This topic has 59 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 12 years, 12 months ago by Altrez.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
    • Inactive
      November 8, 2010 at 5:38 pm #7928

"Do nothing at all and get everything."

This is true. I absolutely loath levelling. I hate sitting in one place for a week, picking up packages or diamonds or whatever else is laying around and have no ability to leave my keyboard and do something enjoyable. I hate researching for six hours to get skills. (Put practice back!) I hate tediously levelling piloting by flying around from planet to planet to planet.

As a result, every time I make a new character, fully over half of my levels remain un-worked on because I would rather jump into the roleplay aspect of the character, the reason I am here.

Solution?

– Return datachips for the ‘tedious grinding’ things like engineering and science, but DON’T for classes that actually should require some effort to learn, and be fun while doing it!
      In that:
      – Put in SHIP SIMULATORS, so I can go pirate hunting and fight my friends with any class of ship I like and actually get experience (both exp and the real kind) doing it without a risk to my life
      – Improve combat training centers. I don’t want to stand in one place for an hour and shoot droids, I want to have some kind of mission to accomplish, fight my way through a zombie hoard and liberate the crown jewel of Coruscant from the evil, holographic boss droid ten rooms away, then fight my way back with increasing difficulty in both directions and put it in a receptacle to get more experience (along with the zombie hoard I just killed)
      – Make blades, axes, knives, swords, whatever – worth something in combat to the average joe, please.
      – More heart-pounding "they almost got me!" smuggling quests would be great.. ones that actually posed real danger instead of buying 50 blasters and standing in the spaceport twiddling your thumbs for ten minutes while the exp sink goes to work.

• rakun Participant
      November 8, 2010 at 6:32 pm #15995

I agree with Skiia. Although questing isn’t all that hard, I can level most of the classes in a day or so, except for diplomacy.

Datachips would bring you… to the land of RP! Now, most of people are too afraid to go out and do something.

Quests could either bring more experience, or bring back datachips.

• Anna Member
      November 10, 2010 at 2:01 pm #16030

Thanks for your feedback on this topic. We’ll post the plan when the staff has reached a consensus.

• Anna Member
      November 18, 2010 at 4:40 am #16151

[u:1z03nqs6][b:1z03nqs6]Datachips:[/b:1z03nqs6][/u:1z03nqs6] The questing system needs to be expanded, and this is being addressed, but the expanded quests won’t come until the new timeline. More quests need to be added, and quests need to be written to use skills. Datachips will be added, however, to supplement the questing system.

Datachips that are class specific and not skill specific will be implemented that give between 1,000 and 2,500K experience per successful hit.

Datachips will not raise any skill at all.

Datachips will deteriorate with use, and need to be replaced.

• Kirash Participant
      November 18, 2010 at 5:10 am #16152
      "Anna":1ppae14y wrote:
      [u:1ppae14y][b:1ppae14y]Datachips:[/b:1ppae14y][/u:1ppae14y] The questing system needs to be expanded, and this is being addressed, but the expanded quests won’t come until the new timeline. More quests need to be added, and quests need to be written to use skills. Datachips will be added, however, to supplement the questing system.

Datachips that are class specific and not skill specific will be implemented that give between 1,000 and 2,500K experience per successful hit.

Datachips will not raise any skill at all.

Datachips will deteriorate with use, and need to be replaced.[/quote:1ppae14y]

/thumbs up

• Anna Member
      April 21, 2011 at 3:35 pm #17095

I understand that datachips are back in already. I’m not sure if they’ve been coded according to our agreement, but it is still my intention to bring this plan to fruition. The datachips in game will remain as they are until the new plan is finished, if it’s not coded already.

Also, the quest system has been expanded, and is still being expanded. The experience payout has increased significantly, as well.

• Blue Member
      April 25, 2011 at 7:26 am #17151

I agree with Anna. Additionally, I don’t think datachips should be brought back to the game. Leveling skills is easy enough as it is, being able to bot all your skills in such a simplified way devalue the gameplay of the mud in a number of ways.

• Fishy Participant
      April 25, 2011 at 7:59 am #17152

I could explain in breadth and depth the reasons why you are wrong and dumb, but it would only serve to waste time and frustrate me, and it would teach you nothing.

• Blue Member
      April 26, 2011 at 2:54 am #17161

Sorry to bust your bubble Fishy, but you are already frusterated. I read through the posts here, and don’t really understand the argument that datachips bring you to the land of RP. LOTJ as much as we’d like to say its an RP mud, is also very much an action mud. The action side of the mud should be respected just as much as the RP side. Grinding and leveling is a part of the game, and this is something that every action game has. Someone who doesn’t mind spending the time to grind out levels, grind credits, find the max stats, max eq, should be rewarded.

Part of being in an action game is taking part in the quests, exploring the planets and leveling/statting out your character and perhaps even engaging in PK. :O

You want to RP? Go ahead and do it..don’t want to level? then don’t..

I look at datachips like the bumper lanes in the bowling alley. A pro bowler shouldn’t be in the same game as someone who is getting a handicap. I understand why fishy would think otherwise..

• Fishy Participant
      April 26, 2011 at 4:49 am #17162
      "Blue":1l19y51r wrote:
      Sorry to bust your bubble Fishy, but you are already frusterated. I read through the posts here, and don’t really understand the argument that datachips bring you to the land of RP. LOTJ as much as we’d like to say its an RP mud, is also very much an action mud. The action side of the mud should be respected just as much as the RP side. Grinding and leveling is a part of the game, and this is something that every action game has. Someone who doesn’t mind spending the time to grind out levels, grind credits, find the max stats, max eq, should be rewarded.

Part of being in an action game is taking part in the quests, exploring the planets and leveling/statting out your character and perhaps even engaging in PK. :O

You want to RP? Go ahead and do it..don’t want to level? then don’t..

I look at datachips like the bumper lanes in the bowling alley. A pro bowler shouldn’t be in the same game as someone who is getting a handicap. I understand why fishy would think otherwise..[/quote:1l19y51r]

It’s also an "action mud", yes, but stupid grinding of package quests is hardly action. And grinding is definitely not a necessary part of ‘action’ games, unless you think WoW and shitty Korean MMOs are somehow the paragon of "action games". Similarly, picking up objects and dropping them off somewhere else should not be respected as part of the "action side", in fact, it is a direct HINDRANCE to the action side. I understand you have no life and that your primitive brain can hardly handle much more than package quests, but just because it’s perfect for a re.. a limited-ability player such as yourself doesn’t mean it is the best way or even a good way, much less that it should be the only way.

I’m not saying "Get rid of all quests", I’m saying "quit forcing people to do stupid things for hours on end before they can do anything". You say ‘if you want to RP, go RP, if you don’t want to train, then don’t’, but there’s a limit to how much you can Just Go RP with no training, and why should training be so ridiculously odious? The only point, really, in training as it is right now (I.E. a big gay package orgy), is to waste people’s goddamn time before they can actually go do fun and useful things. So if this is the case, why not simply accept that ‘wasting time’ is the goal and just let people bot datachips and get it fucking over with".

Skill-use based RP is a good thing and should continue to exist (and in many cases be buffed), but the reliance on nothing but package quests for leveling is ridiculous. Package quests DON’T make people "go out and RP", they don’t "encourage player interaction". Or rather, they encourage "RP" and "player interaction" the way the old sims did (for those who remember them), by being a massive clusterfuck of stupidity and a chokepoint for player advancement.

If the goal is to suck all fun out of LotJ, then by all means continue to replace everything that moves with horrible, shitty, time consuming, soul devouring, buttan-pushing package quests. If you actually want the game to be fun, provide a way for people to fucking level and be done with it.

Edit: Also, Blue, we might take your piteous whining more seriously if you didn’t type like a 4 year old. Please, go expand your learning horizons.

• Locksharp Participant
      April 26, 2011 at 6:46 am #17164

I’d quote Fishy’s argument, but that’d be a bit redundant.

Datachips as they are now seem fine, and it seems like one of the better ways to get things done seeing as there’s been a lot of setbacks for people. Both in lost items and time what with the crashes and lag, and plenty of lost time due to traveling now that things are farther apart and ships are slow right now.

My concern with the new 1000-2500 exp per ‘hit’ thing with datachips is how often is that going to happen? =/ If it only happens about as often as you get a science percentage when you’re after 90%, then there’s no point at all. imo, datachips help people who don’t have hours and hours and hours and hours to spend leveling, much less be on the mud period, still be an active and able part of the environment.

Aside from that, there’s not much way I can keep repeating I think datachips are fine as they are right now. If there’s suddenly twenty million of them on every subject being passed around like candy, then that’s one thing, but there’s not. And right now if you -want- to take the shortcut and level up with a datachip, you still have to put that bit of effort forward generating funds to buy the datachip to begin with. And as far as I’ve seen, they’re all being sold for quite a pretty penny.

• Blue Member
      April 26, 2011 at 8:01 am #17166
      "Fishy":12y43rzs wrote:
      It’s also an "action mud", yes, but stupid grinding of package quests is hardly action. And grinding is definitely not a necessary part of ‘action’ games, unless you think WoW and shitty Korean MMOs are somehow the paragon of "action games". Similarly, picking up objects and dropping them off somewhere else should not be respected as part of the "action side", in fact, it is a direct HINDRANCE to the action side. I understand you have no life and that your primitive brain can hardly handle much more than package quests, but just because it’s perfect for a re.. a limited-ability player such as yourself doesn’t mean it is the best way or even a good way, much less that it should be the only way.

I’m not saying "Get rid of all quests", I’m saying "quit forcing people to do stupid things for hours on end before they can do anything". You say ‘if you want to RP, go RP, if you don’t want to train, then don’t’, but there’s a limit to how much you can Just Go RP with no training, and why should training be so ridiculously odious? The only point, really, in training as it is right now (I.E. a big gay package orgy), is to waste people’s goddamn time before they can actually go do fun and useful things. So if this is the case, why not simply accept that ‘wasting time’ is the goal and just let people bot datachips and get it fucking over with".

Skill-use based RP is a good thing and should continue to exist (and in many cases be buffed), but the reliance on nothing but package quests for leveling is ridiculous. Package quests DON’T make people "go out and RP", they don’t "encourage player interaction". Or rather, they encourage "RP" and "player interaction" the way the old sims did (for those who remember them), by being a massive clusterfuck of stupidity and a chokepoint for player advancement.

If the goal is to suck all fun out of LotJ, then by all means continue to replace everything that moves with horrible, shitty, time consuming, soul devouring, buttan-pushing package quests. If you actually want the game to be fun, provide a way for people to fucking level and be done with it.

Edit: Also, Blue, we might take your piteous whining more seriously if you didn’t type like a 4 year old. Please, go expand your learning horizons.
      [/quote:12y43rzs]

Please elaborate on this massive "big gay package orgy" you are talking about. The following classes require no real time-consuming package collecting: Combat/Bounty Hunting/Engineering/Smuggling/leadership/slicer/piloting/science/medical/force. I’ve somehow managed to find my way into an opportunity for RP while training most of these classes. I can’t tell you how many times one of my characters has been struck up in a conversation while researching at a library, or studying a toolkit at the coruscant plaza.

The only classes that seems to require you to do time-consuming package collecting is: Espionage and Diplomacy. Espionage should NOT be easy to max out. It is a highly valuable class with very powerful skills. There isn’t a whole lot of diversity when it comes to questing for this class. Sometimes due to the scarcity of the packages for this class, you find yourself competing against others.

All datachips do in my opinion is allow you to hide in your home and avoid training up the classes that ultimately require you to be out and about. These classes include diplomacy/leadership/combat/bounty hunting/engineering/piloting. Datachips do not offer any sort of RP bonus to the game.

Next thing they are going to want is to take away research and have all your skills automatically be 100% with 0 time involved.

• Fishy Participant
      April 26, 2011 at 9:57 am #17167

Researching in a library and studying in the plaza ARE NOT PACKAGE QUESTS. Standing around studying an object in the plaza and RPing is something you do with DATACHIPS.

The huge gay package orgy is waiting around for some fucking object to spawn so you can pick it up and spend 20 minutes flying to cash it in for XP. Medical has nothing but packages up until diagnose. Smug is primarily packages or the stupid annoying Nal Hutta quests that need high combat and gear to do.

Espionage is fucking worthless except for like.. 3 skills (and that’s being generous). So there goes that (terrible) argument.

Nobody’s saying take away research, nobody’s said ANYTHING ABOUT research except you because you somehow think "research" = "doing package quests". All I’m saying is "there should be other feasible ways to level besides package quests because package quests are terrible, and datachips are a reasonable thing that should continue to exist". More bad quests is not the solution, and never will be. Hell, more good quests isn’t the solution either. If I want to play fucking World of Warcraft, I will.

• Blue Member
      April 26, 2011 at 2:49 pm #17168
      "Fishy":3qvw54kt wrote:
      Medical has nothing but packages up until diagnose.[/quote:3qvw54kt]

OH NO! – Fishy you have to pick up packages until level.. 10! Cry a fucking river! How long does this take, 10..20 minutes?

"Fishy":3qvw54kt wrote:
      Espionage is fucking worthless except for like.. 3 skills (and that’s being generous).[/quote:3qvw54kt]
      Here’s a few that I find useful:

swipe
      tail
      conceal
      sabotage
      makecamera
      install_camera
      doorcut
      sharp eye
      monitor_camera
      camera_sweep
      blackjack
      makecutter

I might add that the Smuggling quest on Nal Hutta, is probably something you avoided doing last tl because you didn’t want to get caught by the empire killing gamorrean guards. As an Imp, it was pretty fun throwing the lot of you people in jail.

Please point out where this massive gay package orgy is to justify the whole datachips thing so I can agree with you. So far your arguments fail.

• Avanga Member
      April 26, 2011 at 3:30 pm #17169

"package" classes: slicer ( new schools might alleviate this), espionage (IDs are still packages), science (ugh…), smuggling (diamonds and, again, rifles are still packages). Packages are a real headache this early in the TL when everyone is scrambling to level up. It’s a problem if i’m seriously considering incapping people for getting to packages before me.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.