, make credits, make friends, and ultimately decide what you’re going to do with this new character when all you really want is to be playing your old one again.[/quote:3blnc2t3]

I don’t really agree with the memcheck thing. I find starting out without knowing anyone allows my character the ability to make old friends enemies and vise versa if I so choose or my characters personality just merely has it end up that way. It helps keep a new character feeling "new" and not just a carbon copy of my old character with a new name/race/main/min-max ect.

I do however agree with starting from level 1 is very tedious and boring, having to come up with funds and not gaining levels while you do so in order to max stats before you level is another thing I find to be a huge pain. Granted the quest system has made getting some things leveled up very quick, while other quests just seem to fail in comparison in the speed/ease of which you can level in that field. Some people may say its not that bad, but when you don’t know people outside of who your character knows ICly(No Aim friends or OOC connection to anyone). Starting fresh is a very big task.

"Anna":3blnc2t3 wrote:
      We could increase/improve the current cloning system. [/quote:3blnc2t3]

I’m not sure how I feel about this one. I haven’t had a character cloned, nor seen the character who can never die first hand, merely heard OOC banter about it.

On one hand I can see that cloning can be a good thing, allowing me to continue on with the character, and perhaps even redirect him through the experience if he’s been swept up in Rp of the storyline and perhaps gone a direction I don’t favor.

On the other though i can see a system that would be heavily abused, never ending characters, vendettas being fought through clones about the perms that caused the clone to decant ect ect.

The only solution I can think of would be perhaps put a point charge to clones? First ones free and for every one after that you pay an increasing price per clone? Like I said, I’ve had no experience with the cloning system outside of helpfiles and OOC so I can’t honestly say.

"Avanga":3blnc2t3 wrote:
      The other thing we could do is have it so people can be recovered after starfighter explosions through use of environmental suits or something. Rather than launching them to the planet, they drift in space and can be retrieved by ships. That’d require some work though, and it’d probably just lead to a death at the hands of your enemies anyways.[/quote:3blnc2t3]

I have to agree with this alot. While it would make sense that you could recover a person alive within X amount of time in a suit, what would be the point if they are just going to be picked up by the enemy who shot them down and most likely permed anyhow?
      It’s kinda how I see escape pods, unless your being shot down by pirates, or by accident, whats the point? Your dead anyway unless your lucky enough to be far enough away to hyper.. though I don’t even know if escape pods can hyper jump.

Perhaps if escape pods automatically hypered off into uncharted when they were activated. In movies and things like that escape pods are small, quick ships with limited ability and only one real strength: Getting you out alive, and someplace safe FAST.

As for blockade eh.. I don’t like that its the end all be all. Why does someone ejecting from a spacecraft just die? Wouldn’t something so small as a person sitting in a chair be able to slip past the ships? I mean they are not touching in a giant circle around the planet covering everything. Planets are not eclipsed and thrown into darkness when someone blockades them, so why isn’t there a chance my lone pilot can survive at least to make past the blockade.. if I die on impact, well that’s understandable.

Honestly I think being able to eject and live to reach the planet should be percentage based, rather than well they are blockading were boned. How many ships are in the blockade? How big are the ships, how close am I, how close together are they? I’m sure a formula based on these and a few other factors could be made into a decent and balanced percentage.

There is more about blockade I personally dislike, but seeing as this post is more about death, i’ll save that for the other topic thats going.

• Avanga Member
      October 30, 2010 at 2:44 am #15511

I’m torn. A part of me wants to say that eject should go right through a blockade safely because being able to lock down a system is powerful enough. The other part of me likes that pods are the best way to survive a blockade, because they force people to consider using something other than public shuttles. I think pods should auto-crash land within 7000 range or so, though, just like ejecting.

• Osric Participant
      October 30, 2010 at 2:56 am #15514
      "Avanga":3qzpfpas wrote:
      I’m torn. A part of me wants to say that eject should go right through a blockade safely because being able to lock down a system is powerful enough. The other part of me likes that pods are the best way to survive a blockade, because they force people to consider using something other than public shuttles. I think pods should auto-crash land within 7000 range or so, though, just like ejecting.[/quote:3qzpfpas]

I think both of those are good idea’s. It might help fix this war issue I’ve seen where one clan rules space and the other has all the ground combat guys. So both just kinda sit around until they are forced to collide.

It would make having people on the ground a very valuable asset when using ships in space. They are the mop up crew, or the POW capture squad. Depending on how big of an overhaul is done to blockade, they could also control the landing pads so that if it was possible for someone to launch and get away, now they have to fight or stealth their way to a ship, and escape a blockade.

• Inactive
      October 30, 2010 at 3:15 am #15515

I really dont have any problem with the ease of dying. It is somewhat realistic that way, and I almost allways play combatants and put myself in shitty situations that I still manage to live a good long while on most of them. What is shitty is being killed with little or no rp wether it be on the ground or even more likely in space. At the moment it is rediculously easy for the pilot of a capital ship to kill anything that isnt in a ship the same size as him. There is supposed to be an incentive to let people go but apparently that doesnt apply in space. It is also rediculously easy for them to figure out how many people are on a ship and what their names are. I mean come on, even with the death star they had to wait until they had captured the ship and even after searching they had to bring in an in ship scanning crew. It all may be a bit jumbled together but its my 2 cents.

• Avanga Member
      October 30, 2010 at 3:35 am #15519

Well the space thing all goes back to the space combat overhaul I requested a long while ago. Sounds as if Rojan touched on some of it but never got around to doing much with it. What I’d originally proposed was a system like this:

[b:3j63pmig]Starfighter > Capship > Midship > Starfighter

Starfighters[/b:3j63pmig] should be untouchable by capships – I mean, why not? They can SCRAMBLE MORE STARFIGHTERS (It’s why they’re called Interceptors, people!). This gives people in a starfighter enough time to escape, while giving the capship pilot a job that isn’t retardedly easy and, at the same time, not impossible (tractor them until you can scramble your starfighters or capture them).

[b:3j63pmig]Capships[/b:3j63pmig] would utterly demolish midships. This is made alright by the fact that midships have escape pods, and most midships won’t be crossing a capship anyways.

[b:3j63pmig]Midships[/b:3j63pmig] own starfighters because they have smaller turbolaser batteries meant to destroy smaller vessels. Maybe even remodel the Gunship class of ships so that they serve a purpose – destroying starfighters.

And the cycle continues on and on and on. That is how balance is made. Rock, scissors, paper.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 136 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.