Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Let’s talk about smuggling
This topic has 25 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 13 years, 2 months ago by rakun.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
    • Anna Member
      October 9, 2009 at 12:09 am #1237

Let’s discuss a better way to level smuggling. Is something needed in game, such as a refinery, or more raw spice? Anything that is public knowledge, go ahead and discuss here and get it all hammered out now. This forum is open for suggestions and discussion through October 15th. After that time, we will move onto another topic while we implement approved smuggling suggestions.

To be clear: We are discussing smuggling. We are only discussing smuggling. We are not discussing science, or espionage. Just smuggling.

• Avanga Member
      October 9, 2009 at 12:12 am #11774

– Police mobs need to correctly identify and give xp for smuggling items
      – More spice buyers would be nice
      – More items that are smuggle-able

• DCLXVI Member
      October 9, 2009 at 12:14 am #11775

Every cop or law enforcement NPC needs to be able to give smuggling experience for weapons.

Most (if not all) weapons found on NPCs should be able to be smuggled PAST said cop/law enforcement NPC.

More tier 1 and tier 2 quests. Most characters will be able to level up into these ranges pending on there luck roll. Just helps with avoiding camping and what have you.

Maybe also make certain quests a little more oriented with skills, IE that medical quest where you make bands. Maybe a refining quest that helps a spice dealer with you being in the back room cooking up more spice in the lab (spice labs anyone?!)

• Shraik Participant
      October 9, 2009 at 4:42 am #11783

I don’t think it is so much a problem of mobs not being able to see the items needing to be smuggled as it is we just need more items TO be smuggled. The gamorrean rifles right now are for some reason messed up, they end up smuggled before you even get to smuggle them and that was mainly what everyone was using for low level smuggling. The mobs are fine. There are still quests on Arkania for tier 1 and 2, granted, they are ‘grinding’ quests but they still work. However, I think a very simple fix is this:

-Distribute a few more rifles like the gamorrean rifles (ie. e-11 rifles) to other random guard mobs on different planets so you’re able to smuggle at at least 2-3 planets

• Anastasius Member
      October 9, 2009 at 6:50 am #11786

This is usually a builder oversight. There is a flagged called "Contraband" it can be added to items. What does this flag do, well it makes the item smuggled. Not able to smuggle but flags it so you cant use the same weapon over and over to smuggle. I think an imm messed up and gave the gamorrean rifle the contraband flag as well as the engineer prototype makeweapon weapons. If an imm where to backtrack and remove this flag those items would be able to be smuggled. Ohhh the flag also allows you to pawn said item and get a little exp.

• Siradril Participant
      October 9, 2009 at 11:44 am #11792

The whole digging up crystals and giving them to Alize? It is time consuming, exhausting and quite annoying. Before we discuss how we can better smugling. Perhaps you can tell us what we are looking to add? Are we looking to make it easier to level smuggling up to level 50? Because we all know leveling smuggling after makespice is acquired, happens to be piece of cake. If you are looking for ideas to create smuggling quests, then we can go in depth and write down scenarios. Which really would be better if we do not post here, just in case you guys & gals decide to put it in. There’s no sense in writing down what quest can be added here, where people can read and know before you even implement it. Furthermore as I’ve stated before, I find it silly that digging up crystals and giving them to Alize is a nice way to level smuggling. It doesn’t make sense, we are not smuggling some rare metals that Arkanians wishes to keep within their planets. Lets smuggle weapons, lets smuggle *npcs* (much like the one we did for the fusion cutter quest but it’d be actually fun to have some other NPCs popping in to stop him from escaping etcetra. There are many ideas, just tell us what are you looking for more specifically.

• Anna Member
      October 9, 2009 at 12:22 pm #11793

If it’s not working this way, then it’s broken… You should get spice in return for giving diamonds to Alize… My logic at the time was that the experience from refining the spice, and the experience from handing the diamond over should make the quest worth the while.

Is that not what’s happening?

• Siradril Participant
      October 9, 2009 at 3:16 pm #11797

The program is working well enough, I was merely not happy with the experience gain from the quest. And it’d be more reasonable to dig up spice from Ryloth than to receive them from Alize. You get about 3 unrefined glitterstim from Alize per each crystal as well as 13k smuggling experience. However those glitterstim would only be a good investment for further leveling when you reach level 50. Perhaps another quest besides yet another crystal one on Arkania could be implemented for those who wishes to level smuggling from 1 to 50 via quest instead of waiting for the currently not-well working smuggling weapon system?

• Avanga Member
      October 9, 2009 at 5:04 pm #11806

You can currently smuggle Gamorrean rifles (it’s how I leveled), the problem is there are no mobs that recognize contraband.

• Siradril Participant
      October 9, 2009 at 9:26 pm #11809

Actually I’ve figured out the issue with those rifles. As someone above stated, those weapons come off as smuggled so their contraband flags evolve into smuggledetcetraflag. You only get smuggling exp for selling them to a pwn shop which is 450 smuggling xp per rifle. That kinda sucks too but that is how we used to level smuggling indeed.

• Avanga Member
      October 9, 2009 at 10:20 pm #11810

Once again, I have actively smuggled those items past certain mobs in the game for XP.

You receive 9500 experience for smuggling A Gamorrean hunting rifle.
      You have now obtained smuggling level 26!
      Your gain is: 260 credits.

The problem is, most guards aren’t properly set to recognize smuggling items.

• Siradril Participant
      October 9, 2009 at 10:24 pm #11811

*Ponders briefly* There used to be a system for that. For instance we used to grab those rifles and alike from Lorrdian mines which we obviously couldn’t smuggle on Lorrd. We took them to Corellia which happened to be a planet governed by another clan and poked around the security NPCs that allowed us to smuggle them. I personally thought the issue was that somehow those rifles ended up being smuggled when you got your hands upon them – (I assumed such because I got the smuggling exp when selling them to a pawn shop) We need more builder-made weapons with contrabands as well as security mobs to smuggle them through.

• Slyth Member
      October 10, 2009 at 1:15 am #11821

I have a few suggestions that would improve a few things in game through use of smuggling skills.

1.) Makebinding:
      Just a skill to make bindings. Smugglers would know their way around them fairly well, being able to escape fairly quickly from them, so it would make sense for some smugglers to make some bindings.

2.) Fakesale:
      Allow players to fakesale an item to spicers/other players. They would need the spice, and if they failed, then they would end up giving the real item to person, if they succeeded, the item the player/spicer received would be a copy(generated item into $n ‘s inventory), and would disappear in 30 minutes(could use a cookie, and restrict the fakesale cookie to a immortal create spice that can be generated). Smugglers should be able to directly cheat someone out of an item, without stealing it, so the player can’t find them a few seconds later and kick their ass.

3.) Breakdown:
      Allow a master smuggler to break down an item into some components that were used in the item. like if it was a repeater, it would break down into one of each of the required items, though all gems will be lost in the process.

4.) Reroute:
      If A master smuggler uses this, they get additional more speed and hyperspeed for a short period of time. kinda like how navigator gives you the ability to travel farther, this would give you the ability to travel faster.

5.) Sticky fingers:
      Allow a player to steal one item from a vendor per day. This wouldn’t be able to be used for blueprints, but it could be used on player owned shops(just something to raise the desirability of the class).

6.) DisguiseItem:
      Allow a smuggler to change the look(name) of an item. This would be useful for a smuggler doing crimes on a planet, since it would be much harder to see what they are using.

7.) Mask:
      Allows a smuggler to mask another player through applying the disguise to the other player.

Not sure if these are good, Just figured I would put in a few suggestions. I know that some of this would need to be coded, not sure if that mattered or not though.

• Gann Participant
      October 10, 2009 at 1:25 am #11823

How about adding a few of those as a feat for smugglers?

• Drel Member
      October 10, 2009 at 3:05 am #11831
      "Slicerin_Craft":8e6ty7o5 wrote:
      I have a few suggestions that would improve a few things in game through use of smuggling skills.

1.) Makebinding:
      Just a skill to make bindings. Smugglers would know their way around them fairly well, being able to escape fairly quickly from them, so it would make sense for some smugglers to make some bindings.

2.) Fakesale:
      Allow players to fakesale an item to spicers/other players. They would need the spice, and if they failed, then they would end up giving the real item to person, if they succeeded, the item the player/spicer received would be a copy(generated item into $n ‘s inventory), and would disappear in 30 minutes(could use a cookie, and restrict the fakesale cookie to a immortal create spice that can be generated). Smugglers should be able to directly cheat someone out of an item, without stealing it, so the player can’t find them a few seconds later and kick their ass.

3.) Breakdown:
      Allow a master smuggler to break down an item into some components that were used in the item. like if it was a repeater, it would break down into one of each of the required items, though all gems will be lost in the process.

4.) Reroute:
      If A master smuggler uses this, they get additional more speed and hyperspeed for a short period of time. kinda like how navigator gives you the ability to travel farther, this would give you the ability to travel faster.

5.) Sticky fingers:
      Allow a player to steal one item from a vendor per day. This wouldn’t be able to be used for blueprints, but it could be used on player owned shops(just something to raise the desirability of the class).

6.) DisguiseItem:
      Allow a smuggler to change the look(name) of an item. This would be useful for a smuggler doing crimes on a planet, since it would be much harder to see what they are using.

7.) Mask:
      Allows a smuggler to mask another player through applying the disguise to the other player.

Not sure if these are good, Just figured I would put in a few suggestions. I know that some of this would need to be coded, not sure if that mattered or not though.[/quote:8e6ty7o5]
      A lot of those are illogical or just plain idiotic. For one, breakdown as a SMUGGLING skill? "Fuck no" sums it up; engineering (or science) if anything. Ditto for makebinding (but engineering or BH, not science). Some others (e.g. "mask") have been suggested before–being able to disguise other players is a logical extension of being able to disguise yourself (probably easier to do, from an IRL standpoint).

HOWEVER, there are a few that are genuinely unique. Fakesale and sticky fingers, while unique, are far too open to abuse for implementation, IMO. Fakesale is almost designed for it, considering there’s no "sale" system for use with other players, so its only use would be for abusing pawn shops. Sticky fingers, on the other hand, could MAYBE–MAYBE–be put in if it were limited to, say… 1 theft per shop, not 1 per day. If you found an active, competent engineer, you could be "making" upwards of 100,000 per day, near instantly.

Now, you’ll probably notice I’ve left out two: reroute and mask. I’d say "no" to reroute on the same basis as breakdown and makebinding–it should be a piloting feat, it anything; the only "piloting" feat I’d like to see for smuggling is something that lets them jump to hyperspace closer to gravitational fields than other pilots (100 units closer, or some such). As for mask… I saved it for the end because I’m 110% behind that. It could potentially be abused, yes, but no more so than "makecontainer" can–for the exact same use.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.