Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Slicer Revisions
This topic has 48 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Kirash.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
    • Ctheknight Member
      March 30, 2010 at 10:00 pm #1429

3 things.

1) Can we please get experience from skills other than showclan and showplanet? Why do we currently not get experience for remodulate (apparently the most important skill) and things like lookup?

2) Can we have a lookup <name>? I mean, sometimes you have a name but aren’t in front of the person, however, it’s not like you can’t look someone up by name. It seems like lookup almost sends their bio-data to a big server and you get a response. Which makes it useless, especially when it comes up with ‘X scans Y and waits for a response.’

3) Is there a way to find open accounts? I never did see a kind of inquire skill on the list that told you what bank accounts were open and unsecured and how much they had in them so you can hackbank. Seems like you almost need to dig icly for an account number before you can hack a bank and we all know you could hack a list of accounts easier than hacking the bank to transfer credits to your account and hide it.

• Corey Participant
      March 30, 2010 at 11:17 pm #13704
      "Ctheknight":1rjrtzfr wrote:
      3) Is there a way to find open accounts? I never did see a kind of inquire skill on the list that told you what bank accounts were open and unsecured and how much they had in them so you can hackbank. Seems like you almost need to dig icly for an account number before you can hack a bank and we all know you could hack a list of accounts easier than hacking the bank to transfer credits to your account and hide it.[/quote:1rjrtzfr]

Hack it and see what happens

On a serious note though…Slicer leveling is broken hardcore…There’s like..1 low level slicer quest…and after showplanet stops giving experience, the only skill you get experience with is showclan…max of 600experience a use and drops to 0 in about 4 uses.

• Kirash Participant
      March 31, 2010 at 12:29 am #13707

I’ve been whining about this for awhile. Good luck.

• Avanga Member
      March 31, 2010 at 12:52 am #13709

Lookup used to function like that, but it was a little bit dangerous the way it was. There would need to be some sort of limitation to it. Maybe they’d need the greet to remote lookup or something.

• Ctheknight Member
      March 31, 2010 at 1:09 am #13712
      "Avanga":ul3rstz0 wrote:
      Lookup used to function like that, but it was a little bit dangerous the way it was. There would need to be some sort of limitation to it. Maybe they’d need the greet to remote lookup or something.[/quote:ul3rstz0]

That’s what I meant by name. You’d have to provide the person’s character name. So for instance, mine is Alzie. In order to look me up by name you’d have to know, either by greet or other sources, that my name is Alzie. As long as you have my name, there’s no reason you /can’t/ get information on me. I mean, how many riarn’s or alzie’s could there possibly be in the universe?

However, if all you have to go on is Rodian Male, you’re likely to never find them and shouldn’t be able to use lookup.

To be honest though, I don’t see the issue. Lookup is what it is. It allows you to find information on people by their name. What’s overpowered about seeing someone’s Background? Oh wait, that’s right, we like to pretend that slicer’s don’t exist and that secure_account is somehow the god of all defenses.

To anyone who thinks Slicing is overpowered, well, you’re right. Why? Because even in today’s age, we’re so wired that smart hackers can be absolutely deadly, even more so than a soldier armed to the teeth. This is the way of the world and in the SW universe, where EVERYTHING is wired together, hackers would be like Armageddon. That’s just the way it is.

Now, that being said, security exists so perhaps giving people skills to either hack or secure things against hacking could be implemented. I see something like having lookup and hide. Hide makes it so you have to have the crack, made up, skill and successfully use it to get past the hide encryption/protection before you can lookup the person. This makes sense in a lot of ways. However, if a person fails, it’d send a warning to the person they’re looking up saying that someone tried to hack their data. Even more so, I’m for giving hackers a way to find other people hacking certain things.

Basically, yeah, Slicer is overpowered but it /should/ be. What matters is giving the ability to /counter/ slicing, which can be done. That’s where the problem lies. It’s not that slicer is overpowered, it’s that LotJ has no /countermeasures./

• Avanga Member
      March 31, 2010 at 1:22 am #13715

I’m cool with it so long as people need to be decrypted in person. That oughta balance that out. I’d really like to see Slicers given more power in the galaxy. Remote control ships, sabotage things… jam doing more, etc.

• Ctheknight Member
      March 31, 2010 at 1:28 am #13716
      "Avanga":973zn835 wrote:
      I’m cool with it so long as people need to be decrypted in person. That oughta balance that out. I’d really like to see Slicers given more power in the galaxy. Remote control ships, sabotage things… jam doing more, etc.[/quote:973zn835]

Me too, but realistically there’d be ways to ‘stop’ that kind of thing. Which is why people currently see slicer as overpowered. It’s not that we really /get/ anything, it’s that what we /do/ get has no viable counter.

Really, what I want to see is this. Take what you did with hackbank, secure_account and unsecure_account (or whatever it’s called) and apply those three situations to all hacker skills. Have the skill, a protection and a counter protection.

• Walldo Keymaster
      March 31, 2010 at 2:26 am #13718

Maybe I’m just beat after a long day at work but I can’t make heads or tails out of the lookup rambling in this thread. I understand the general points, though. I think.

I honestly don’t know when lookup stopped working with undubbed/greeted, but I’m 99% sure that it wasn’t an intentional thing. I don’t like remote lookup.

• Altrez Participant
      March 31, 2010 at 3:25 am #13721

YES to more slicer quests, please.

Put in a mob somewhere that’s in the middle of hacking an account or something (RP wise), and he asks you to go retrieve him a battery or a datachip because he totally forgot it. (Let’s face it, this guy is a screw up, and he needs your help.)

Badaboom, badabing, EXP.

It doesn’t have to be complicated.

• Gathorn Participant
      March 31, 2010 at 4:50 am #13722
      "Ctheknight":1mzuosf4 wrote:
      "Avanga":1mzuosf4 wrote:
      I’m cool with it so long as people need to be decrypted in person. That oughta balance that out. I’d really like to see Slicers given more power in the galaxy. Remote control ships, sabotage things… jam doing more, etc.[/quote:1mzuosf4]

Me too, but realistically there’d be ways to ‘stop’ that kind of thing. Which is why people currently see slicer as overpowered. It’s not that we really /get/ anything, it’s that what we /do/ get has no viable counter.

Really, what I want to see is this. Take what you did with hackbank, secure_account and unsecure_account (or whatever it’s called) and apply those three situations to all hacker skills. Have the skill, a protection and a counter protection.[/quote:1mzuosf4]

You can lookup undubbed/ungreeted people. The original poster, I think, wants to be able to lookup people without the person being there so long as you have a name.

• Kora Participant
      March 31, 2010 at 7:22 am #13730

I’m not even sure what to quote in this post to show what I’m responding to because (like Walldo said) most of this post sounded like vaguely lookup-related rambling. So I guess I’ll just say this:

In general, remote lookup = NONONOPLEASENO.

If it IS going to get implemented then at least don’t put in remote decrypt. You DO get a lot of info from people history files, despite what ccubed was saying. I’ll admit that most of what’s written in the player created file usually isn’t too useful (though it can occasionally include sensitive IC info), but seeing what clan they’re in, particularly during the Rebel/Empire era, is potentially big trouble.

• SgtFlippy Member
      March 31, 2010 at 8:03 am #13731
      "Kora":1fyujgp7 wrote:
      In general, remote lookup = NONONOPLEASENO.[/quote:1fyujgp7]

I’m all for saying no to this, would be so badly abused. But in some restricted way it seems like a good idea. You can lookup people but can’t remotely decrypt peoples file. Would mean if people wanted their information hidden then they could do so without it being available. Something like wiping yourself from the public information system until someone found you and updated it again.

Somehow someone always manages to mess it up for everyone else so if i had to choose, it’d be a HELL NO!

• Kirash Participant
      March 31, 2010 at 11:54 am #13735

No to Remote Lookup, yes to increasing Slicer quests, Slicer Skill Exp Gains, and the amount of Slicer skills that grant Exp.

• Ctheknight Member
      March 31, 2010 at 9:49 pm #13738
      "Kora":3mfqd4uu wrote:
      I’m not even sure what to quote in this post to show what I’m responding to because (like Walldo said) most of this post sounded like vaguely lookup-related rambling. So I guess I’ll just say this:

In general, remote lookup = NONONOPLEASENO.

If it IS going to get implemented then at least don’t put in remote decrypt. You DO get a lot of info from people history files, despite what ccubed was saying. I’ll admit that most of what’s written in the player created file usually isn’t too useful (though it can occasionally include sensitive IC info), but seeing what clan they’re in, particularly during the Rebel/Empire era, is potentially big trouble.[/quote:3mfqd4uu]

This /happened./ You can wish it away all you want but it’s /possible./ It wouldn’t be too hard to find out what clan you’re in anyways. Hell, I know which clan half the pbase is in just by listening to the channels – thanks showclan.

I’ve already said that every slicer skill should have a protection and counter protection. Would you really be complaining about lookup if I had to beat someone else’s encryption before I read it? Make the encryption strength dependent upon current slicer level, datapad modulation level, (int/wis) level (either one, maybe both) and skill percentage for the protection. This makes slicers USEFULL and gives us a REAL reason to level it. Right now i do it because leveling science sucks and useless since monday is era 2.

• SgtFlippy Member
      April 1, 2010 at 1:40 am #13741

Half the mud doesn’t talk on ooc, let alone 0 so i don’t know how you can lay claim to that. But still, its a bad idea, people amassing more greets/dubs so they can be a know all. Its bad enough with ooc communications about who’s who but this would just totally destroy people who wish to remain unknown and "shady". I still stand by either the files got no encryption and then you can check it, or is encrypted and thusly not available to anyone who isn’t in the room decrypting them. You shouldn’t be able to to be lazy and keep tabs on people, need to be clever and microphone them up and utilize cameras to find out where they go and what they do.

Sorry to say but all in all its just a generally bad idea that will have too many con’s and not enough pro’s to make it worthwhile.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.