Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Taxi's, Locateship, and Security.
This topic has 21 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years, 8 months ago by Baxtalo.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
    • Flek Participant
      July 6, 2012 at 10:51 pm #19487

Just a few general ideas.

Taxi’s

I was thinking of when you use makepublic command a ship’s hyperspeed, fuel, maneuver, and speed are reduced by 25 percent. When the ship is no longer public the stats should be returned.

Newbies can still use Taxi’s and this would give a reason for people to buy their own ship. As it stands now the only benefits for personal ships are rp, mobile home, and cargo.

I mentioned this to Walldo and I was thinking of changing locateship a little bit.

As it stands now the planet and dock portion are not updated until you land the ship again. I was thinking of changing it so they continue to stay un-updated unless the pad you land on has Security. The little used flag that only tells when people are not adept at pirateship. This would allow for smugglers rebels and generally anyone who wants to hide their ship a way to easily do so. Land on an unsecured pad.

PS this would also stop people from learning the name of hidden planets via locate.

• Bai Participant
      July 6, 2012 at 10:59 pm #19489

i do not think that taxi stats should be reduced. People have to pay for taxis, people have to pay to put them up AS taxis, people have t omake them. The ONLY reason someone would ask to have this reduced as ‘incentive to buy ships’ is if they are doing checks and want to ensure everyone owns a ship and it has their name on it.

• Flek Participant
      July 6, 2012 at 11:02 pm #19490

That is not the intent at all. I am trying to bring back the older system from the crappy taxi’s and it was a mile stone for your character to upgrade and buy a ship.

Why have the personally owned ships at all if taxi’s are cheaper and just as good.

If you had read the second half of my post you would see I am actually trying to add more restrictions to locateship.

• Bai Participant
      July 6, 2012 at 11:07 pm #19491

ah yes let us point out what i do icly. i am not the only one who buys taxis to put into the system.

• Bai Participant
      July 6, 2012 at 11:19 pm #19492

just ignore me. i’m going to stop giving my opinion on anything ever.

• Flek Participant
      July 6, 2012 at 11:23 pm #19493

I’m not ignoring you I hear your opinion and understand it. You do not like the idea because people worked to put in taxi’s and want to keep them profitable. A person owning a fleet of taxi’s at a reasonable price took a lot of time to put them in.

I am just of the opinion that they would still be profitable but as a player progresses they should buy their own ship. If they wish to keep their identity secret a 25% hit is not large enough to keep them from using taxi’s.

• Bai Participant
      July 7, 2012 at 1:00 am #19496

they already buy ships if they want them

• Flek Participant
      July 7, 2012 at 1:44 am #19497

There is no benefit to right now to owning your own ship.

• Walldo Keymaster
      July 7, 2012 at 1:48 am #19498

Well I think the whole idea is to give an incentive or reason to want to own a ship. For a while I thought boosting the cost of using a taxi was the way to go, but I definitely think making personally owned ships better is a stronger option.

• Ocerion Participant
      July 7, 2012 at 2:28 am #19499

I am actually a massive hater of all things locateship and ping, I vote yes on anything that in any way nerfs either.

Also the Taxi thing seems like a brilliant idea.

• Johnson Participant
      July 7, 2012 at 3:43 am #19500

I do remember at one point the taxis in this game were quite a bit slower than the personal ships, and I’m not sure exactly why they were changed to be the same as all the other ships but I am in favor of them being crappy again. Flek is right, there is not really much incentive to owning your own ship and that is a milestone that used to mean something. Now you spend 500 credits and you can fly the fastest ship in the galaxy…

• Altrez Participant
      July 7, 2012 at 7:15 am #19501

Iiii sort of agree with this. It could even be set so that public ships are all in the shipyard records and thus easy to locate, whereas private ships may not have a file at all. I like the idea of security on pads (or some sort of docking officials) noting ships that land. People would need to hire slicers more to do routine pad checks. Or to sabotage a pad before a raid.

A lot of this could probably be achieved without halving taxi stats.

• Avanga Member
      July 7, 2012 at 11:44 am #19502

The reason people don’t use their own ships isn’t because public shuttles can go places as fast and as far as any owned ship, it’s because you’re vulnerable in your own ship. All a pilot has to do is locateship you, and if they have a problem with the name of the owner, they’ll shoot it down. They can’t really do that with a public shuttle, ’cause the pilot can disguise and lie, and there’s always the threat of “if you aren’t 100% certain this is who you want it to be and you shoot them down, you’ll be punished”.

I’m just saying. They can be as slow as you want them to be, people are still going to use them for the sake of the anonymity.

• Ralen Keymaster
      July 7, 2012 at 1:41 pm #19503

I am absolutely in favour of this. OP hits the nail on the head in that there is absolutely no reason right now to purchase your own starfighter, something that used to be a noteable stepping stone for a character.

• rakun Participant
      July 7, 2012 at 2:37 pm #19504

I agree with Ralen and Avanga.

When I was a newbie on LotJ and I got my first ship, I was like ‘I’m a boss!’, even if it was just a Y-wing. But at the same time, yeah, people use them for anonimity. If we had more players, we could easily use player taxi pilots, but we don’t. 😛

So, yup, I’m in favor of this idea. At least, partially. I sometimes like being able to jump long ways with pubbies. Helps avoid unwanted attention, too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.