Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Feats MegaThread
This topic has 48 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 15 years, 3 months ago by Bai.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
    • Corey Participant
      October 18, 2008 at 8:48 am #7962

I think basically what Ocerion is saying, and what I’ve said in multiple discussions, is that the IMM staff as a whole could use some brushing up on their PR techniques. Heh, for the longest you guys even had someone IN the PR portion of the staff whom I would consider to have had the least amount of ability in that field. We all understand (or I’d hope most people at least do) that the IMMs get crapped on as a whole, however when you turn that on the players…it takes away from any of the good that you did prior. Its the same thing as good and bad customer service at a business. 9 people in a row might get excellent service and that 10th person might get bad service…that 10th person is more likely to tell their friends about the bad service than the 9 who got good service. How does this relate to the mud in general? The IMMs might be friendly as can be with 9 people and that 10th person get a little short with them…and bam…there goes the "Well since they obviously made up that BS answer, they must be cheating." Its just how it works. Everything that has been mentioned as far as the IMMs being short/rude/asses/outright ignoring people and so on, I can attest to because I’ve dealt with it myself here…so its not like its just a one player thing. It happens, please don’t pretend it doesn’t, or deny it doesn’t, because that just makes everyone involved look silly. However, I…like Ocerion did too…agree that the IMMs are doing a good job overall. Its a tough gig being in a thankless position of endless work, I’ve done it myself and it sucks at times. It’d just be nice to possibly see a less "we’re always right and you’re always wrong, no matter what" mentality, I think thats what the bulk of the posts were about.

On a side note: I agree that I’d rather see the current feats working properly (I’ve not been around lately so they could be for all I know) than seeing even more added.

• Rojan QDel Member
      October 18, 2008 at 6:53 pm #7963

[quote:3clwnrjr]But if your only response is "No one cheated." or something else, something that makes the player feel as if they were put down, they are going to BELIEVE that someone was cheating. Is that true? No. BUT THEY WILL THINK IT. Simply reassure people that something legal occured, its IC at this time and can’t be discussed, and don’t be a douche, and they won”t be near as likely to think someones cheating.[/quote:3clwnrjr]

You realize that you’re suggesting that we tell people that "its IC at this time and can’t be discussed, and don’t be a douche", and saying it is bad to simply say "No one cheated.", which is exponentially more polite than your suggested response.

If someone seriously thinks that there’s cheating going on, simply because all we can say is "No one cheated." and not give them a full explanation including IC information, then tough noogies. That’s their problem.

[quote:3clwnrjr]It’d just be nice to possibly see a less "we’re always right and you’re always wrong, no matter what" mentality, I think thats what the bulk of the posts were about.[/quote:3clwnrjr]
      We don’t have that mentality, it simply comes off as that because we CAN’T give people a full explanation, we just have to tell you "No one cheated." and expect you to trust us… And, as I said in my first post, we are only snappy with people when they are unnecessarily accusatory or disrespectful towards us.

• Avanga Member
      October 18, 2008 at 7:29 pm #7964

Oce and I, especially, came from a time where we heard that a lot from people like Raven (generally five minutes before a a certain Whiphid Jedi Master would tear-ass through the Imperial base), so I’m sure you can appreciate how difficult it is for us to trust people in power. That being said, you guys do a lot for the MUD and I’m sure we’re all deeply appreciative.

Back on the topic of feats, I’m kinda surprised at how many actually /do/ work, even though people have stated they don’t. It’d be nice if someone could go through and figure out which ones 100% do or do not.

• Niath Member
      October 18, 2008 at 10:08 pm #7965

Make salesman work on cargo too please.
      Thanks

• Avanga Member
      October 18, 2008 at 11:06 pm #7966
      "Niath":36b28626 wrote:
      Make salesman work on cargo too please.
      Thanks[/quote:36b28626]

That’s actually a grade A idea and it’d make it kinda worthwhile to have. I’m in favor of it.

I’d like to see duelist work for single-wielding any weapon, like a vibro-blade or a lightsaber.

• Corey Participant
      October 19, 2008 at 1:41 am #7967
      "Rojan QDel":2r97hfit wrote:
      We don’t have that mentality, it simply comes off as that because we CAN’T give people a full explanation, we just have to tell you "No one cheated." and expect you to trust us… And, as I said in my first post, we are only snappy with people when they are unnecessarily accusatory or disrespectful towards us.[/quote:2r97hfit]

Unfortunately Rojan, many of you guys [i:2r97hfit]do[/i:2r97hfit] have this mentality and denying it pretty much proves it in my opinion. You don’t have to admit to it if you don’t feel thats what is really going on…however I can -promise- you, the reason we’re even having this discussion (along with the many other similar ones in the past) is because of this exact concept and other people see it as this. There’s a big difference between saying "Sorry I can’t disclose information to you regarding something IC, but rest assured we’ll look into your concerns and handle them promptly if something comes of it." and saying "You just don’t get it do you? You obviously have no clue how anything works (and then proceed to ignore said person)." I can tell you for a fact the second option is something that I and others get quite often. As far as the IMMs being snappy only when people are disrespectful first, that too isn’t true. If you’d like, I can send you a PM regarding about…eh, 30 different situations just off of memory alone that contradicts this. And thats just with me, there’s no telling what else has happened to others. Again, I don’t think this is one of those "OMG I’m totally quitting! I hate you guys!" type of posts that you’re seeing here…its more of a "Hey we’re seeing a problem and would like it to be addressed and not continually ignored." post.

• Ocerion Participant
      October 19, 2008 at 11:48 am #7968

Again. All we ask for Rojan, is not a full explanation…But a little more of an awnser than "IC" and a little more polite an awnser than "You really don’t get it do you?" There ARE ways to awnser such things WITHOUT implying ANYONE is mentally challenged. Behold. I shall give you an example.

Ocerion to Immortal staff: Hey, this guy here just vanished, I think he cheated via an Imm transfering him.

WRONG, AND VERY COMMON WAY TO RESPOND: IC.

ANOTHER WRONG WAY TO RESPOND: You always gotta accuse someone of cheating if something doesn’t go your way don’t you? You’ll never get it will you?

CORRECT WAY: Well, it may seem that guy cheated and to ensure no one did, we will look into it, however I think that he escaped using some fairly sneaky IC methods, as opposed to cheating.

Sadly. It is a rarity (Though it does occur) that the third awnser is given. I don’t mean to be sounding like an ass, or coming off like I’m ripping into you guys or any of that. An Immortal SPECIFICALLY said that he doesn’t understand why players get so much rumor stuff off aim…and I was simply informing him. This /IS/ the reason. Deny it or accept it, it does not change the facts of things, it /DOES/ happen, and it happens far to often. I apologize if the way I have gone about awnsering has offended any of you Immortals, thats not the intent at all. I will 100% of the time tell you guys that you are doing far better now as a Staff than I have ever witnessed during my time playing LOTJ, I’ve been here for a lot of bullshit, Raven…Alassra…Twink…Emily…Other, shorter term Imm cheaters that I forget because they matter so little…You guys are doing /GOOD/. Take this bit of constructive critisism to heart, please. Its REALLY not an insult. Really really truly NOT an insult, a slight against you, a shot at you, anything bad. I do appreciate that you Immortals have responded, by the way. I had thought that this would be at best, ignored, at worst, a catalyst to get me banned from the Forums.

The Actual Topic:
      Salesman could be made to work and still useless. Things cap at 2500, most things you sell at a pawn shop you get that much from anyways. Or at least thats my experience. So even if you got a bonus you would still get…2500, as its capped. You should raise that cap to 5k IMO, now that there are taxes and whatnot anyways.

An actual feat for slicer that would make sense is one to make you "work faster" when slicing. I dunno, just a small boost, everything is done 25% faster or something when using a slicer skill. (When it applies)

Someone should really take the time to make an actual, (proven) list of which feats work and don’t work, this may…it may not…but it may help get them fixed faster.

• Ralen Keymaster
      October 19, 2008 at 12:06 pm #7969
      "Ocerion":hdx2yd2i wrote:
      Ocerion to Immortal staff: Hey, this guy here just vanished, I think he cheated via an Imm transfering him.

WRONG, AND VERY COMMON WAY TO RESPOND: IC.

ANOTHER WRONG WAY TO RESPOND: You always gotta accuse someone of cheating if something doesn’t go your way don’t you? You’ll never get it will you?

CORRECT WAY: Well, it may seem that guy cheated and to ensure no one did, we will look into it, however I think that he escaped using some fairly sneaky IC methods, as opposed to cheating.[/quote:hdx2yd2i]

I can think of one situation -very- recently which mirrors this almost exactly, though i wont go into detail. If the staff asked immediately look and see the ‘disappeared’ player still active and mere rooms away from the person immchatting, what would you prefer they do? Lie to the player outright and say "we’ll look into it", or respond truthfully along the lines of "you’ll just have to keep going IC and find out"? What if the latter then leads to the player then sitting there on immchatting debating whilst the original ‘vanisher’ in question DOES then make it away fairly? 99 times out of 100 that will then lead to a second accusation of ‘imms kept us talking and delayed us whilst $n got away’.

"Ocerion":hdx2yd2i wrote:
      An actual feat for slicer that would make sense is one to make you "work faster" when slicing. I dunno, just a small boost, everything is done 25% faster or something when using a slicer skill. (When it applies)[/quote:hdx2yd2i]

As a lvl150 slicer feat, me likey. Molto bene.

• Ocerion Participant
      October 19, 2008 at 1:21 pm #7970

Meh unfortunately I /THINK/ I know the exact situation your talking about. Unfortunately people tend to give me far more info than I’d like via aim and such when complaining about IC events. Don’t misunderstand, those of you that do…and those of you who are Immortals…I’ve not used aim recieved info since an event that occured years ago that netted me some major shit with the imms. Anyhow…A quick response in that situation of "We’re watching no cheating is involved." would do fine. And yeah, you can’t win everything. You do get the morons that talk to you constantly then claim you held them up. I realize its pretty difficult to "win" the situation as an Imm. But…none of that was even what I refer to. Its mostly the few times when an Imm, who is probably having a bad day, probably caused by us whiney bitch Morts, just jumps off the deap end snapping at a person right off the bat…and that phrase itself is viewed different with some people, I think snapping at people would be, for example, what it would be called if this whole post had been a "F you" post in response. But some people find smaller things "Snapping" and "chewing out". Ahh. I suppose since its so comparitively irrelevant that its not a big deal. I mean…we went from Raven slaying and banning people for asking a question at the wrong time…to Imms who sometimes get a bit short with people. But still the fact remains…this is why a lot of times people take things to OOC stuff to let off steam. I know its why I’m always told things OOCly I don’t need to know about. Furthermore and maybe this makes me the bad guy but I think its kinda good for people sometimes to let off steam in such a manner. I mean, its bad to spread the info around OOCly, sure, but if its to someone who keeps their IC and OOC straight whats the harm? You guys should hire a staffer to just…talk to people and take shit. Funny as that sounds…it wouldn’t be a bad idea. Someone people could legally vent to, cuss out, scream at, whatever makes them feel better that day…to keep it off the mud. Course. It would require someone with massive patience…

• Oteri Participant
      October 23, 2008 at 9:12 pm #8019

Best idea concerning feats EVER:

Get rid of them, they’re stupid. Make them skills. That’s basically all they are anyway.

• Walldo Keymaster
      October 24, 2008 at 4:29 am #8024
      "Oteri":1w9dwrh7 wrote:

Get rid of them, they’re stupid. Make them skills. That’s basically all they are anyway.[/quote:1w9dwrh7]

Quoted for truth, maybe.

• Drel Member
      October 26, 2008 at 1:14 pm #8032
      "Walldo":2mzcb7f8 wrote:
      "Oteri":2mzcb7f8 wrote:

Get rid of them, they’re stupid. Make them skills. That’s basically all they are anyway.[/quote:2mzcb7f8]

Quoted for truth, maybe.[/quote:2mzcb7f8]
      AGR. The old feats were more like it, but these (outside of a very select few that don’t EVEN WORK, and maybe a few that do) are just renamed skills. Feats are supposed to define your character… narrow their focus… not just give them a couple of new, fancy skills.

• KoolAidMan Participant
      November 2, 2008 at 7:44 am #8066

i’d like to see a return of refresh…I built a combatant with that feat in mind beginning of era 2…sadly i left due to rl and came back to find it gone

• Onasaki Participant
      January 10, 2009 at 7:48 am #8806

This appears to have turned into a flamefest. I thought we were suposed to be suggesting making them better, and adding new ones?

Honestly, I’ve only used one feat the entire time I’ve had this character. It doesnt’ seem do do much, but I think it’s bugged. That would be the navigation feat, where you focus power to speed or hyperdrive to lessen the time and fuel. I’m not sure exactly what my ratings were before I got the feat, but I can’t tell the difference now. Anyway, that’s just my say.

I’ll post my ideas into another thread however.

• Rojan QDel Member
      January 10, 2009 at 11:54 am #8807

After not reading this thread, and as some of you already know, we’ve already decided to bring back the old feats system next era (or timeline), and are hoping to include all past and current feats, while weeding out redundant ones.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.