Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium A Call for Open Discussion
This topic has 113 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 13 years, 6 months ago by Drel.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 114 total)
    • Inactive
      October 31, 2010 at 4:29 pm #15659

The two minute rule is rediculously dumb anyway. It should be at least five minutes.

• Avanga Member
      October 31, 2010 at 4:50 pm #15660

It’s actually ten minutes.

• Corey Participant
      October 31, 2010 at 5:00 pm #15661
      "Avanga":3tx307re wrote:
      It’s actually ten minutes.[/quote:3tx307re]

"Rules1 Helpfile":3tx307re wrote:
      (6) It is illegal to log out, go link-dead or AFK while being attacked,
      arrested, or knowingly, and actively hunted or tracked by another player. You
      must wait 2 minutes after reaching a hotel or home to establish that you are no
      longer being pursued. If pursuers reach you before 2 minutes is up, the option
      to log out from that room is lost.[/quote:3tx307re]
    • Kora Participant
      October 31, 2010 at 8:26 pm #15677

Using the code to enforce rule 6 would be awesome, and not just because it would prevent cheating. The rule as it is right now is fairly complicated.. people run around for two minutes thinking they’ve done their bit because they remembered something about two minutes being in the rule… but that doesn’t satisfy what they’re supposed to do. They’re supposed to stand in the hotel room for two minutes, ensuring that they’re not being chased anymore.

However, on the other hand, this rule [i:28q0wlg5]is[/i:28q0wlg5] very complex, and in a lot of ways not well-suited for code enforcement. Being pursued by somebody and being in combat with them is not the same thing, how would the code know the difference between two people having a friendly conversation or a screaming match? How would the code know that it ended with "Alright, I’m heading to bed. See you tomorrow." or "YOU’LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE!"?

If the ability (or inability) to log out while being chased is hard coded into the game then people stop feeling responsible for things the code does allow them to do, regardless of whether or not it’s against the rules. "The code doesn’t let me log out when I’m not supposed to, so if it lets me I’m allowed to. It doesn’t matter that I know the Empire is hunting me down trying to arrest me for running their blockade, there was no combat so the rule doesn’t apply."

• Drel Member
      October 31, 2010 at 8:39 pm #15680
      "Rojan QDel":1ibvc7w2 wrote:
      Due to the way player objects are handled, it would be very difficult/risky to outcast/demote offline players unless we completely redid the way clan affiliations were saved and loaded. As for deleted divisions, it wouldn’t be too hard to be able to specify a transfer division that all of the people get moved to when you delete it.[/quote:1ibvc7w2]
      Could you make it so the outcasting/demotion/division changing goes into a buffer that activates the moment the victim logs on?
    • Corey Participant
      October 31, 2010 at 8:42 pm #15682
      "Kora":3ikun4y9 wrote:
      Using the code to enforce rule 6 would be awesome, and not just because it would prevent cheating. The rule as it is right now is fairly complicated.. people run around for two minutes thinking they’ve done their bit because they remembered something about two minutes being in the rule… but that doesn’t satisfy what they’re supposed to do. They’re supposed to stand in the hotel room for two minutes, ensuring that they’re not being chased anymore.

However, on the other hand, this rule [i:3ikun4y9]is[/i:3ikun4y9] very complex, and in a lot of ways not well-suited for code enforcement. Being pursued by somebody and being in combat with them is not the same thing, how would the code know the difference between two people having a friendly conversation or a screaming match? How would the code know that it ended with "Alright, I’m heading to bed. See you tomorrow." or "YOU’LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE!"?

If the ability (or inability) to log out while being chased is hard coded into the game then people stop feeling responsible for things the code does allow them to do, regardless of whether or not it’s against the rules. "The code doesn’t let me log out when I’m not supposed to, so if it lets me I’m allowed to. It doesn’t matter that I know the Empire is hunting me down trying to arrest me for running their blockade, there was no combat so the rule doesn’t apply."[/quote:3ikun4y9]

This is all true, but I think adding it in there for actual physical combat being started…is better than it not being in there.

• Fishy Participant
      October 31, 2010 at 9:54 pm #15692

I like the buffer idea and it sounds feasible.

• chuckinator Member
      November 1, 2010 at 9:03 pm #15706

A few things:

Debts/Loans –
      A lot of players make a loan to another. I don’t think that straight up wiring money is a good idea due to potential for abuse (bounce the funds around your aim clique until one of your alts basically gave creds to another), but it’s a pain to line up online times. Instead of giving someone money, you can loan it to them. You specify how much to give them, you specify either how much you want back or a per diem interest rate (could encourage them to pay up quicker), and they can make their payments to a bank terminal.

Ship financing –
      The rent-to-own programs that I’ve seen starting up are good, but it would be awesome to have a financing system in place. The person selling you a ship sets a downpayment (has to be paid then and there), total price, buyer (can just be an alias. people are weird about names for good reason). Until the buyer has made all payments at a bank terminal, they get access to the ship in a way similar to pirateship, but the moment they pay it off, ownership changes. This is a royal PITA if you buy a ship from someone not in a clan and you’re working in different timezones and different online times. It could also make the process for eng. clans easier.

Cargo ship rental –
      Currently, cargo rentals and the owner/pilot split is all on the honor system. Yeah, all well and good, but it’d be nice to be able to have a code system to offer ships for rental. If could require IC RP (which I would prefer to see), or have some sort of automated terminal similar to taxis. You set a bank account, a rental deposit amount (could just be ship value), and an owner percentage between 0-50%. Everytime freight is sold at a terminal, the owners percentage is dumped into the specified bank account.

Dropships –
      Have some sort of drop ships that can land on a planet ridiculously fast. Might need to be reserved to only capital class ships or better. Similar to an escape pod, but have your troops line up in a designated dropship room, pull a lever, and BOOM, they launch and the ship lands the moment it hits orbit. Maybe have the occupants take a certain HP loss (200-500 HP? 20-40% of their max HP?), but your strike team is on the ground and ready to enter the fray without the chance of getting blown out of orbit by the enemy star destroyer.

Reloadable escape pods –
      Ok, this needs to be a reasonably high enough price to offset the whole "let’s just refuel with an escape pod" trick, but it would be good to reload escape pods into a ship the way that rockets, chaff, etc. are reloading. Make them somewhere in the range of 25k-75k credits so that it actually costs more to refuel via an escape pod instead of reloading from a hangared interceptor (cost for the clan to build one, not retail pricing).

Variable kick & circle echo message –
      No one is a stranger to the kick/circle spam. I’m not proposing to change the behavior of the commands, but atleast add a pool of something like 10-25 different possible output messages so there’s some variety in the echo output.

doctor cybernetic removal skill –
      Ok, some newbie buys and gets a bioplug installed…
      Allow someone with doctoring 100+ (same as the ‘cyber’ skill) able to remove cybernetics from someone. Have the cybernetic destroy or be damaged on removal. Possibly add it as a toggle similar to +clone to prevent jerks from abusing the system to harass people.

player to player stat training –
      If someone has a higher stat than you (STR, DEX, CON, etc), they could offer to train you. Would be a good way to get your clan recruits up to speed and trained at base without loading the base up with stat trainers (which I don’t think is done, nor should it be). This is an iffy idea because the danger of your newbie clan recruits is nulled if the clan affiliation is removed from a background lookup.

repair skills for holsters, comlinks, datapads, etc –
      Currently, nearly everything a player would be holding can be repaired except holsters, comlinks, datapads, a few other minor things that players hold in their hands (hydrospanners?). If it exists, give us a means to maintain it beyond hoarding a stockpile of them.

I’m sure I could think of more, but these are the big things that I think would improve the overall play experience. I desire some less than others, but a lot of these would be excellent improvements to the gaming experience.

• Corey Participant
      November 1, 2010 at 9:11 pm #15707

+ 1 for Reload escape pods, cybernetics removing, repairing holsters/comlinks/datapads

• Kirash Participant
      November 1, 2010 at 10:06 pm #15708
      "chuckinator":6to9twlq wrote:
      A few things:

Debts/Loans –
      A lot of players make a loan to another. I don’t think that straight up wiring money is a good idea due to potential for abuse (bounce the funds around your aim clique until one of your alts basically gave creds to another), but it’s a pain to line up online times. Instead of giving someone money, you can loan it to them. You specify how much to give them, you specify either how much you want back or a per diem interest rate (could encourage them to pay up quicker), and they can make their payments to a bank terminal.
      [/quote:6to9twlq]

Can’t comment on this either way. I’ve never had to borrow credits from other players before.

Ship financing –
      The rent-to-own programs that I’ve seen starting up are good, but it would be awesome to have a financing system in place. The person selling you a ship sets a downpayment (has to be paid then and there), total price, buyer (can just be an alias. people are weird about names for good reason). Until the buyer has made all payments at a bank terminal, they get access to the ship in a way similar to pirateship, but the moment they pay it off, ownership changes. This is a royal PITA if you buy a ship from someone not in a clan and you’re working in different timezones and different online times. It could also make the process for eng. clans easier.

Yes please.

Cargo ship rental –
      Currently, cargo rentals and the owner/pilot split is all on the honor system. Yeah, all well and good, but it’d be nice to be able to have a code system to offer ships for rental. If could require IC RP (which I would prefer to see), or have some sort of automated terminal similar to taxis. You set a bank account, a rental deposit amount (could just be ship value), and an owner percentage between 0-50%. Everytime freight is sold at a terminal, the owners percentage is dumped into the specified bank account.

I’m all for this as well. We all know how much an "honor system" means to the general playerbase.

Dropships –
      Have some sort of drop ships that can land on a planet ridiculously fast. Might need to be reserved to only capital class ships or better. Similar to an escape pod, but have your troops line up in a designated dropship room, pull a lever, and BOOM, they launch and the ship lands the moment it hits orbit. Maybe have the occupants take a certain HP loss (200-500 HP? 20-40% of their max HP?), but your strike team is on the ground and ready to enter the fray without the chance of getting blown out of orbit by the enemy star destroyer.

A part of me is screaming "NO!" at this, but another part of me can see the utility.

Reloadable escape pods –
      Ok, this needs to be a reasonably high enough price to offset the whole "let’s just refuel with an escape pod" trick, but it would be good to reload escape pods into a ship the way that rockets, chaff, etc. are reloading. Make them somewhere in the range of 25k-75k credits so that it actually costs more to refuel via an escape pod instead of reloading from a hangared interceptor (cost for the clan to build one, not retail pricing).

I agree that escape pods should be reloadable. Make it cost more than 75k.

Variable kick & circle echo message –
      No one is a stranger to the kick/circle spam. I’m not proposing to change the behavior of the commands, but atleast add a pool of something like 10-25 different possible output messages so there’s some variety in the echo output.

If it ain’t broke…

Allow someone with doctoring 100+ (same as the ‘cyber’ skill) able to remove cybernetics from someone. Have the cybernetic destroy or be damaged on removal. Possibly add it as a toggle similar to +clone to prevent jerks from abusing the system to harass people.

I’m kinda on the fence about this one. Maybe give the cybernetic an extra chance to hospitalize/perm when trying to remove it depending on how long it was installed. The longer it is in your body, the more integrated it will be in your systems… especially if we’re talking about the brain implants. So starting off, it will have the same chance to hospitalize/perm as installing an implant, but the longer it stays in, the higher the risk.

Also, if an implant is removed, then all associated level bonuses would be reverted as well. I’m sure this goes without saying, but I can see some douche installing/removing implants all the way to 150 in every level.

I’m leaning towards no on this one unless some serious restrictions are put in place.

If someone has a higher stat than you (STR, DEX, CON, etc), they could offer to train you. Would be a good way to get your clan recruits up to speed and trained at base without loading the base up with stat trainers (which I don’t think is done, nor should it be). This is an iffy idea because the danger of your newbie clan recruits is nulled if the clan affiliation is removed from a background lookup.

Sure. Why not. Limit it to leadership mains like we already do with level training.

repair skills for holsters, comlinks, datapads, etc –
      Currently, nearly everything a player would be holding can be repaired except holsters, comlinks, datapads, a few other minor things that players hold in their hands (hydrospanners?). If it exists, give us a means to maintain it beyond hoarding a stockpile of them.

Please please please please please please can we have this?

I’m sure I could think of more, but these are the big things that I think would improve the overall play experience. I desire some less than others, but a lot of these would be excellent improvements to the gaming experience.[/quote:6to9twlq]

For the most part, I agree with you.

• chuckinator Member
      November 1, 2010 at 10:34 pm #15709
      "Kirash":1zonfsqt wrote:
      "chuckinator":1zonfsqt wrote:
      A few things:

[/quote:1zonfsqt]

I’m kinda on the fence about this one. Maybe give the cybernetic an extra chance to hospitalize/perm when trying to remove it depending on how long it was installed. The longer it is in your body, the more integrated it will be in your systems… especially if we’re talking about the brain implants. So starting off, it will have the same chance to hospitalize/perm as installing an implant, but the longer it stays in, the higher the risk.

Also, if an implant is removed, then all associated level bonuses would be reverted as well. I’m sure this goes without saying, but I can see some douche installing/removing implants all the way to 150 in every level.

I’m leaning towards no on this one unless some serious restrictions are put in place.

[/quote:1zonfsqt]

Sure. Why not. Limit it to leadership mains like we already do with level training.

[/quote:1zonfsqt][/quote:1zonfsqt]

I 100% support Kirash’s addendums and conditions to my earlier post.

• chuckinator Member
      November 1, 2010 at 10:37 pm #15710

Oh, also add a [b:15db3b09]makemicrophone[/b:15db3b09] skill.

• Zeromus Participant
      November 2, 2010 at 1:04 am #15713

Actually enforce help restring.

• Drel Member
      November 2, 2010 at 2:21 am #15718
      "chuckinator":p7jhp0ls wrote:
      Oh, also add a [b:p7jhp0ls]makemicrophone[/b:p7jhp0ls] skill.[/quote:p7jhp0ls]
      Challenge accepted. No promise it’ll make it in-game, though.
    • Corey Participant
      November 2, 2010 at 3:40 am #15727

This is something that would need to be brainstormed on a bit. I’d like to see a way to present character concepts, clan creation concepts etc…to the IMMs for opinions and so on…but not having to use IMMchat or bug them on their personal IM’s. I know we could email them with the info, but the majority of my emails don’t seem to actually get to anyone anyways…generally falling through the cracks, spam folder….or whatever happens to them that gets the "I didn’t see an email from you" message. At first I thought that we could have a separate forum section to get input, but if you’re wanting it to be a secret crime clan or whatever…posting that info up for everyone who bothers to check the forums, isn’t a great idea. Perhaps a hidden section of the forum for those that have requested to be in the discussion, those we know are seasoned players who would offer honest critiques and assistance for the ideas?

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 114 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.