This topic has 22 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 15 years, 6 months ago by CruelAngel.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
    • Troll Participant
      June 28, 2008 at 1:48 pm #707

Alright, so you’re in a business meeting and people come in late and you don’t notice their arrival because they SNEAK!
      Lame, no? Well, I think it is.

Over 50% of the pbase sneaks in public situations, which really doesn’t make sense. Standing crouched, moving silently etc. is careful job, you simply can’t move like that unless you’re solid snake or jack bauer, which you’re not so shut up. I hereby propose that sneak will be changed so that it will drain movement. This would prevent people from everyone being Aragorns and make the game more balanced.

MAKE SNEAK DRAIN MOV!

• Walldo Keymaster
      June 28, 2008 at 6:38 pm #7318

HELL yes.

Adding ‘$n is sneaking around’ actiontag for the sneak skill was a step in the right direction, and this takes it even further. Absolutely. Yes! Please!

• Drel Member
      June 29, 2008 at 2:37 am #7319
      "Troll":zccxr1o2 wrote:
      Alright, so you’re in a business meeting and people come in late and you don’t notice their arrival because they SNEAK!
      Lame, no? Well, I think it is.

Over 50% of the pbase sneaks in public situations, which really doesn’t make sense. Standing crouched, moving silently etc. is careful job, you simply can’t move like that unless you’re solid snake or jack bauer, which you’re not so shut up. I hereby propose that sneak will be changed so that it will drain movement. This would prevent people from everyone being Aragorns and make the game more balanced.

MAKE SNEAK DRAIN MOV![/quote:zccxr1o2]
      While preventing twinking this does (</Yodaspeek>), it’s not really that… concievable: some people just walk quieter than others. Maybe take a Splinter Cell approach and have it lag them slightly if they don’t have a "sneak run" feat, or something? For that matter, if sneak WAS put in to drain mv, I’d say that a feat should be put in to stop it from draining mv.

• Flek Participant
      June 29, 2008 at 3:33 am #7322

Agreed on moth counts. Make it drain movent change silent sneak to not drain movment. Also add in a lag like the opposit of sprint and then shove in a silent run feat.

• Inactive
      June 29, 2008 at 4:42 am #7325

YES! to the movement point idea and to the ‘Stealth’ feat.

• Drel Member
      June 29, 2008 at 2:00 pm #7326
      "Flek":2guk9g23 wrote:
      Agreed on moth counts. Make it drain movent change silent sneak to not drain movment. Also add in a lag like the opposit of sprint and then shove in a silent run feat.[/quote:2guk9g23]
      Three feats for one skill = dumb idea. Just bump the level and have it take away the actiontag, not drain mv, and not lag you on movement.
    • Bai Member
      July 1, 2008 at 5:23 am #7336

I think this is dumb, then again, I think the fact that it says "So-and-so is sneaking around." People can walk quietly, which doesn’t necessarily mean you are ‘sneaking’.

• Walldo Keymaster
      July 1, 2008 at 5:33 am #7337

No, but people aren’t using the walk_quiet skill, they are using ‘sneak’.

• Avanga Member
      July 1, 2008 at 6:08 am #7339

I’d point out that in most cases, people sneaking around makes a lot of sense. Picture a lot of the Star Wars settings. Most of the places you see are the kinda places you don’t want to be noticed. That being said, not /everyone/ sneaks.

I really don’t see why this needs to be implemented. All it’ll be is a flashlight that drains MV instead of energy. People will be constantly forgetting to turn sneak off. And I still haven’t heard a reasonable suggestion as to why it should do all this to begin with… because people are using it? Oh snap, better get rid of repeaters and public shuttles too. It’s been around for a long time and I don’t much see the reason to change it.

And, for the record, it /really/ isn’t tiring to sneak around iRL. It’s mostly a matter of carefully picking your route and knowing how to step.

• Bai Member
      July 1, 2008 at 9:03 am #7341

Impliment a "walk_quiet" skill then.

• Avanga Member
      July 1, 2008 at 1:51 pm #7342

Alriiiight, lemme break it down.

This ‘fix’ doesn’t really solve anything for anyone. People will continue to sneak when it matters, and if the only part of it that actually bothers you is the ‘is sneaking’ string when it /doesn’t/ matter, you’re easily upset. This hurt smugglers more than anyone else. Other classes have a much better chance of defending themselves without the ability to sneak, but Smugglers depend on their sometimes low combat and lackluster abilities. They’ve been hurting for a while now and they could use some attention, not a diluted skill set (see escape_binding, pirateship, …detrap?, etc.)

If people sneaking around you bothers you, do something about it ICly. You see someone acting like Sam Fisher, you’re going to call them on it. Raise the level requirement on sneak if you like, or make Smuggling skills require a Master too, but don’t slather on something that’s only going to hurt the Smugglers more than anyone else.

• Ocerion Participant
      October 15, 2008 at 7:16 am #7922

Ehh. I disagree with the whole thing. Sorry, when I walk up to people in public places, often they don’t HEAR me coming at all. Which was what sneak is…In fact, I walked up to a friend in Wal-Mart just today, no effort to sneak…scared the piss outta them cuz they had no idea I was there…where’s my tag in real life? Bah. Whiners.

• Oteri Participant
      October 15, 2008 at 9:30 pm #7931
      "Ocerion":iyk5rrgq wrote:
      Ehh. I disagree with the whole thing. Sorry, when I walk up to people in public places, often they don’t HEAR me coming at all. Which was what sneak is…In fact, I walked up to a friend in Wal-Mart just today, no effort to sneak…scared the piss outta them cuz they had no idea I was there…where’s my tag in real life? Bah. Whiners.[/quote:iyk5rrgq]

Erm…well…They didn’t exactly ‘look’ for you, either. If they did, they totally would have saw your tag.

I don’t agree with the mv drain, but I can’t see the slowed movement lag as a bad idea. Not a LOT of lag, mind you, just a tiny bit more than we have on normal movement if we can. You simply can’t sneak faster than someone at a normal walking speed unless you are a ninja. In which, we’d have to add a ninja class with ninja feats and ninja weapons. Then we’d have to add shadows for ninjas to gain invisibility. And next thing you know, we’re adding rediculous amounts of special effects and explaining the force by way of bio science, draining an entire culture of respect for an alien species by it’s one member with downs, and turning astromech droids into super-super battle droids for "comedic relief."

• Merrycheeza Participant
      October 19, 2008 at 3:58 pm #7972

Just make it impossible to sneak in any armor past class 1 without a feat. This way you can still have your ninjas and people won’t cry about others sneaking around in heavy metal.

• CruelAngel Member
      October 20, 2008 at 3:59 am #7979
      "Merrycheeza":2psgghcs wrote:
      Just make it impossible to sneak in any armor past class 1 without a feat. This way you can still have your ninjas and people won’t cry about others sneaking around in heavy metal.[/quote:2psgghcs]

Except it’s not the middle ages and nobody is wearing chainmail or full plate. Most of it has some sort of plastic/metal blend for the express purpose of keeping it light without sacrificing protection. Also there are ways armor can be sound dampened for sneaking around. So making it impossible in anything but light/no armor is ridiculous.

Personally, I don’t see what the big deal is. Sneaking isn’t some super-ninja technique, it’s just controlling how you step and move to avoid making sound. Doesn’t require special training. I do it all the time in real life and end up scaring people at work because I’m standing behind them observing their work and they didn’t hear me approach (and my job doesn’t require me to wear head-to-toe black and spend half a lifetime in a secret ninja dojo). Granted sneak doesn’t carry over so well to a MUD where it translates to entering a room without being noticed visually or audibly.

However, if you really need to have a counter to sneak, why not just do it like hiding? If I’m not mistaken, you have a chance to see hidden people without infrared as long as a certain stat is high enough? If so, just do something similar with sneak. Either tie it to the same stat, or a more appropriate one. It’s how it’s done in D&D and similar RPGs. Hide is countered by Look, Move Silently is countered by Listen. Doesn’t mean you’ll always see them coming and going, but it would mean you would see them some of the time. And to appease the light/no armor crowd you could apply a better chance at hearing the sneaking party with heavier armors.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.