This topic has 30 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 13 years, 11 months ago by Fishy.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
    • Drel Member
      April 25, 2010 at 2:56 pm #1462

Develop shouldn’t be 150; it should be back where it used to be–at 135. As it stands, it’s very rarely (as in, you have to be a high-science race) that a non-science main can get 150 science. And can a scientist really develop medicine or cybernetics better than an actual doctor? Can a scientist really develop new spaceships and weapons better than an actual engineer? I don’t think so. Common sense doesn’t think so. Real life doesn’t think so. LotJ’s history doesn’t think so. Put it back at 135 and tack on some sort of "your character should plausibly know what the fuck he’s doing" requirement.

• Kirash Participant
      April 25, 2010 at 3:33 pm #14236
      "RenegadeJedi":2i2qfccx wrote:
      Develop shouldn’t be 150; it should be back where it used to be–at 135. As it stands, it’s very rarely (as in, you have to be a high-science race) that a non-science main can get 150 science. And can a scientist really develop medicine or cybernetics better than an actual doctor? Can a scientist really develop new spaceships and weapons better than an actual engineer? I don’t think so. Common sense doesn’t think so. Real life doesn’t think so. LotJ’s history doesn’t think so. Put it back at 135 and tack on some sort of "your character should plausibly know what the fuck he’s doing" requirement.[/quote:2i2qfccx]

I’m all for making develop 135 again. If you don’t have an established background that shows your character knows about what he or she is developing, then you shouldn’t even be involved in the development cycle imo. This doesn’t mean "Oh I’ve got all these sciences adepted on my Medical main, I can help develop ships!" That’s just fuckin’ retarded. Unfortunately, I don’t know how this can really be enforced unless it has something to do with Imm pre-approval on developments. Even then, it’s mostly a self-policing thing.

• Avanga Member
      April 25, 2010 at 4:30 pm #14237

Develop is at 150..? How are you supposed to reach it with xp capping at 105? And if you say quests, I will murder the first char I come across. >:[

• Gathorn Participant
      April 25, 2010 at 4:36 pm #14238

There are -ridiculously- easy tier 3 and tier 4 science quest(s).

• Avanga Member
      April 25, 2010 at 4:44 pm #14239

Who in their right minds looks at the Science class and says, "You know what this class needs? More things to bot!" …and who AGREED with it!?

• Delk Member
      April 25, 2010 at 5:40 pm #14240

Science can be taught to 150 by a LS or through massive lame Science questing. Either way both obtainable and easy. Yet develop should go back down, Also I was told that if a character wants to develop something they need the corresponding skill to go along with it. So someone who does not have refinespice could not develop a new spice. Yet thats just what I was told

• Avanga Member
      April 25, 2010 at 6:35 pm #14241
      "Delk":3uw3ps9b wrote:
      Science can be taught to 150 by a LS or through massive lame Science questing. Either way both obtainable and easy. Yet develop should go back down, Also I was told that if a character wants to develop something they need the corresponding skill to go along with it. So someone who does not have refinespice could not develop a new spice. Yet thats just what I was told[/quote:3uw3ps9b]

I don’t understand why the fall-back is always "it’s easy". Of course it is. I haven’t been challenged once by this MUD since the old Laish was removed. Quests always boil down to a take all timer or a keyword guessing game. Neither of those are challenging. They’re mind-numbingly tedious. Last time I tried to play an engineer, I spent a week straight botting in the ass-end of the MUD while package camping. No character interaction, nothing. Which part of that makes a [b:3uw3ps9b]game[/b:3uw3ps9b] [i:3uw3ps9b]fun?[/i:3uw3ps9b]

• Kirash Participant
      April 26, 2010 at 12:28 am #14243

[sarcasm]
      Yes because the old method of leveling (botting datachips) invited so much more interactivity…
      [/sarcasm]

Anyway, thanks for derailing the thread. Back on topic.

• Fishy Participant
      April 26, 2010 at 12:59 am #14244

Just as little interactivity, but at least it went by faster and could be done anywhere and didn’t require active attention.

You could sit around with a bunch of people in the library or wherever and study and chat.

With quests, you have to be in a certain room to collect a certain package then go deliver it. And anyone else you encounter is probably competition.

• Walldo Keymaster
      April 26, 2010 at 6:34 am #14251
      "Avanga" wrote:

If you want character interaction, stop hanging out in the ass-end of the mud and go to the population centers.

• Ilyena Participant
      April 26, 2010 at 8:11 am #14256

I liked the science related quest that Gral set up on Nim Drovis last timeline. Sure it was broken and really obscure, but I really enjoyed that. It actually made me feel like I was doing something within the game world that didn’t rely on other players not being complete arses (although I suppose it did rely on that in some way). It was science-based too.

I suppose that the only enjoyable part of the whole science skill-set is the development RP, really. The rest of the skill tree is used elsewhere, as a pre-requisite to actually making good things, but no other skills are really purely science based.

• Avanga Member
      April 26, 2010 at 2:52 pm #14263
      "Walldo":5xij4r5l wrote:
      "Avanga":5xij4r5l wrote:
      [/quote:5xij4r5l]

If you want character interaction, stop hanging out in the ass-end of the mud and go to the population centers.[/quote:5xij4r5l]

I’ll tell you what. Make it so leveling these classes isn’t such a solo botting grind and I will gladly spend my time leveling AND rping in the company of others.

You can’t act as if it’s my fault that I have to spend so much godforsaken time trying to get my char up to snuff. I didn’t remove datachips, I didn’t put the skills where they are and I didn’t design the new quests.

Ps, apologies for derailing again. =/

• Kirash Participant
      April 26, 2010 at 2:54 pm #14264

Alright, now that we’ve turned this thread into Avanga’s personal whine whine whine section about how he thinks quests are screwed up…

Hey Wally, can we have 135 Develop again pretty please?

• Avanga Member
      April 26, 2010 at 3:00 pm #14265

TBH, I don’t see the big deal… I have COMBATANTS with 150 science. I haven’t looked at the level modifiers recently though, so I don’t know how common it is. I don’t see Develop as the end-all be-all skill of the science class, it should really be the bread and butter of it.

In short, I kinda agree with Kirash.

• kcons Member
      April 26, 2010 at 3:29 pm #14267

Maybe it should be lowered due to the possibility of a low, low, low, LOW chance of successfully developing. I understand not wanting anyone to hit a successful develop with ease. But, are we really expected to role play 40 plus hours of develop? You reach a certain point of insanity. I think lowering the skill may up the chances of a breakthrough probability (just by having more players developing at one time) but its sort of a mysterious skill.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.