This topic has 23 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years, 8 months ago by Goner.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
    • RebornSinner Member
      August 8, 2009 at 6:33 am #1154

Pretty simple concept.. keep an IC log of who used the warrant command and when. warrantlog empowerment would let people pull that up. Would help prevent abuse, theft, et cetera.

• Ilyena Participant
      August 8, 2009 at 11:05 am #10761

I think it’s actually the ‘force’ command, but that’s being nitpicky.

• Aleksei Participant
      August 8, 2009 at 5:49 pm #10765
      "borusdewalrus":3a9202fk wrote:
      "Ilyena":3a9202fk wrote:
      I think it’s actually the ‘force’ command, but that’s being nitpicky.[/quote:3a9202fk]

What?[/quote:3a9202fk]

Force_entry

• RebornSinner Member
      August 8, 2009 at 7:25 pm #10767

That’s beside the point. The theory here is that there should be a log of it, not to argue over what it’s called.

• Aleksei Participant
      August 8, 2009 at 7:40 pm #10768
      "RebornSinner":276v2rtq wrote:
      That’s beside the point. The theory here is that there should be a log of it, not to argue over what it’s called.[/quote:276v2rtq]

I would agree, but to a point. Personally I have seen the warrant empowerment used precisely for the means of breaking into other clan members homes and taking clan equipment from their lockers. This is of course, with express permission from the home owner themselves, and at other points without. I don’t know if a warrantlog would help in preventing theft or abuse, unless the immortals themselves used the command to double check who is/what is going in and out of other players homes.

• Ilyena Participant
      August 8, 2009 at 7:48 pm #10769

Hence why it’s me being nitpicky. Sheesh.

• RebornSinner Member
      August 8, 2009 at 7:51 pm #10770

Well it’s not to stop it from being used, it’s just so that it can be monitored in an IC fashion. So if someone complains to, for example, the Republic that some things are missing from their locker that were there yesterday, someone in the Republic can check and see if anybody used a warrant (or whatever it’s called, I don’t need to be corrected) in the last 12 hours or whatever. That’s just one example. Or they can check it and see that ‘Bob’ has used it 42 times in one day and ask Bob what he’s doing it for. Just stuff like that. I understand that it’s used for checking on enemies et cetera, but if a person knows in their subconscious that someone is going to be checking up on them, they will probably think twice before busting in and going through people’s lockers, et cetera.

• Aleksei Participant
      August 8, 2009 at 8:14 pm #10771

Ultimately if someone is abusing the warrant command to steal from other players lockers, I believe that should be handled by the immortals, because a player can only punish another player so much for being a naughty boy/girl. But for IC purposes, I can see warrantlog having its usefulness now. It would/could be used by Generals or high command officials to verify their troops are not being dingbats with the command.

• RebornSinner Member
      August 8, 2009 at 9:26 pm #10772

Yeah, basically. A lot of it is just a preventive measure, but IC situations do arise sometimes (and not always in the event of mystery thefts) in which it would help to know who’s been going in to houses.

• Bai Member
      August 8, 2009 at 9:41 pm #10773

Personally I think that warrant should be revamped. I think that high-ranking officials, or someone with the ‘warrant’ command, should be able to GIVE A WARRANT that is like, a cookie for a one-time use. People with the warrant command could of course use it whenever they want, like they can now, but it creates a better RP/IC environment when only people who are GIVEN permission are able to go into houses. Idealy, they’d have to come up with a case, propose it, and then be granted the warrant or not. In which case, after it is used, it goes away until the next one is given.

Also, somethign to mention: force_entry is a logged command, so if there’s ever a situation, you can ask the imms about it and they /can/ help you see what’s up. Also, stealing from house lockers in a clan building, or are owned by a clan-mate (if you are in the clan) IS illegal (SPYAPP),s o the imms need to get involved AS SOON AS POSSIBLE in order to deal with it. Logs only go so far back. I’ve learned this the hard way. So I mean, technically I agree that there is no need for a ‘warrantlog’, but at the same time, the imms tend to say ‘figure it out IC’, so it would help get a case prepared for the imms to look into it to help you. However, warrantlog would only be useful if the above scenario I stated at first was what was going on. Some people use warrantlog to get into their IC spouse’s house if they are in the same government, etc. That’d just create omega spam that is unecessary, if we were to have a ‘warrantlog’. I think it is fine how it is. It is just the fact of acting on it and asking the imms AS SOON AS YOU KNOW it happened, or as soon as it happened.

• RebornSinner Member
      August 8, 2009 at 10:02 pm #10774

From what I’ve seen on OOC, though, bases next tl won’t have houses anyway.. or am I incorrect?

• Walldo Keymaster
      August 8, 2009 at 11:36 pm #10775

You are correct but that really has little bearing on this conversation

• Ilyena Participant
      August 9, 2009 at 11:41 am #10779

I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned, but perhaps a clan-wide announcement when someone uses force_entry? Just like when ships are being stolen from a planet.

• Locksharp Participant
      August 9, 2009 at 2:28 pm #10780

The clan-wide announcement thing would be awesome, in my opinion. "Tom used a warrant on Jill’s House on Tatooine" kinda thing. >_>

It would make people loads more conscious about it, and less likely to screw around with it because clan members would go, "Oi, what’d you do that for?" if they didn’t already know. Would cut down on abuse alot I think.

• Gathorn Participant
      August 9, 2009 at 3:24 pm #10781

I’m actually somewhat liking that idea. It allows for -some- self policing ICly regarding warrant.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.