Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium What we should be able to purchase with points
This topic has 51 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 13 years, 1 month ago by Fishy.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
    • Anna Member
      November 2, 2010 at 2:13 am #1576

Where would you like to be able to spend your hard earned points?

Force will be reduced to 10,000 points next timeline.

Stats were suggested.
      Extra levels beyond your natural max has been thrown out there.

Please discuss.

• Drel Member
      November 2, 2010 at 2:25 am #15719
      "Anna":1ckriq8f wrote:

Stats were suggested.

Please discuss.[/quote:1ckriq8f]
      I’m behind both of those suggestions (albeit, only marginally behind the second, and I think you should have to pay points AND give up some other levels).

How about being able to pay small amounts of points for minor roleplay things, like hair colors your race normally can’t have, or skin colors your race normally doesn’t have (but conceivably could, like a pale Lorrdian–an albino!)?

How about paying account points to make your starting credits higher?

Or your starting skill percentages higher, so you don’t have to waste time researching?

Pay points to START with certain feats instead of having to track them down?

Really, the point of points (pun intended) was to make it easier to get "back on your feet"–so why not make points able to do pretty much everything but equipping a character? Training, leveling, researching, et al.

• Corey Participant
      November 2, 2010 at 2:53 am #15723
      "Anna":1x29afkf wrote:

Stats were suggested.

Please discuss.[/quote:1x29afkf]

I think these examples are all good things in my opinion.

• DCLXVI Member
      November 2, 2010 at 3:02 am #15724

I like being able to buy levels beyond your natural maxes. I had a post a while back that said something about deeper customization that allows you to mold races into unique roles. For instance, a skilled Bothan BHer. A workable Zabrak engineer. etc (going off of levels on the wiki). This could also work with stat increases and what have you. The Bothan could be pretty big with 25 strength, Zabrak with 25 int, etc.

• chuckinator Member
      November 2, 2010 at 3:18 am #15726
      "DCLXVI":3ciyqfxx wrote:
      I like being able to buy levels beyond your natural maxes. I had a post a while back that said something about deeper customization that allows you to mold races into unique roles. For instance, [b:3ciyqfxx]a skilled Bothan BHer[/b:3ciyqfxx]. A workable Zabrak engineer. etc (going off of levels on the wiki). This could also work with stat increases and what have you. The Bothan could be pretty big with 25 strength, Zabrak with 25 int, etc.[/quote:3ciyqfxx]

Make that a Duros bounty hunter, and I’m all on board.

• Kora Participant
      November 2, 2010 at 6:56 am #15737
      "Drel":20mppwoa wrote:
      …I think you should have to pay points AND give up some other levels.[/quote:20mppwoa]
      I agree. I actually came up with this really elaborate and altogether too confusing to implement system to allow players to drastically alter their characters to get a nice unique level set that would also carefully balance out those skills that are really supposed to be really rare AND stop things from getting twinky… but like I said, it was too confusing to ever be newbie friendly. However! The gist of it was that you could sacrifice levels in certain classes to boost up other levels above what you would’ve otherwise rolled.

(It was actually, technically, optional, and therefore [i:20mppwoa]could[/i:20mppwoa] be made to be newbie friendly… but I think it will require some refinement before it’s even straightforward enough for me to explain properly.)

• Zeromus Participant
      November 2, 2010 at 11:59 am #15742

I don’t really like the idea of being able to just buy more levels on your maxes, unless it’s via force, obviously.

However, what I have been rolling around my head is the idea of paying points to swap racial bonuses around, within a certain range, and you’d only be able to increase classes that start off negative.

For instance, with a Duros:

[quote:xxe3v59l] combat Modifier: -15
      piloting Modifier: +50
      engineering Modifier: +30
      bounty hunting Modifier: -35
      smuggling Modifier: +20
      diplomacy Modifier: +5
      leadership Modifier: -10
      force Modifier: +0
      espionage Modifier: -20
      slicer Modifier: +20
      medical Modifier: -15
      science Modifier: +20[/quote:xxe3v59l]

You pay a certain amount of points, and you get to swap two bonuses. You decide to sacrifice 30 levels of engineering. You select engineering, type in 30, and it gives you the choices of bounty hunting, combat, leadership, espionage, or medical to increase.

You pick combat, which starts off at -15. It brings you up to a +15 combat bonus, but at a loss of +30 engineering, so now your engineering bonus is 0.

I’m really tired, hopefully that made sense, and it’s probably similar to something someone else has suggested here.

• Direz Participant
      November 2, 2010 at 2:53 pm #15751

I like the ability ti buy above cap or change stat delegations….

Mainly becuase there are race-class combos that just dont work and the RP would be amazing.

IE Leader/Smuggler

• Coreceren Member
      November 2, 2010 at 3:18 pm #15752

I think lowering the Force price that much is overdoing it – 20k is a ton but 10k is too little. Considering how unbalanced Forcers are right now (not that they shouldn’t be unbalanced), and how many there are right now (way more than I expected), I could see era 3 being packed with Forcers. Saying that people won’t awaken them is poorly reasoned – it’s always an arms race, and more for your side (light/dark) is always better and it’s always zero-sum: If you don’t awaken the kid, someone else will. 15k might be a better call, and see what kind of effect that has on the Forcer pop. I think swinging down to 10k is overkill.

Buying levels above your race/class max would imply knowing what those maxes are, which isn’t a bad thing. If someone wants to roll a Bao-Dur or a Cad Bane or even a Leia (Naboo diplo/smug) let them spend some points to live the dream. I think it’d be awesome.

• Drel Member
      November 2, 2010 at 3:23 pm #15754
      "Coreceren":kxdhgdhe wrote:
      I think lowering the Force price that much is overdoing it – 20k is a ton but 10k is too little. Considering how unbalanced Forcers are right now (not that they shouldn’t be unbalanced), and how many there are right now (way more than I expected), I could see era 3 being packed with Forcers. Saying that people won’t awaken them is poorly reasoned – it’s always an arms race, and more for your side (light/dark) is always better and it’s always zero-sum: If you don’t awaken the kid, someone else will. 15k might be a better call, and see what kind of effect that has on the Forcer pop. I think swinging down to 10k is overkill.

Buying levels above your race/class max would imply knowing what those maxes are, which isn’t a bad thing. If someone wants to roll a Bao-Dur or a Cad Bane or even a Leia (Naboo diplo/smug) let them spend some points to live the dream. I think it’d be awesome.[/quote:kxdhgdhe]
      Things I agree on:
      1. Using era 3 of this timeline as a test case. Worst case, it’s an era ruined; there will be a pwipe at the end of it, so there can’t be 3984292384 forcers running around in era 1 of next timeline–like there could be in era 2, if the dropped cost goes very poorly.

Things I disagree on:
      1. The proposal wasn’t to let people actually raise their max; it was to let them change the racial bonuses, as applied. A lot more goes into your max levels than just racial bonuses.
      2. Leia is leadership-combat… she’s got high leadership, diplomacy, and decent combat.

• Slyth Member
      November 2, 2010 at 3:25 pm #15755

At first, I really liked the idea of gaining levels over what you would normally have, due to the fact that i was looking at it, said "hmm, this could be nice is i bought an awesome race and did it up", but to change the modifiers themselves, That makes me cringe at what will be done by non combat classes in the game. say for instance, you take Arkanian.

This is there normal bonuses:

[quote:3ot46oki] combat Modifier: +10
      piloting Modifier: +10
      engineering Modifier: +30
      bounty hunting Modifier: -40
      smuggling Modifier: -50
      diplomacy Modifier: +0
      leadership Modifier: +15
      espionage Modifier: +10
      slicer Modifier: +10
      medical Modifier: +50
      science Modifier: +50[/quote:3ot46oki]

I could potentially do this, when the expense of x amount of points:

[quote:3ot46oki] combat Modifier: +30
      piloting Modifier: +20
      engineering Modifier: +10
      bounty hunting Modifier: -40
      smuggling Modifier: -50
      diplomacy Modifier: +0
      leadership Modifier: +15
      espionage Modifier: +20
      slicer Modifier: +20
      medical Modifier: +40
      science Modifier: +20[quote:3ot46oki]

the assumed levels for if i was doing this would be:

[quote:3ot46oki]Combat:90+
      Piloting:100
      engineering:150
      bounty hunting:1
      smuggling: dependent on luck
      diplomacy:80+
      leadership:100+
      espionage:90+
      Slicer:108+
      Medical: 150
      Science:150[/quote:3ot46oki][/quote:3ot46oki][/quote:3ot46oki]

This would be massively over powered in my opinion.

If it was a max of 50% of one bonus turning into another bonus, maybe, but it would be best restricted to like, 20-30 level bonus changes if it were implemented imo

• Anna Member
      November 2, 2010 at 3:40 pm #15758

What if, when your character is totally maxed out. Everything is leveled, then you get a bonus buy. There would be a pre-set list of things that you could buy for your character: For 1,000 points (or whatever amount) you could get a predetermined boost in an category that your character is a little weak on. Sometimes, that’s all you need to get those few skills that you want. For 2,000 points, you could get an extra 10 force levels, if your character happens to be a forcer. ALL character would be able to choose one option, and only one option, and this process would replace applications for extra levels.

• Drel Member
      November 2, 2010 at 4:01 pm #15759
      "Anna":1xx0m0e7 wrote:
      What if, when your character is totally maxed out. Everything is leveled, then you get a bonus buy. There would be a pre-set list of things that you could buy for your character: For 1,000 points (or whatever amount) you could get a predetermined boost in an category that your character is a little weak on. Sometimes, that’s all you need to get those few skills that you want. For 2,000 points, you could get an extra 10 force levels, if your character happens to be a forcer. ALL character would be able to choose one option, and only one option, and this process would replace applications for extra levels.[/quote:1xx0m0e7]
      I’d just say maxed in their main class and any relevant subclasses (leadership for combat, science for engineering, piloting for smuggling, etc.), because, really, who’s going to go through the trouble of maxing all 20 levels of BH they get?

Or maybe just have the class they want to increase be maxed?

• Anna Member
      November 2, 2010 at 4:07 pm #15761
      "Drel":2et3aq2y wrote:
      "Anna":2et3aq2y wrote:
      What if, when your character is totally maxed out. Everything is leveled, then you get a bonus buy. There would be a pre-set list of things that you could buy for your character: For 1,000 points (or whatever amount) you could get a predetermined boost in an category that your character is a little weak on. Sometimes, that’s all you need to get those few skills that you want. For 2,000 points, you could get an extra 10 force levels, if your character happens to be a forcer. ALL character would be able to choose one option, and only one option, and this process would replace applications for extra levels.[/quote:2et3aq2y]
      I’d just say maxed in their main class and any relevant subclasses (leadership for combat, science for engineering, piloting for smuggling, etc.), because, really, who’s going to go through the trouble of maxing all 20 levels of BH they get?[/quote:2et3aq2y]

I’m okay with that. Well, with the main class, not the subclasses unless Rojan thinks it can be coded in just as easily.

• Slyth Member
      November 2, 2010 at 4:08 pm #15762
      "Anna":1ubsjoeq wrote:
      What if, when your character is totally maxed out. Everything is leveled, then you get a bonus buy. There would be a pre-set list of things that you could buy for your character: For 1,000 points (or whatever amount) you could get a predetermined boost in an category that your character is a little weak on. Sometimes, that’s all you need to get those few skills that you want. For 2,000 points, you could get an extra 10 force levels, if your character happens to be a forcer. ALL character would be able to choose one option, and only one option, and this process would replace applications for extra levels.[/quote:1ubsjoeq]

I think that would work out well, if it was changing levels when you are done leveling your main, through imms, but in reality, don’t level increases barely ever happen in the mud through apps? I thought it would never happen for me so i didn’t bother even applying for it ever. if this makes it so points can do it, If the apps are actually being approved on a rare case, why not just have point purchases of levels for the ones who want it right away, and apps could still be sent in for special situations.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.