Legends of the Jedi Forums General Chat The "Races Next Timeline" Thread
Tagged: 
This topic has 51 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by cnemus.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
    • Venengo Member
      March 5, 2013 at 5:28 pm #21222

I’d have to say I disagree with Zeromus, and that all the human-variants are heavily overplayed (raw human has bad levels if I remember it, but can’t check showrace right now). Common or not there are supposed to be hundreds of sapient races in the galaxy, and no good reason for common-humans except biasing the statistics to better relate to viewers.

Underplayed, this seemed like a pretty decently mixed timeline really. Haven’t seen a kubaz or a baragwuin in a long while, but then its not that strange that people would more often play races that are humanoid than one where they are dripping slobber, hunched over, and otherwise more complicated to accurately portray. You see it occasionally with verpines (including my first, definitely) where people have trouble portraying the more unusual species.

I do think secondary effects are a really cool thing, but they really really need to be visible in showrace. Right now I’m fairly sure Defel doesn’t tell you about their invisibility, seem to remember echani had something involving an extra attack at one time but that might’ve been removed, mandalorians and abyssin have regen right? Also negatives that aren’t visible, at one time at least Ubese couldn’t wear any form of helmet because of their need for enviro-gear, but that wasn’t obvious before buying (is it changed to be RP-enforced instead of code now, so they can make their own worthwhile helmet? I know balosar can retract antenna now.)

Otherwise I’d generally agree that right now it seems like a thing with people wanting to save up for force or the really odd races, and being dissuaded from for-cost races if they were shakey on it before. Might be better generally to shift some costs to heavier deposit over pure cost, so more people can play exotic or powerful races without blowing out their hard earned points, but maybe that would just cause inflation among long-time players?

Also as another note, I knew two non-forcer Miraluka in era 1 I’m pretty sure, one of them actually just helped run a radio station or something RP heavy, not sure what happened to them. But yeah, a lot of races definitely seem to be priced based on rarity or wanting to restrict them (afraid of people playing zeltrons as sex-maniacs maybe?) , not so much their mechanical benefits.

But then really, I’d just be happy if we went for a more open race system, where there wasn’t so much guessing about what levels you’d end up with. Mainchange definitely helps with picking a main, but doesn’t do anything on the race end.  I’ve seen races with 4’s in a trait fail to even get 130 levels with max stat, while others get 150 on a yellow. Also seems a lot more common this era/TL to end up with like, 149 max level, or 133 or similar edge cases, really a major discouragement when you had a great idea and bought a pricey race, if suddenly you can’t fufill your RP or job (clone and ping ship are pretty defining, for example).

• Henk Member
      March 5, 2013 at 6:00 pm #21223

I’ve seen shitloads of Gands this timeline and think they may be slightly overplayed(And not to mention the sheer annoyance of each of them going like Gand does this, Gand does that, Gand is Gand, all day long.) Also, as already mentioned, Zabraks. There were just a bit too many of those.

Massassi are with the Sith Empire, the only time they were used though was during BoT and some GC’s. I’d like it very much to see them available in a similar way as Mandalorians are now,  in era 1, next TL.

As for Kushiban, I’ve only seen a single one of those, but still hear everyone going on about them being bad. But, they are cute 🙂 I want one as a pet.  In all aspects really, maybe another player would do better with one.

• Corey Participant
      March 5, 2013 at 6:21 pm #21224

I second Henk’s Gand point. I’d be happy as can be if I never had to hear another Gand speak.

• Quicksilver Participant
      March 5, 2013 at 6:39 pm #21225

Gand doesn’t understand why those ones would mock Gand’s entire fucking culture thing.

• Henk Member
      March 5, 2013 at 8:33 pm #21226

It not neccecarely mocking. It just gets old when you have 3 Gands running around doing that in the same clan, at the same time..

• Seryb Participant
      March 8, 2013 at 11:57 pm #21251

Gonna have to agree with Henk. I think Gands are a cool race and I want to play one eventually but they have been played a bit often lately. I wonder… is there anyways to make it so you can’t play the same race twice in a row? Or can’t have two of the same race on an account so it kinda forces characters to differentiate the races they play. Thoughts on that idea?

• authority Member
      March 9, 2013 at 12:04 am #21252

How would that even be possible Seryb, you can make a baseline human then just make a new Gand if you wanted too.

• Seryb Participant
      March 9, 2013 at 12:38 am #21253

Heh, I didn’t think of someone doing that in all honesty. I would hope that people would actually just play a new class rather than picking a random free class and repeating their previous race if they wanted to. *shrug*

• Andvari Participant
      March 14, 2013 at 3:49 pm #21301

One thing we need to be careful with, is making sure we have a wide array of free races so that each main has a couple of viable choices.  I’m not saying to make everything free, but it’s nice to be able to choose something other than Zabrak for Combat etc etc etc

• neven Participant
      March 20, 2013 at 4:30 pm #21353

I definitely agree with Kresk conceptually in that “broken” races should just cost over 3k in price (regardless of what the deposit is) so that you’re actually definitely losing points to play something like that, just like how buying force is a cost, and not a deposit or some price that you can actually easily make back on the character’s death. I’m not really sure what the full list of broken races would be but I think most can agree that things with regen like Abyssin and Mando and such should be on there.

• Gathorn Participant
      March 20, 2013 at 10:09 pm #21354

I am retarded.

• Henk Member
      March 25, 2013 at 5:32 am #21375

Like Baxtalo mentioned about Lorrdians and Kiffar, and myself having a Corellian ;

Lorrdians and Kiffar; both were made app-only due to IC events,  which means they will no available next TL again right?

Lorrdians and Corellians; currently they get -1 and -3 wis respectively, seemingly being the only Human races that actually get a minus for wisdom. Now in the case of these two races it hurts them in a few levels, mainly that of slicer (And I agree with Baxtalo that a slicer main without 150 slicer is pretty lame). Now with slicing relying on luck for 50% when it comes to stats, and luck being a greatly annoying thing as always, the wis penalty only adds to a bad luck roll and creates things like mentioned, Baxtalo not getting 150 slicer with a Lorrdian, me being stuck on 145 slicer with a Corellian(and needing exactly 3 wis to get 150). Now if it were free races you could simply reroll and hope for better luck to get there, sadly they are not and a failed character costs you points. Eitherway, it would be nice to see these penalties reduced to 0.

• Corey Participant
      March 25, 2013 at 1:28 pm #21376

Perhaps it’d be easier to have the showrace stats list things that are affected by Luck with a base of about 12 instead of 15. I tend to roll more under the normal luck than average or above. I hate when I create a character and expect based on the showrace saying it should be Level 4 (130-150) and I’m at about 90. However, if I was expecting 71-129 and got 130+ I’d be excited.

• Kebron Participant
      March 25, 2013 at 5:05 pm #21377

Theres a very simple sollution to that dilema though Idk if it would be appreciated.

Make it where you can suicide before leaving the newbie academy or a ‘reroll race’ command to allow you to do-over without losing the points but before you pass level 30 or leave the newbie academy.

That way if you make a corellian you can level it to 3, see if you got 150 smuggling and if you didn’t you don’t lose all the points you just spent on it. Not sure if this could be problematic in people rerolling for force on points characters but I’d think it would be easy enough to spot people doing that if you suddenly had an influx of abyssin sith everywhere.

• Oteri Participant
      March 25, 2013 at 6:27 pm #21380

If we’re going to go to those lengths, Kebron, why not just make it so we’ll know closer to the exact level? Why waste the time getting to level 3 at all?

*Edit* Also, you can’t be sensed for force until you hit lvl 100…so…force rolling would be pretty tough for people to do with a similar system.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.