This topic has 59 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 12 years, 12 months ago by Altrez.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)
    • Corey Participant
      October 31, 2010 at 8:02 pm #15673

Yeah the clan eq thing is always iffy….in the past on clan EQ, when viewing the gear that your opponent had, the IMMs should be getting the brunt of the complaints. They’re the one’s who approved it and they’re the one’s who set that gear so twinky in the first place. I’m completely fine with there never being another set of clan eq again since it always seemed to be a battle between one IMM and another, as to who was going to give their side a slightly better edge, without it being enough to set off red flags. It’ll be good to see this go forever, so that there are less temptations to help your side out….and less things for people to complain about when getting stomped by the other side.

And yes, Mando’s did get clan gear: Armor, repeaters, medpacs, bracers…and…I feel there is something else I’m forgetting. The bracers were the only piece non-Mando’s could use and are still on a few characters, I know I have one or two in a locker somewhere.

• Slyth Member
      October 31, 2010 at 8:10 pm #15674
      "Anna":3byfq6k5 wrote:
      Older players used datachips on their ships while they’re running cargo. Botting while cargo running is illegal, but they do it anyway. And it’s hard to get upset with them because there was no other way to earn credits at the time. So they’d take a datachip and study it while running their cargo scripts… and they’re leveling like crazy while not actually doing anything at all. [/quote:3byfq6k5]

I actually remember several people having these scripts, and I agree with anna, it is kinda bs. people complain cause they quest this tl and make credits… I prefer to quest personally, which i stated in earlier posts, I think right now we just need more quests so people are not getting bored or the quests as fact.

• Drel Member
      October 31, 2010 at 8:19 pm #15676
      "Garand":298a1pkk wrote:
      Personally I never had a problem with simulators other that stupid bastards arguing over who got to use em first. They let clans pop out soldiers awful quick so it wasnt ever much of a problem to get people to go out and fight. Another thing was their was clan eq. You could get trained up and semi decently equipped in a matter of hours and be out into the fight. These days you gotta either wait for someone to make you some armor or go make 150 – 250k to buy some from an engineer. That takes time and effort and player investment that aint going to have most people out wanting to go try and fight. Now I dont think clan eq should be better than player made by any means but just something half decent to give to noobs that’ll hold em over. I’m not asking for sims to be put back in but you should be able to level every class by yourself just like they recently fixed slicer up to do. Thankfuly I never make a pilot but I would royally hate having to fly back and forth between two planets for two days and be utterly bored just to level.[/quote:298a1pkk]
      I don’t agree with everything, but I would wholeheartedly say that the Khaeros/Bhuvan TL, where simulators were rampant, had the most "epic" feeling to it. When there are dozens of players all fighting balls-to-the-wall–and not caring, because they can roll another character and have it leveled and geared to fight (if not much else) in a day or two… it really inspired the massive, thousands fighting thousands feeling that Star Wars should have. An entire GALAXY was at war–not a half dozen people, one of whom is the forcer nobody can stand against. The biggest differences between then and now–for better or for worse; I really can’t prove that they’re what MADE it more epic/fun back then–are that, now, forcers are way more common and involved and the "average" characters are too few and too gun shy… if someone’s going to spend all their time leveling and gearing up, they’re almost certainly not going to be happy with being an "average" grunt, destined to death or dismemberment in his first encounter. They’re going to hide, or roll in gank squads, or do all of the other things that have changed combat over the years.

For the record, I don’t think all of the changes to combat are bad. I love that 90% of fighters aren’t BH mains rolling with blades these days, like they were in the Khaeros/Bhuvan TL. I love the majority of changes to space combat (scramble > squadrons, but that’s just me). But I’d be for limited simulators and equal-across-the-board clan equipment. Maybe just make warriors way more common, and take away the whole "expect a slay if you live through it" thing?

"Anna":298a1pkk wrote:
      Older players used datachips on their ships while they’re running cargo. Botting while cargo running is illegal, but they do it anyway. And it’s hard to get upset with them because there was no other way to earn credits at the time. So they’d take a datachip and study it while running their cargo scripts… and they’re leveling like crazy while not actually doing anything at all.
      .[/quote:298a1pkk]
      The only difference between quests and datachips is that the scripts are harder to write. There’s nothing magical about quests that says you can’t "bot" them–you just can’t do it legally. And that’s exactly how datachips originally were. You can write the script, and sit back and do nothing–but you better be passively monitoring it, or BOHICA. The datachip scripts just let you be a bit safer about it, because you could choose where you’d be semi-defenseless. Solution? Bring back datachips, and put them in public libraries. If this got combined with my suggestion to bring back limited simulators, they could be the public alternative.
    • Anastasius Member
      October 31, 2010 at 8:36 pm #15679
      "Anna":2jd2oxuo wrote:
      "Garand":2jd2oxuo wrote:
      You can solve the eq bitching problem by making them both have the same gear just named different and making it not be clan only so whoever ends up with it down the road can use it. Also after saying no clan eq was gonna be given out the mandos were given mando only clan eq.[/quote:2jd2oxuo]

Giving the Mandos clan EQ, if that happened, would have been wrong. I wasn’t aware of that.[/quote:2jd2oxuo]
      I will be blunt on this Anna. Your imms took help handout as a joke. Last time I asked about it I was told to shut up. By an imm. Mandos got some twink ass gear this tl. I can also point out to event stuff like the sith crystals and the blaster crystals that were limited and handed out.

• Ralen Keymaster
      October 31, 2010 at 9:26 pm #15684

I’ve said before that at the time, I really didn’t support the removal of datachips. I worried that any sort of quest based levelling system might end up being boring, and prolong levelling unnecessarily.

My MAJOR issue was also one gained in hindsight, and a completely different one to any that people have yet to mention here – from the standpoint of someone logging in, they are far more likely to stick around when the mud says ’30 players connected’ than they are if it says ‘8 players connected’, even if 22 of those 30 are botting. Call it weird, but I want those morning botters, because they push our numbers up.

Having SEEN the quest system Anna’s poured a lot of work into, I like. A lot of previously empty and otherwise empty worlds are given purpose by having these npcs, and it gives said newbies a great chance to explore when they stick around. As such, nerfed datachips are not a bad idea. I don’t necessarily think they should reward less xp than the skills give (with the exception of engineering, some class skills still give -minimal- xp. who’s ever levelled mid-level piloting by spamming radar, slicing by shorting a door, or combat by spamming gouge to level 100?) but having them set to specific classes rather than skills seems like a good compromise to bring them back in.

• Corey Participant
      October 31, 2010 at 9:39 pm #15689
      "Ralen":1hb8dx5g wrote:
      My MAJOR issue was also one gained in hindsight, and a completely different one to any that people have yet to mention here – from the standpoint of someone logging in, they are far more likely to stick around when the mud says ’30 players connected’ than they are if it says ‘8 players connected’, even if 22 of those 30 are botting. Call it weird, but I want those morning botters, because they push our numbers up.[/quote:1hb8dx5g]

I don’t suppose I understand what you’re saying here. If I’m botting and there are 47 players connected and stop botting, there are still 47 players connected.

• Fishy Participant
      October 31, 2010 at 9:51 pm #15691

His point was that with datachips, people would leave themselves connected and botting all night so that at off-peak times there’d still be the appearance of healthy numbers. Without datachip botting, fewer people in general are botting which means they’re logging off when they’re not actively at the computer which gives the appearance of less healthy numbers at off peak times.

Also, keep in mind with all this datachip bashing, you’d STILL have to get science up to 30 WITHOUT datachips, so it’s not like you just roll out of the academy and overnight you’re 150s across the board. They’re not magic.

Maybe have them be for classes rather than skills, and have different qualities based on the skill % in hypothesize and theorize of the makers, and have the different qualities give different amounts of XP?

• Avanga Member
      October 31, 2010 at 10:00 pm #15694

Alright, since my last post was erased, I’ll be brief:

The problems you claim come up with datachips, happen with quests. Nobody gets practice with their skills with quests the way they are, it’s just a different brand of monotony. Botting? I can almost guarantee that if you go to the Arkanian village, you’ll find someone camping the crystal shards.

Please put datachips back in. If you’re worried about them flooding the MUD, give them a charge like datapads and have them wear out once they run out of charge. There, now people need to buy new ones when they’re burnt out.

• Drel Member
      October 31, 2010 at 10:01 pm #15695
      "Avanga":1k3tfzo3 wrote:
      Alright, since my last post was erased, I’ll be brief:

The problems you claim come up with datachips, happen with quests. Nobody gets practice with their skills with quests the way they are, it’s just a different brand of monotony. Botting? I can almost guarantee that if you go to the Arkanian village, you’ll find someone camping the crystal shards.[/quote:1k3tfzo3]

"Drel":1k3tfzo3 wrote:
      The only difference between quests and datachips is that the scripts are harder to write. There’s nothing magical about quests that says you can’t "bot" them–you just can’t do it legally. And that’s exactly how datachips originally were. You can write the script, and sit back and do nothing–but you better be passively monitoring it, or BOHICA. The datachip scripts just let you be a bit safer about it, because you could choose where you’d be semi-defenseless. Solution? Bring back datachips, and put them in public libraries. If this got combined with my suggestion to bring back limited simulators, they could be the public alternative.[/quote:1k3tfzo3]
      I beat you to it.

Also: another reason for bringing back datachips in some form?

They give science a reason to exist. Without them, science = "eh, shit that doesn’t really do anything on its own and we didn’t want to clutter up slist engineering."

• Ace Participant
      November 3, 2010 at 5:25 am #15844

I’d be happy with class-based datachips instead of skill based. But as for function, I have another idea.

Why can people study a datachip just by itself? Datachips don’t work that way. I say kill two birds with one stone: Make datachips require a datapad to be readable. In addition, makes certain strength of datachips require certain datapad settings. That’ll require more gathering to level on datachips, and it’ll give more meaning to the sub-functions on datapads. As it is right now, nobody would have a real reason to own a datapad that isn’t master set, and it’ll make sense, instead of "What are you doing, reading the tiny print on the datachip over and over?"

Having a quest system to level is well and good, but the problem I see is one that’s been mentioned a lot already; Why so much work on code-enforced character development when the point of the game is really roleplay? Anyone who says LOTJ isn’t for roleplay is off their rocker. It’s definitely not some sort of action shooter. The fact that it’s a text based game precludes that notion.

Also, I don’t see where any of the quests really acclamate players with their class’ skills. By and large, the quests are "Go get this, which only spawns on an ungodly timer, and which will be camped by bigger or multiple players! Then bring it back to me for a couple dirty credit chits and an unsatisfying experience payout."

The quests for leveing should be more dynamic if they’re going to be our only reliable mode for leveling our characters. I know it’s not easy to write a long, involved quest, but that’s what makes it a quest, instead of a grind. Don’t you think there are plenty of players who stand at the spawn point with a timer going to snatch up the delivery items?

The quests need to be doable at any point in time by one character without another character interfering, so far as that interferance is them trying to do the same quest. They need to be replicatable. That issue, the backlog of players scrambling for one item/mob is WAY common in a lot of online games, and for no good reason.

I love the idea of quests. But they need to require some interaction. Smuggling quests should require a player to go around nicking goods (At appropriate levels), or well, smuggling things for clients. Slicer quests should have minigames where you hack computers, or intercept comm transmissions. Some of the classes should STAY with the delivery style turn-ins. For instance, combat, bounty hunting, and piloting. Pilots could haul literal items that are cargo, and maybe the items should even be tied in with their ships in some way, like the cargo running system we have now. They barely need quests anyway, except to circumvent boredom. Hunters and soldiers obviously can just go kill something and bring back the spoils; I see little issue there, although some spawns need to be either faster to meet player numbers, or be triggered so the mob’s always available.

Maybe some science quests could involve solving some math problems. Nothing really complex, but enough to give a sense of accomplishment. Maybe even scale the experience by the difficulty of the math problem, so if you can solve a complex one, you get a bigger reward.

I don’t know how much of this could be managable by the staff, but my point is that quests should be more than simple deliveries and waiting for respawns.

If we can’t get quests like that.. bring back the datachips. More generalized chips sounds great. It never did make sense to master certain skills that way.

As a side note: While it’s cool that you can _theoretically_ level slicing using only it’s skills, it’s still a long, tedious process. I think that the speed at which a player levels should only be restricted by how much effort they’re willing to put in.

Final note: If you made it through my whole post, you deserve a cookie. I know I’m long-winded.

• Kora Participant
      November 4, 2010 at 12:16 am #15865
      "Ace":fef91pcg wrote:
      Maybe some science quests could involve solving some math problems. Nothing really complex, but enough to give a sense of accomplishment. Maybe even scale the experience by the difficulty of the math problem, so if you can solve a complex one, you get a bigger reward.[/quote:fef91pcg]
      As math-brained as I am, I don’t think straight math is a good idea. Logic puzzles, however, might be more reasonable. They use them in other games… like in KotOR when you have to deal with those terminals in the Sith place on Dxun or the terminals inside the palace on Onderon. I always enjoy them way more than the grind. I dunno, though… I’d rather be forced to use my brain to accomplish something difficult than not have to think at all and do something mindless, but I think I’m in the minority.

"Ace":fef91pcg wrote:
      Final note: If you made it through my whole post, you deserve a cookie. I know I’m long-winded.[/quote:fef91pcg]
      Cookie please!
    • Anna Member
      November 4, 2010 at 12:38 pm #15887
      "Kora":2fsl9knd wrote:
      "Ace":2fsl9knd wrote:
      Maybe some science quests could involve solving some math problems. Nothing really complex, but enough to give a sense of accomplishment. Maybe even scale the experience by the difficulty of the math problem, so if you can solve a complex one, you get a bigger reward.[/quote:2fsl9knd]
      As math-brained as I am, I don’t think straight math is a good idea. Logic puzzles, however, might be more reasonable. They use them in other games… like in KotOR when you have to deal with those terminals in the Sith place on Dxun or the terminals inside the palace on Onderon. I always enjoy them way more than the grind. I dunno, though… I’d rather be forced to use my brain to accomplish something difficult than not have to think at all and do something mindless, but I think I’m in the minority.
      [/quote:2fsl9knd]

Send me an aim when you can (codenamebananna). I’d be interested in hearing how we can do something like this on LotJ.

• Rojan QDel Member
      November 4, 2010 at 6:21 pm #15899

Cool idea, though some may be difficult to represent via text. Tower of Hanoi, anyone?
      | |
      | |
      – |
      – –
      – –

or something

• Locksharp Participant
      November 4, 2010 at 7:16 pm #15901

Tower of… what?

As for the point of the actual thread, I think that datachips should be allowed back in with a ‘timer’ on them that was suggested by… someone back on the first page. You could use a master-crafted datachip a hundred times or so before it loses its effect due to wear and tear ( And I know even then that’s not enough to master a subject, ) so that’s… reasonable. You need credits to be able to get your fast-way-out. So that means even if you want to bypass questing, you still have to credit-raise to get to be able to do so.

• Inactive
      November 8, 2010 at 5:38 pm #7927

"Do nothing at all and get everything."

This is true. I absolutely loath levelling. I hate sitting in one place for a week, picking up packages or diamonds or whatever else is laying around and have no ability to leave my keyboard and do something enjoyable. I hate researching for six hours to get skills. (Put practice back!) I hate tediously levelling piloting by flying around from planet to planet to planet.

As a result, every time I make a new character, fully over half of my levels remain un-worked on because I would rather jump into the roleplay aspect of the character, the reason I am here.

Solution?

– Return datachips for the ‘tedious grinding’ things like engineering and science, but DON’T for classes that actually should require some effort to learn, and be fun while doing it!
      In that:
      – Put in SHIP SIMULATORS, so I can go pirate hunting and fight my friends with any class of ship I like and actually get experience (both exp and the real kind) doing it without a risk to my life
      – Improve combat training centers. I don’t want to stand in one place for an hour and shoot droids, I want to have some kind of mission to accomplish, fight my way through a zombie hoard and liberate the crown jewel of Coruscant from the evil, holographic boss droid ten rooms away, then fight my way back with increasing difficulty in both directions and put it in a receptacle to get more experience (along with the zombie hoard I just killed)
      – Make blades, axes, knives, swords, whatever – worth something in combat to the average joe, please.
      – More heart-pounding "they almost got me!" smuggling quests would be great.. ones that actually posed real danger instead of buying 50 blasters and standing in the spaceport twiddling your thumbs for ten minutes while the exp sink goes to work.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.