Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium What we should be able to purchase with points
This topic has 51 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 13 years, 1 month ago by Fishy.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
    • Anna Member
      November 2, 2010 at 4:34 pm #15765
      "Slicerin_Craft":2d8de7yg wrote:
      "Anna":2d8de7yg wrote:
      What if, when your character is totally maxed out. Everything is leveled, then you get a bonus buy. There would be a pre-set list of things that you could buy for your character: For 1,000 points (or whatever amount) you could get a predetermined boost in an category that your character is a little weak on. Sometimes, that’s all you need to get those few skills that you want. For 2,000 points, you could get an extra 10 force levels, if your character happens to be a forcer. ALL character would be able to choose one option, and only one option, and this process would replace applications for extra levels.[/quote:2d8de7yg]

I think that would work out well, if it was changing levels when you are done leveling your main, through imms, but in reality, don’t level increases barely ever happen in the mud through apps? I thought it would never happen for me so i didn’t bother even applying for it ever. if this makes it so points can do it, If the apps are actually being approved on a rare case, why not just have point purchases of levels for the ones who want it right away, and apps could still be sent in for special situations.[/quote:2d8de7yg]

I mean for this system to totally replace applying for level bonuses at all. I’m so sick of the red tape, guys.

• Slyth Member
      November 2, 2010 at 4:41 pm #15766
      "Anna":129mngbl wrote:
      "Slicerin_Craft":129mngbl wrote:
      "Anna":129mngbl wrote:
      What if, when your character is totally maxed out. Everything is leveled, then you get a bonus buy. There would be a pre-set list of things that you could buy for your character: For 1,000 points (or whatever amount) you could get a predetermined boost in an category that your character is a little weak on. Sometimes, that’s all you need to get those few skills that you want. For 2,000 points, you could get an extra 10 force levels, if your character happens to be a forcer. ALL character would be able to choose one option, and only one option, and this process would replace applications for extra levels.[/quote:129mngbl]

I think that would work out well, if it was changing levels when you are done leveling your main, through imms, but in reality, don’t level increases barely ever happen in the mud through apps? I thought it would never happen for me so i didn’t bother even applying for it ever. if this makes it so points can do it, If the apps are actually being approved on a rare case, why not just have point purchases of levels for the ones who want it right away, and apps could still be sent in for special situations.[/quote:129mngbl]

I mean for this system to totally replace applying for level bonuses at all. I’m so sick of the red tape, guys.[/quote:129mngbl]

The only reason i suggested it is because some people may want to play a unique class combo, they get into it, and they need more levels than purchasable in a single category to make their class work. If you see no need for applications, i would assume the points system can do whatever is needed anyways. I really would like to see this implemented.(lol, would be op for some classes though, like jawa.)

• Coreceren Member
      November 2, 2010 at 4:58 pm #15767
      "Anna":4qcr9cz7 wrote:
      What if, when your character is totally maxed out. Everything is leveled, then you get a bonus buy. There would be a pre-set list of things that you could buy for your character: For 1,000 points (or whatever amount) you could get a predetermined boost in an category that your character is a little weak on. Sometimes, that’s all you need to get those few skills that you want. For 2,000 points, you could get an extra 10 force levels, if your character happens to be a forcer. ALL character would be able to choose one option, and only one option, and this process would replace applications for extra levels.[/quote:4qcr9cz7]

I’d be down for that. Hell, I could use that +10 right now. /like this idea, even if that means I have to totally max this toon.

• Locksharp Participant
      November 2, 2010 at 5:47 pm #15776
      "Anna":1bm0uswh wrote:
      I mean for this system to totally replace applying for level bonuses at all. I’m so sick of the red tape, guys.[/quote:1bm0uswh]

<3<3<3<3

That aside.

The buying-past-your-normal-domain-of-levels aspect should -not- have a drawback to it. Say I’m rolling a Mandalorian engineer ( who, by the way, should have decent engineering levels anyway… ) and I want more than my 100 or so or whatever levels I get, because I want to buildship. Okay. I could pay… 500 points per ten levels? To get to that rate. But I should not have to sacrifice anything else to do it, especially at how high a cost that is.

And it should only be allowed for one class.

As far as the after-you-get-maxed-in-everything-be-able-to-buy-more-levels idea, how exactly would that work? o_O Would it freeze you like how not having a history/desc/account does, and you can’t go on until you decide?

• hiro Participant
      November 2, 2010 at 6:17 pm #15783

I fully support the idea of being able to boost any one class per character up to 15-20 max levels. (besides force, obviously)
      I don’t think we should have to sacrifice anything for it, the point cost should be enough that it is a significant barrier of entry.

This would go really far into fixing all the "my bh can’t hide, etc." problems, would allow a lot of people to round out their characters and/or crest or adept a skill they wouldn’t have otherwise, which I see as being positive. It really won’t make anyone super-powered, by and large.

• Muddledde Member
      November 2, 2010 at 6:32 pm #15792

I’ve sent in a suggestion about this before:

Offer points for credits, ships, or equipment for advanced character creation. This allows a character to come into the universe with the credits, equipment, ships, that his background shows, thus helping with RP.

I have not sent in a suggestion for this though:
      If we are going to be able to just switch shit around, why not just have a "unique" race, or "sub-human" that you can use advanced creation to apply your own points, up to a limited amount to be used. Or use your points to reset the racial bonuses of a chosen races and make them you’re own. Let me throw out an example:

Duros: Total Modifier = 50 (-15+50+30-35+20+5-10+0-20+20-15+20)
      combat Modifier: -15
      piloting Modifier: +50
      engineering Modifier: +30
      bounty hunting Modifier: -35
      smuggling Modifier: +20
      diplomacy Modifier: +5
      leadership Modifier: -10
      force Modifier: +0
      espionage Modifier: -20
      slicer Modifier: +20
      medical Modifier: -15
      science Modifier: +20

Now, somebody could purchase this race, and in the advanced section rearrange the skills to something outside the norm for that race. The new selection should be able to use the total modifier of the race, but with a little less points (because they are out of their norm). Let’s say the User-Made Duros skill selection points will be at 40 now.

Purchase the Duros, then send 500 more account points to "reset" the current racial stats.
      Duros BH: Total Modifier = 40 (can’t go over 40 points)
      combat Modifier: +50
      piloting Modifier: +15
      engineering Modifier: -30
      bounty hunting Modifier: +50
      smuggling Modifier: +0
      diplomacy Modifier: -30
      leadership Modifier: -30
      force Modifier: +0
      espionage Modifier: -30
      slicer Modifier: +20
      medical Modifier: +25
      science Modifier: +0
      A mainly head first character of BH, focusing on some medical for healing. He doesn’t put a lot into smuggling or espionage and prefers to use explosives to get through doors when he can. Left some point in piloting for bigger ships and the possibility of higher survivability in space combat. This is just an example.

[b:vpg4oop1]About the "unique" human or "sub-human."[/b:vpg4oop1]
      Purchase the race with a deposit of 500, and a price of 500. The race will start with a 10 point maximum. There will be an option to purchase a higher maximum; every 500 (or 1000, or whatever) points will increase the cap by 10. So somebody chooses to drop 3000 points into the race will get a character with a max of 50 points to play with (or 30 if the cost is 1000 per 10). Of course limits should be set. Somebody dropping 20k points with have a max of 200 points.

Purchasing Force levels should be more expensive. 5 points per +modifier? So that person who dropped 20k account points could purchase a forcer with +40 levels of force, if he put all his 200 points into force. I think 5 per + is a decent balance for force increase.

• Oteri Participant
      November 2, 2010 at 7:55 pm #15805
      "Anna":1nstez2u wrote:
      What if, when your character is totally maxed out. Everything is leveled, then you get a bonus buy. There would be a pre-set list of things that you could buy for your character: For 1,000 points (or whatever amount) you could get a predetermined boost in an category that your character is a little weak on. Sometimes, that’s all you need to get those few skills that you want. For 2,000 points, you could get an extra 10 force levels, if your character happens to be a forcer. ALL character would be able to choose one option, and only one option, and this process would replace applications for extra levels.[/quote:1nstez2u]

Would this be a one time option only? If so, I totally support it. If not, I suggest making it a one time thing. Cuz otherwise…2k points for 10 force levels? Sheeeiiiiitt…..

*EDIT*

Instead of all that complex math, why not call it 5k points for a 20 lvl boost to ONE class that DOESN’T have to be your main?

• Drel Member
      November 2, 2010 at 8:10 pm #15806
      "Oteri":64wbrgeh wrote:
      "Anna":64wbrgeh wrote:
      What if, when your character is totally maxed out. Everything is leveled, then you get a bonus buy. There would be a pre-set list of things that you could buy for your character: For 1,000 points (or whatever amount) you could get a predetermined boost in an category that your character is a little weak on. Sometimes, that’s all you need to get those few skills that you want. For 2,000 points, you could get an extra 10 force levels, if your character happens to be a forcer. ALL character would be able to choose one option, and only one option, and this process would replace applications for extra levels.[/quote:64wbrgeh]

Would this be a one time option only? If so, I totally support it. If not, I suggest making it a one time thing. Cuz otherwise…2k points for 10 force levels? Sheeeiiiiitt…..

*EDIT*

Instead of all that complex math, why not call it 5k points for a 20 lvl boost to ONE class that DOESN’T have to be your main?[/quote:64wbrgeh]
      I’d say give it a couple of options: a small bonus, in any class but your main, or a guaranteed (or close to it… so no Gamorrean Slicer!) 150 in your main. Because, really, you should be able to 150 your main if you work at it.

• Locksharp Participant
      November 2, 2010 at 8:31 pm #15809
      "Oteri":elyuznyh wrote:
      Instead of all that complex math, why not call it 5k points for a 20 lvl boost to ONE class that DOESN’T have to be your main?[/quote:elyuznyh]

Having a menu that opens up much like how the stats-choosing/level-buying thing in chargen goes, that lets you choose one class to modify, however much you have the points for, is something that’s much much better than that, because it allows for more possibility.

5k is -way- too much for something like this though, I believe. 500 points per ten levels is cutting it if you’re going to try and make an RP-unique character as it is. Getting the 5k points for getting a 100 to a 150 ( if that happens to be what you’re going for ) is a hard enough bit anyway, and that’s just for someone’s main.

Say I’m rolling a … Senator. I’m going to roll a Wookiee engineer. A wookiee engineer does not get shiny diplo levels. But I still want them to have enough to leadplanet so they’d make a decent senator. Wookiees are already expensive as it is, 500 points is a very decent thing for 10 levels, considering how many times that’s going to have to be multiplied. This kind of system makes a Wookiee senator -possible- though, without direct immortal intervention.

• Troll Participant
      November 2, 2010 at 10:09 pm #15812

After fully leveled and your character met some other requirements (time played or something?), you could buy +25 levels in ONE class and only ONCE using 1000 points. Same for Force, only +10 levels costing 2,000.

• Drel Member
      November 2, 2010 at 10:32 pm #15817
      "Troll":35tcoa5o wrote:
      After fully leveled and your character met some other requirements (time played or something?), you could buy +25 levels in ONE class and only ONCE using 1000 points. Same for Force, only +10 levels costing 2,000.[/quote:35tcoa5o]
      No, because +25 isn’t enough for some of the race/main combos that are infamous for not 150’ing their mains, even with work.
    • Muddledde Member
      November 2, 2010 at 11:16 pm #15821

I would love to have the ability to purchase some extra levels. Currently, I have two away from where I was trying to get on one of my characters.

• coffinc Participant
      November 3, 2010 at 12:31 am #15827

[quote:xh7vrz09]How about being able to pay small amounts of points for minor roleplay things, like hair colors your race normally can’t have, or skin colors your race normally doesn’t have (but conceivably could, like a pale Lorrdian–an albino!)?[/quote:xh7vrz09]

These can be applied for easily. I know we’re trying to get rid of red tape, but I’ve applied for a skincolor in the past, it was perfectly simple, and I didn’t have to spend points on it.

[quote:xh7vrz09]How about paying account points to make your starting credits higher?[/quote:xh7vrz09]

I’m pretty sure you could con me into throwing RPC cases for this. Oh my god, please, for the love of all that’s holy, yes.

(Also, kidding about cases.)

[quote:xh7vrz09]Or your starting skill percentages higher, so you don’t have to waste time researching?[/quote:xh7vrz09]

Since I’d assume these are all, obviously, optional… sure.

[quote:xh7vrz09]Pay points to START with certain feats instead of having to track them down?[/quote:xh7vrz09]

I think that has potential to remove RP from the situation, when that’s something we’re really trying to get to in this game. (Aren’t we?) Granted, there’s plenty of times I’ve seen ‘Hay where can I haz training for ship pingz plz?’ and three or four people pipe up right away. But that goes both ways. Sometimes you ask for IC info and it’s just a wall of silence.

What I’d love to see, though, (and I think got suggested already in the PK thread) was to be able to spend any amount of points I please on any amount of levels I please, stat mins/max losses be damned. The 1k/2k thing seems kind of silly and arbitrary to me.

And has someone given Rojan and Sintaka the heads up? When we all get done with this on forums, Anna types it all up and submits it, and the two of them start reading it, I’d like to see their looks of horror on webcam or something, and the eventual fainting.

• Corey Participant
      November 3, 2010 at 9:22 pm #15857

Here’s an idea that might not be supportable or even supported by the players/staff, but I figured I’d toss it out there. There are always times when people really seem to want to play a specific race, but there’s always heated debates on if that race is "good enough" to be added in or whatever reasons there are. However, this doesn’t end the person’s desire to play that race. To me, it seems that a lot of these people want to play the race itself and could overall care less what the stats are. What if we allowed players to take the generic "human" race, but then they pay X amount of account points to have themselves altered to a race not in game?

Example: I really want to play a Selkath, I create using the standard human mold and once in game, I get docked X points (We’d have to decide how much this is worth) and an IMM sets me to "Selkath" and thats what I look like when people look at me or diagnose me.

• Anna Member
      November 3, 2010 at 9:35 pm #15859
      "xpuma20x":194e3y0k wrote:
      Here’s an idea that might not be supportable or even supported by the players/staff, but I figured I’d toss it out there. There are always times when people really seem to want to play a specific race, but there’s always heated debates on if that race is "good enough" to be added in or whatever reasons there are. However, this doesn’t end the person’s desire to play that race. To me, it seems that a lot of these people want to play the race itself and could overall care less what the stats are. What if we allowed players to take the generic "human" race, but then they pay X amount of account points to have themselves altered to a race not in game?

Example: I really want to play a Selkath, I create using the standard human mold and once in game, I get docked X points (We’d have to decide how much this is worth) and an IMM sets me to "Selkath" and thats what I look like when people look at me or diagnose me.[/quote:194e3y0k]

I love the idea, but I have no idea if it’s feasible or not code-wise. We’d have to wait for a post from one of the coders.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.