Legends of the Jedi Forums The Next Timeline Story/plot thread (updated with proposal)
This topic has 97 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 8 years, 9 months ago by Tofuergus.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 98 total)
    • Walldo Keymaster
      February 14, 2015 at 8:33 pm #24641

I’ve posted our initial idea for the storyline on page 2

Hi!

This timeline, we started out with the Hapan Consortium popping up to rival the Republic. Last timeline it was the Republic and Sith Empire in a cold war type scenario. I believe the timeline before that was Mandalorian invasion.

What sort of themes, plots, storylines and clans would you like to see in era 1?

What do you like (or don’t like) about era 1 generally? What are some of your favorite era 1s and what made them work?

Unfortunately, we don’t have a lot of details about Episode 7’s plot, but I would like to see some of those elements incorporated throughout the timeline.

• Domovoi Participant
      February 14, 2015 at 9:37 pm #24658

I don’t want to research too much into Ep 7 because I want to go into the movie with no expectations.

So what about this? A future timeline where the Republic has become so bloated and corrupt that nothing gets done, and it has to deal with a mass planetary secession movement, sparking a civil war? Sounds a lot like Clone Wars, yes, but it could be a bunch of minor clans and they have to coordinate and work together to be able to take down the massive Republic.

Now it sounds a lot like this era, but it seems most people are more keen on staying out of the political circle any more than they have to.

I’m talking a Republic that is totalitarian and corrupt and isn’t afraid to smack down an upstart planet that decides it wants to break away.

• StormRyder Participant
      February 14, 2015 at 9:40 pm #24660

So you are suggesting a Republic that started backsliding into Imperial ways?

• rakun Participant
      February 14, 2015 at 11:02 pm #24662

Or, perhaps 4 to 5 small clans, trying to make alliances, eventually forming two larger clans, one of those including the Republic probably (at least one or two of these clans should be more good aligned), which end up fighting for domination until the end of era 1, when one forms the galactic empire.

Or, Hutt Empire vs Republic.

• veric Participant
      February 15, 2015 at 2:40 am #24667

problem with alliances/mergers is both sides usually want to be the one that absorbs the other side and not lose their identity.. which then ends up with stalemates. if we have many small clans next TL we really need more or less forced mergers if clans becomes stale.

• Kirash Participant
      February 15, 2015 at 8:21 am #24674

They’re already experimenting with multiple small clans this Era. I don’t feel like it is stagnating things too much. It didn’t really take long for one of the minors to become a major. The problem with doing that, though, is that there is a limited player count, and everyone will generally flock to the one they like the best or the one where their clique is leaving other ones high and dry and ripe for dissolution.

• frumpalumpaguss Participant
      February 15, 2015 at 10:07 am #24677

Last night I was serious. Ssiruuvi Imperium v Old Rep. Maybe add the Sith Empire in there too. Three Majors, with the current planet count that we have, would be pretty stout, I think.

• Paco Participant
      February 15, 2015 at 5:05 pm #24681

I like Walldo’s idea from last night. Republic and the Confederaceh! Toss in a couple engineering clans and maybe one or two minor clans to add some chaos to the mix.

• Inactive
      February 15, 2015 at 6:01 pm #24682

im hoping im going to be in the right place for suggesting this so here goes! instead of something thats repeated in an era going back to the first, its not that impossible to continue after the current timeline progression. i have been doing some digging and come up with something that i dont think has been done just yet, its an era which focuses on the gray jedi theory. the jedi council would become predominant along with the sith but its not empire or republic based its simply the two major factions. in this idea the jedi council has become extremely rigid cause the previous failings believing the stricter they become the better to enforce the light side. i do want to mention that all this info is after the dissoloution of the empire which could very well occur right now. the sith empire is obviously responding in kind its practices becoming even more radical yet just as strict as the jedi. heres the kicker a third faction of force users comes up, possibly four cause theres two more very different ones possible. the gray jedi theory is one avoided and disdained by both sides obviously cause their intentions and rules are never very clear, because the gray jedi are able to use both sides of the force without falling prey to total darkness or total light. more commonly reffered to as the jansaarians, neither main side of the force trusts them and generally seek to wipe them out though in my digging they never really succeed. the fourth is the voss mystics who are viewed as gray but they are totalitarian in government, they focus though on healing practices and visions. they accept no other teachings than their own and abhor all the rituals used by either side. totally more details could be involved but wanted to pitch the main jist of it. let me know what you think! there is a balancing factor to having multiple force users of course the different professions alotted to force users even if they dont rely on force powers or even lightsabers. personally i think it would be neat to be a gray jedi.

• Seryb Participant
      February 15, 2015 at 9:14 pm #24684

I would like to see the Old Republic and Mandalorians personally. I’ve always been a fan of having two majors from the onset where you knew they would eventually end up at war together. I think during wartime people play more and for me at least the RP has always been really enjoyable. Plus I’ve a cool app idea so I would like this for selfish reasons, and I think the past couple Old Republics have been pretty pedestrian so I’d like to try and change that.

That being said this era with a ton of mini’s hasn’t been terrible, some good RP some bad. The usual impediments to progress always pop up and can be annoying but that would happen regardless of era setup.

• cnemus Participant
      February 16, 2015 at 8:45 am #24689

Themes: Discovery
      Plots: Galactic Conflict
      Storylines: Quest for Major Clan status
      Clans: Many small government clans, crime!

My favorite era 1 was the mandalorian empire era (I just love the mandos though). Ultimately conflict and competition drive story; diplomatic, economic, and of course violent. We don’t all enjoy the same parts of the game and making sure there is a place to play the way you want to is important to me. I really like this era’s setup and might suggest a couple ideas for discussion. These are just example ideas, not great ones at that.

1. Minor clans are a threat. There used to be a helpfile somewhere about what a minor clan could do to become major, I can’t find it if its still around. Let them capture planets. We could start with everyone as minor and bump them when they control 3 planets. Possibly only grant a safe sector when a clan controls 5+ planets. Reduce the major clan ship allowance to 5+1/3. It should be /hard/ to protect planets /and/ field a battlegroup. The bigger you are the easier it should be for a smaller clan to snip at your heels.

2. Discovery; of the Force, of uncharted planets, of new ships. Force: see force thread. Planets: Maybe only four planets start in the navicomp, not make them hidden, but require navcharts be purchased and installed. Ships: Upgrade artifacts could be scattered, not to do away with develop, but to augment it. Encourage exploration with discovery. Get people out of clan bases. Make quest items level req’d, don’t let non-combat/hunters (100) turn in lylek. More quest items that benefit something other than combat (propaganda/slice/hide boost anyone?). The idea here would be that no matter your meta-knowledge of the game there are [more] things to find and [more] reasons to play every class.

3. Rule 4, for clans. In War and Crime there is an understandable tendency to wipe out a clan (or at least its ability to ever restore itself). I believe the safe sector was a system established to curtail this, but trying to seek a happy medium between poking each other with the comm stick and utter annihilation to foster an enduring conflict that will offer opportunities for interaction not just today, but also tomorrow (Hapans did this well with the republic era 1 I felt, complete outsider perspective).

I strongly support the least-coding/build required ideas. Change a rule (a little) for 1 Era and see how it works. Ultimately for a good era I see opportunity (to play how you want), conflict (major, minor, personal), and a small dose of responsibility (how can I incorporate what is good for the mud into my rp instead of simply justifying my personal desires) bringing the magic. And Jawas.

• Seryb Participant
      February 16, 2015 at 1:25 pm #24692

If small clans could capture without any sort of imm approval this current era and the potential small clanned era 1 would be a lot more fun. If there were to be five to seven small clans we would need the full load-out of worlds however to allow for lots of power grabs. With that idea you could have a pretty good enduring conflict assuming the player base sorted itself evenly. I don’t really like the idea that as you get bigger you lose the ability to field ships, you should still gain it making other clans want to steal your worlds to become the most dominant force. If one clan was major and controlled 8 of the 12 worlds they should have more ships. That being said four other clans would be minor at that point and if they were smart they would form a group alliance and attack four worlds at once forcing the majors fleets to divide and put themselves at greater risk or simply cede control of a world or two keeping the ones they felt were most important.

Force I can still go either way on. Maybe introduce at the end of era one to help surge the mud into era two with some power grabs by the good/dark/neutral whatever ends up being decided.

• Walldo Keymaster
      February 24, 2015 at 2:52 am #24777

I am leaning towards more of a Clone Wars setting. I haven’t thought about any specific details, but it would be great to see warrior races back in play. There is a lot of wiggle room to fleshing it out – start with the split recently happening, aim for it being at the end of the era, somewhere in the middle – they would all create very different IC environments.

There is an angle here to empower a lot of planetary leaders, be it senators, governors, whomever, to guide how things shape up.

>Rakun Or, perhaps 4 to 5 small clans, trying to make alliances, eventually forming two larger clans

Y’all know I like this as an era 3 device but I am not sure how well it would play out in era 1. I think it’s an era setup that works well but we don’t want to overdo it. I feel like era 1 needs a little bit more structure to them so they can lay a groundwork for the rest of the timeline.

Seryb I would like to see the Old Republic and Mandalorians personally.

Yeah, I want to see Mandalorians worked in too. Maybe as a smaller, minor group instead of an empire, I think it has been a while since we’ve had them in that role. In an ideal world people wouldn’t do the whole Mando’a thing but no promises there lol

It’s too long to quote but I think Cnemus is more or less correct across the board on what makes a good era: discuss

• rakun Participant
      February 26, 2015 at 4:45 pm #24809

Well, it is understandable. However, sometimes I felt like people making friends or enemies this era has been threatened by the presence of a larger clan. Of course, there’s other problems as well (like people being friends, or people wanting to keep power of their own clan, etc)

Personally I think an actual Hutt Empire would be cool as well. And yes, dark jedi, if forcers are included in era 1, can be a part of the Hutt Empire too.

Mandalorians are usually pretty cool, too, yes. Crime is too.

• Seryb Participant
      February 27, 2015 at 11:58 am #24810

It has been threatened. Kinda bothersome at points when clans interfere with every little thing. Seems like it’s gotten better though. One negative to so many little clans is that so many of them are still lingering on. If we do a small clan setup again let them capture planets etc. that would weed out some groups that have fallen to the wayside.

Warrior races would be fun as long as there is still enough diversity. Seeing everyone as the same thing is kinda lame. If we were to start out in the clone wars it would be fun to actually have the clans start at war. 2 or 3 majors going at it right off the bat would be fun. (maybe restrict pk for the first two weeks to allow for leveling/gearing)

The rest of the clans could sit back and supplement the ongoing conflict

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 98 total)
The topic ‘Story/plot thread (updated with proposal)’ is closed to new replies.