This topic has 22 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 15 years, 6 months ago by CruelAngel.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
    • Avanga Member
      October 20, 2008 at 4:15 am #7980

It’s a /level 5 skill/.

It’s one thing to ask for a nerf on any potentially imbalancing skills, but this is something that /everyone/ can get.

• Walldo Keymaster
      October 20, 2008 at 4:55 am #7982
      "Avanga":165h01s5 wrote:
      It’s a /level 5 skill/.

It’s one thing to ask for a nerf on any potentially imbalancing skills, but this is something that /everyone/ can get.[/quote:165h01s5]

Yeah you’re right, it should be a higher level.

• Avanga Member
      October 20, 2008 at 5:27 am #7983

Uh-huh. *rolls eyes*

I don’t see the problem with it. Some chars are sneakers, some aren’t. Leave it to the player to decide whether to utilize it or not.

I’m going to bring in some wisdom from previous experiences on a place similar to this, where for years they introduced tons of awesome new ideas that improved the gameplay and served to make all the classes fun and unique, until a new head coder came along. This new head coder decided to try and make things a little more realistic, and to nitpick small things that really, really shouldn’t have been touched. It began with a small nerf, which unbalanced aspects of one class… then other nerfs had to be introduced to strike some semblance of balance, but they never found that balance. In the end, the nerfs piled up and players left, and the server never recovered from it.

Anyways, lesson for the day: It isn’t broke, don’t try to fix it. You can do so much more for the MUD by coming up with creative /additions/ for the place. /Subtractions/, though they might help /your/ char at the time, don’t help anyone in the long run.

• Oteri Participant
      October 22, 2008 at 5:10 pm #7993
      "Avanga":3uivq6jw wrote:
      Anyways, lesson for the day: It isn’t broke, don’t try to fix it. You can do so much more for the MUD by coming up with creative /additions/ for the place. /Subtractions/, though they might help /your/ char at the time, don’t help anyone in the long run.[/quote:3uivq6jw]

Unless the thing you are subtracting is crap. Which sneak isn’t.

P.S. Armor, while lighter than "Chain mail/full plate" dnd crap, is still heavy ass armor. It imposes a dexterity penalty to represent this. Class 1 armor is for ninjas, class everything else is for tanks. [sarcasm] Oh shit…is that how we get that word? [/sarcasm]

• Bai Member
      October 22, 2008 at 10:05 pm #8006

I use sneak as a way to walk quietly from room to room. WHICH IS POSSIBLE IRL, BY THE WAY. I think there should be some thing that’ll let you walk quietly, if sneak isn’t it. Either that or remove the stupid action that says "SOMEONE IS SNEAKING HERE" because if someone really is just using it to walk quietly, then they aren’t necessarily CROUCHED AND LOOKING FOR A WAY OUT

• CruelAngel Member
      October 23, 2008 at 2:09 am #8008
      "Oteri":26pn3jjx wrote:
      P.S. Armor, while lighter than "Chain mail/full plate" dnd crap, is still heavy ass armor. It imposes a dexterity penalty to represent this. Class 1 armor is for ninjas, class everything else is for tanks. [sarcasm] Oh shit…is that how we get that word? [/sarcasm][/quote:26pn3jjx]

The whole dexterity penalty thing goes right along with my suggestion of making it [i:26pn3jjx]harder[/i:26pn3jjx] to sneak in heavier armors but not impossible. And the it’s not the [i:26pn3jjx]weight[/i:26pn3jjx] of the armor that determines your ability to move quietly, it’s the materials the armor is made of. Metal banging/scraping against metal = loud. Plastic against plastic = not nearly as loud. Rubber/Cloth against just about anything = almost no noise at all. You can have two sets of armor that weight exactly the same, one a set of metal armor with plates or banded strips and another just lead plates wrapped in rubber or cloth to make up the weight difference. One of them is bound to be way more silent than the other even though the weigh the exact same and hinder the wearer in the exact same way.

• Avanga Member
      October 23, 2008 at 2:46 am #8009

Boba Fett often made use of a sound dampener to sneak around on his jobs.

• CruelAngel Member
      October 23, 2008 at 4:04 pm #8014
      "CruelAngel":3j9q6z5c wrote:
      Also there are ways armor can be sound dampened for sneaking around.[/quote:3j9q6z5c]

Covered.

The Republic Commandos wore Katarn armor, which was heavier than standard Clonetrooper armor. And yet, most of their missions required them to [i:3j9q6z5c]sneak[/i:3j9q6z5c] into places.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.