Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Discussion – Leadership
This topic has 32 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 14 years, 2 months ago by Delk.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
    • Avanga Member
      December 28, 2009 at 2:07 am #1347

So I thought I’d post my earlier thoughts on leadership and training and etc so that others can discuss and build on them.

So here we go: I think leadership should be disbanded and instead, the skills can be merged with diplo and teaching abilities go to people with 150 in their mains… IE, smuggling main hits 150, he can group and train people in smuggling.

• Corey Participant
      December 28, 2009 at 3:55 am #12923
      "Avanga":225cpuoj wrote:
      teaching abilities go to people with 150 in their mains… IE, smuggling main hits 150, he can group and train people in smuggling.[/quote:225cpuoj]

Woah! No way would I support that..teaching is already out of hand as it is..no need to make every single player able to teach their field.

• Kirash Participant
      December 28, 2009 at 4:38 am #12925

I honestly don’t know what to think of Leadership. On the surface, the subclass idea was brilliant, but I’ve only ever seen it used with Engineers and Scientists since it seems to give its biggest boosts to them. I’ve yet to see leader mains with any other subclasses. I tried to create a Leader/Slicer, but the level spread was so shitty that I wound up suiciding him… thank god he was a free race.

• Avanga Member
      December 28, 2009 at 4:50 am #12926
      "xpuma20x":1cpea8cb wrote:
      "Avanga":1cpea8cb wrote:
      teaching abilities go to people with 150 in their mains… IE, smuggling main hits 150, he can group and train people in smuggling.[/quote:1cpea8cb]

Woah! No way would I support that..teaching is already out of hand as it is..no need to make every single player able to teach their field.[/quote:1cpea8cb]

I don’t see how that makes sense… teaching is hardly out of hand. Look at the way things are right now, people have the options of a skill grind, questing, or finding a teacher. Questing is hardly tolerable for repeat quests, and I think it should have been kept for special items and things. Grinding is just as boring. Finding a teacher, if it becomes more commonplace, can promote more RP among the players, form IC bonds, give clans a way to recruit new members, so on and so forth.

• Corey Participant
      December 28, 2009 at 6:26 am #12928
      "Avanga":1kndatbo wrote:
      "xpuma20x":1kndatbo wrote:
      "Avanga":1kndatbo wrote:
      teaching abilities go to people with 150 in their mains… IE, smuggling main hits 150, he can group and train people in smuggling.[/quote:1kndatbo]

Woah! No way would I support that..teaching is already out of hand as it is..no need to make every single player able to teach their field.[/quote:1kndatbo]

I don’t see how that makes sense… teaching is hardly out of hand. Look at the way things are right now, people have the options of a skill grind, questing, or finding a teacher. Questing is hardly tolerable for repeat quests, and I think it should have been kept for special items and things. Grinding is just as boring. Finding a teacher, if it becomes more commonplace, can promote more RP among the players, form IC bonds, give clans a way to recruit new members, so on and so forth.[/quote:1kndatbo]

Here’s how it makes sense. Within an [b:1kndatbo]hour[/b:1kndatbo] on one character I had combat, slicer, smuggling, espionage and leadership fully maxed. Even if all 5 were 150, it would have taken about the same time, give or take a few minutes. The fact that the person who did the slicer also did the smuggling and espionage…and the person who did the combat did the leadership…had a WHOLE lot to do with it. Not to mention the actual teaching command itself raising you to 97% in the selected field? Come on…97?

• SgtFlippy Member
      December 28, 2009 at 12:47 pm #12939
      "xpuma20x":2dn9q4oy wrote:
      Here’s how it makes sense. Within an [b:2dn9q4oy]hour[/b:2dn9q4oy] on one character I had combat, slicer, smuggling, espionage and leadership fully maxed. Even if all 5 were 150, it would have taken about the same time, give or take a few minutes. The fact that the person who did the slicer also did the smuggling and espionage…and the person who did the combat did the leadership…had a WHOLE lot to do with it. Not to mention the actual teaching command itself raising you to 97% in the selected field? Come on…97?[/quote:2dn9q4oy]

Well i’m surprised you can make a character and max it in three skills within an hour, considering it takes a bit of time to write a description and history. Obviously you aren’t as informed as you’d like. You got teaching from a science leader which in itself has its limitations. My main leadership interaction has been with combat subclass’ which seem to be quite useful. Not to mention they have great groundwork for good rp options(Sniper squads anyone?). The point you made about 97 becomes irrelevant when you look at the skills that science subclass is going to be able to teach, they’ll never get anywhere near blaster mastery, let alone flurry or any 100+ confrontational skill. Science skills still level out due to the plethora of skills you’re going to need to research from 97 to 100, those last three %’s usually taking longer than getting to 97%.

Going against the grain, i agree with Avanga on this. Abolish the leadership skill set which is mostly irrelevant except for one command and the feats. Not only would it make there something to do with your character after you’d maxxed your 150 but it would make it take longer for people to actually get the skill levels. What with having to find various teachers and not having one all knowing teach-all person who can powerlevel you in such a short time.
      Theres been plenty of discussion on where the skills should and could go if leadership was removed, but i don’t think we really need to reiterate on that.

• Smartalupagus Member
      December 28, 2009 at 2:54 pm #12940
      "SgtFlippy":2qk2vkqa wrote:
      Well i’m surprised you can make a character and max it in three skills within an hour, considering it takes a bit of time to write a description and history. Obviously you aren’t as informed as you’d like. You got teaching from a science leader which in itself has its limitations. [/quote:2qk2vkqa]

Okay. I don’t especially like leaders. I have one myself and I rarely play it. But I know for a fact that you can level a new character within an hour I’ve done it many times. Ever hear of having desc and history ready for a character before creation? It’s not a great argument. Neither is calling the poster uninformed, that doesn’t help anything. All leadership subclasses have limitations (thank the sw gods). But anyone can level slicer within 5 minutes to 150. Leveling smuggling is not that different. Add a combat main and you are leveled in 4 areas in around an hour. Allowing anyone to level other people in their class would get out of hand. All classes could be leveled within an hour. What would be the point? RP value sure.
      AIM CHARACTER: Yo, I made a new character, wanna level me?
      AIM SMUGGLER: Sure
      AIM COMBAT: I’ll be on in a second
      AIM SLICER: I’m on Arkania
      and so on and so forth. I don’t think so. It happens enough already.
      However, it would be great not having to run packages. It’s not the greatest of systems. I miss datachips, but that’s just my opinion and has nothing to do with this thread

• SgtFlippy Member
      December 28, 2009 at 3:13 pm #12941

My point was that not all leader mains can teach skills to 97%. And even if you had multiple people helping you level, the idea was that only one could do it at a time, not have 4 people in your group each doing something at the same time which is a bit blatantly suspicious. You both seem to exaggerate the time it takes to level these skills, it goes off what the persons levels are, which means someone with 30 slicing isn’t going to level you in 5 minutes flat.

What is your argument exactly? You’ve more or less said exactly the same thing as Kirash(In a weirder round-about way) and then made some monologue on breaking ooc/ic rules? I’ve no concerns about people being critical about what i say, but atleast make some sort of point to your post or expand on the topic.

• Kirash Participant
      December 28, 2009 at 4:50 pm #12942
      "SgtFlippy":3cqu6pgr wrote:
      What is your argument exactly? You’ve more or less said exactly the same thing as Kirash(In a weirder round-about way)[/quote:3cqu6pgr]

He did? All I did was admit that I know absolutely jack shit about leader mains aside from the only two I’ve seen thus far.

• Corey Participant
      December 28, 2009 at 5:02 pm #12938
      "SgtFlippy":11s0t765 wrote:
      Obviously you aren’t as informed as you’d like.[/quote:11s0t765]

And [b:11s0t765]obviously[/b:11s0t765] you’ve gone full blown idiot. I’m not exaggerating a single thing, just because you can’t have a background written up before you make a character doesn’t mean the rest of us can’t. And just because you’ve never had a character leveled that fast doesn’t mean others haven’t. Stop pretending you know everything because [b:11s0t765]obviously[/b:11s0t765] you don’t. Not only have I had a character leveled that quickly (again it only took finding two different people for 5 classes…both of which were on Arkania) but I also have leader mains that can do it. I leveled someone’s combat in about 15 mins the other day (to about level 90 iirc), not to mention whatever leadership they gained too…and on another character of mine I leveled someone else’s slicing to 150 in what was more than likely less than 10 minutes. So until [b:11s0t765]YOU[/b:11s0t765] are the one that is more [b:11s0t765]informed[/b:11s0t765], shut your hole about what others can and can not do.

As far as the topic itself. I’m completely fine with the concept of allowing leaders and diplomats to be combined together, but no way should every character be able to teach their field…especially at the same rate that leadership is already at.

• Kirash Participant
      December 29, 2009 at 1:12 am #12945

Well before this topic gets derailed by pointless name calling, I’m suggesting we get back on track please.

• Avanga Member
      December 29, 2009 at 2:18 am #12946

Puma, my suggestion only applies to the character’s main class… not every class.

[quote:3a2b71xg]IE, smuggling main hits 150, he can group and train people in [i:3a2b71xg][b:3a2b71xg]smuggling[/b:3a2b71xg][/i:3a2b71xg].[/quote:3a2b71xg]

• Corey Participant
      December 29, 2009 at 2:41 am #12948
      "Avanga":2bmstmbb wrote:
      Puma, my suggestion only applies to the character’s main class… not every class.

[quote:2bmstmbb]IE, smuggling main hits 150, he can group and train people in [i:2bmstmbb][b:2bmstmbb]smuggling[/b:2bmstmbb][/i:2bmstmbb].[/quote:2bmstmbb][/quote:2bmstmbb]

Yeah I understand that and still don’t agree with it. There’s no reason at all to allow everyone the ability to teach their main. Its just not logical and overloads something that is already extremely easy to get done anyways. Perhaps if the ability to powerlevel people was touched up on (IE not being able to get someone fully leveled in a few minutes) then [i:2bmstmbb]maybe[/i:2bmstmbb] it’d be something to think about..and thats a big maybe

• Avanga Member
      December 29, 2009 at 2:50 am #12949

It’s absolutely logical. If anything, it makes more sense than the current system of "here’s your documents, now I’m better at hacking computers".

Your main argument against it seems to be that leveling is too fast. Why is that a problem? This doesn’t speed things up any more… if anything, implementing leadership like this would slow things down because people would NEED to find a different teacher for every class. Besides, leveling has always been fast. It’s always been faster than it is today, and since we’ve toned down the rate at which people can gain xp, people have become more timid and combat has become more cowardly. The MUD needs an imm-kick in the ass just to get it moving again! If people know they can replace their characters, they’re more willing to take chances. Besides all that, I’ve leveled a lot of characters already and I can say without a doubt that I’m tired of the grind that we have to do before we’re viable in the MUD’s dynamics.

This also does something imms are always looking for these days: It gives characters with 150 in their main a big advantage over characters who have a lower level but a wider spread.

Now that all of that is out of the way, I never did say that I wanted it to be exactly the same. This is a discussion, for discussing the possibility of an implementation like this. A modified version of the Jedi apprentice code could be used to take someone on as a student and show them the ropes. Anything is possible with code. Get out of your narrow-minded perspective. Think up ideas.

• Kirash Participant
      December 29, 2009 at 3:07 am #12950
      "Avanga":16g7qr25 wrote:
      This also does something imms are always looking for these days: It gives characters with 150 in their main a big advantage over characters who have a lower level but a wider spread.[/quote:16g7qr25]

I know I’m going to sound like I’m playing devil’s advocate, but it’s just something that popped in my head when reading this.

That sounds more like encouraging twinking which I am a die hard advocate against. Now don’t get me wrong, I do support people who get 150 to have some type of advantage over the ones who just spread, but giving too much of an advantage will have the side effect of seeing just the same races being played. I can just picture 60 players being online in LotJ with 45 of them being Rodians for an example. Maybe I’m just viewing this from a negative perspective.

I’m not saying I don’t like your idea Avanga. I think it’s interesting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.