This topic has 30 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 13 years, 11 months ago by Fishy.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
    • Kora Participant
      April 26, 2010 at 5:34 pm #14273

I’ve never developed anything, so pardon the newbie question, when developing something does everybody involved in the RP need to hit 150 science, or is it just that you need at least one person who does?

..Also, I’ve never made an engineer without 150 science, and the only medic I’ve made without 150 science was Mandalorian (which get crappy everything except combat and BH, so she doesn’t count). Are there really a lot of characters out there who ICly should be able to develop something but won’t hit 150?

• Ctheknight Member
      April 26, 2010 at 10:09 pm #14276
      "Kora":li10fb86 wrote:
      I’ve never developed anything, so pardon the newbie question, when developing something does everybody involved in the RP need to hit 150 science, or is it just that you need at least one person who does?

..Also, I’ve never made an engineer without 150 science, and the only medic I’ve made without 150 science was Mandalorian (which get crappy everything except combat and BH, so she doesn’t count). Are there really a lot of characters out there who ICly should be able to develop something but won’t hit 150?[/quote:li10fb86]

I have an engineer main and I have more science levels than I do engineering. So no. There aren’t that many characters, unless you pick a bad science race, that don’t get 150. I picked human which isn’t any kind of high race, just your get decent levels in each class race.

• Drel Member
      April 27, 2010 at 3:00 am #14279
      "Kora":1ho7vt0a wrote:
      ..Also, I’ve never made an engineer without 150 science, and the only medic I’ve made without 150 science was Mandalorian (which get crappy everything except combat and BH, so she doesn’t count). Are there really a lot of characters out there who ICly should be able to develop something but won’t hit 150?[/quote:1ho7vt0a]

I have a medical main that’s worked on developments throughout the last era, and he doesn’t get 150 science (and he has a + to it racially!). Maybe as an engineer it’s a bit rarer, but medical mains have the same base science as combat mains; that isn’t exactly development-friendly. Slicers (about the only class besides medical and engineering that I could see developing something; some other mains could likely end up assisting, but they don’t typically have the knowledge to do it on their own) are likewise handicapped against being able to develop. In short, there might not CURRENTLY be a lot of characters out there who should be able to but can’t (the Arkanian spam accounts for most of that, I think), but it’s not a difficult situation. A slicer or medical main would need something like +30 science to hit develop. By that logic, doctors in real life should never, EVER be developing new medicines; the +20 to science Humans get would never put them in reach of such lofty arts.

• Walldo Keymaster
      April 27, 2010 at 3:36 am #14281
      "Kirash":1knu2bq3 wrote:
      Alright, now that we’ve turned this thread into Avanga’s personal whine whine whine section about how he thinks quests are screwed up…

Hey Wally, can we have 135 Develop again pretty please?[/quote:1knu2bq3]

I don’t understand why. Clans are actively developing as it is with it at 150. The OP’s point was "most races cant get 150 science to develop" but uh, that’s the point.

• Drel Member
      April 27, 2010 at 3:27 pm #14284
      "Walldo":2dyi63jq wrote:
      "Kirash":2dyi63jq wrote:
      Alright, now that we’ve turned this thread into Avanga’s personal whine whine whine section about how he thinks quests are screwed up…

Hey Wally, can we have 135 Develop again pretty please?[/quote:2dyi63jq]

I don’t understand why. Clans are actively developing as it is with it at 150. The OP’s point was "most races cant get 150 science to develop" but uh, that’s the point.[/quote:2dyi63jq]
      …but it’s not even being restricted realistically. A human medical or slicer main should be able to develop.

• Inactive
      April 27, 2010 at 4:10 pm #14288
      "RenegadeJedi":3dlwwm4z wrote:
      "Walldo":3dlwwm4z wrote:
      "Kirash":3dlwwm4z wrote:

Hey Wally, can we have 135 Develop again pretty please?[/quote:3dlwwm4z]

I don’t understand why. Clans are actively developing as it is with it at 150. The OP’s point was "most races cant get 150 science to develop" but uh, that’s the point.[/quote:3dlwwm4z]
      …but it’s not even being restricted realistically. A human medical or slicer main should be able to develop.[/quote:3dlwwm4z]

Uh, no? Joe the Computer Guy down the road can’t invent the next Intel processor and my local physician can’t cure cancer. It doesn’t work that way.

• Avanga Member
      April 27, 2010 at 4:34 pm #14289

Historically, that’s actually exactly how it works. Look at penicillin, bubble wrap or the post-it note. Lots of important discoveries have been accidental, and sometimes it really is an average guy who finds ’em.

• Kora Participant
      April 27, 2010 at 7:39 pm #14290

I hate to repeat myself, but does EVERYONE involved in a development need to have the develop skill?

If not, then this is all silly. You need a team of people to develop things in the real world, and just because you understand how cars work inside and out doesn’t mean you have the knowledge of theoretics to apply that to building something new. Of course some people do, but those are the some people who are hitting 150 science as non-science mains. You can help out, sure… but you’re not going to be the one coming up with the new design in the end, not even if you’re the resident expert on the subject. I don’t see the problem :/

..As for finding solutions or inventing things accidentally, that’s one of those things that would be silly if the code supported. Sure, it could be done (a .01% chance that when you finish an operation you get a message saying "You see a way to improve your work!"), but it’d undermine the whole point of developing in game. …And kill a lot of RP.

• Kirash Participant
      April 27, 2010 at 9:17 pm #14291
      "Kora":2otumafq wrote:
      I hate to repeat myself, but does EVERYONE involved in a development need to have the develop skill?
      [/quote:2otumafq]

Not particularly, no. You can theoretically have people there to help in the development RP and such who don’t necessarily have to have the develop command.

• Ctheknight Member
      April 28, 2010 at 1:36 am #14293
      "Avanga":26gpf4g4 wrote:
      Historically, that’s actually exactly how it works. Look at penicillin, bubble wrap or the post-it note. Lots of important discoveries have been accidental, and sometimes it really is an average guy who finds ’em.[/quote:26gpf4g4]

Penicillin – Discovered first (reportedly) by John Tyndall – Physicist.
      Bubble Wrap – Created by two engineers/inventors who formed Sealed Air, a publicly traded company specializing in packing materials.
      Post-It note – Accidentally discovered by two scientists at 3M. – Accidental? Yes. Average Guys? No.

PS: For the record, they didn’t invent the post-it note. The post-it note was the result of them accidentally finding a ‘low-tack’ adhesive.

• Anastasius Member
      April 28, 2010 at 1:49 am #14294

Okay ffs. Its a GAME. You do NOT have to have levels to RP. The skill requires more then 150 science to use. You need a clan, you need an empowerment and you need money in your clan bank. Chances are you have all of that with at least one person in your clan. So jeez. You wanna develop something. Freaking do it. RP it out mail the logs to PR and have your science guy in the clan drain your cash for the break through.

• Avanga Member
      April 28, 2010 at 1:58 am #14295

Those weren’t the best examples of what I was trying to explain, but the point is that they didn’t set out to develop those things. And I was referring to Alexander Flemming when I mentioned penicillin, but okay. Bubble-wrap, by the way:

[quote:2hdhvzpq]Unintentional Invention
      # Bubble Wrap was invented in 1957 by Alfred W. Fielding and Marc Chavannes, who were trying to create a new kind of textured plastic wallpaper with a paper backing.[/quote:2hdhvzpq]

The point is that many breakthroughs aren’t intentionally sought after, they’re discovered during the day-to-day in whatever careers these people focus in.

And regardless, looking at the way this conversation has gone… what the fuck are we talking about anyways?

• SgtFlippy Member
      April 28, 2010 at 12:13 pm #14299
      "Avanga":34m5huqy wrote:
      [quote:34m5huqy] who were trying to create a new kind of textured plastic wallpaper with a paper backing.[/quote:34m5huqy]

[/quote:34m5huqy]

Bubble wrap doesn’t have a paper back?

P.S. DERAILED!

P.P.S. – As Anas said, do some rp, send in relevant logs and such via an _APP_ and wowee you might just get it without the need to use develop at all. Oh the joys of this being a game where magic does happen!

• Gathorn Participant
      April 30, 2010 at 8:25 pm #14320

Going to highlight key questions and respond to them.

[b:2g8xdvn3]Does everyone have to have 150 science/develop command to RP development?[/b:2g8xdvn3]

No. As long as you have 1 developer heavily involved in the RP, you can include your "Average Joe"s as Avanga called them to assist with the developmental RP.

[b:2g8xdvn3]Do I have to RP all 10000 hours of development spam?[/b:2g8xdvn3]

No, but you are expected to have enough RP backing when you finally ding on a development. It’s generally better to feel you have MORE than enough RP than not enough RP.

On a side note, from what I see, there has hardly been a shortage of people capable of developing, let alone developmental RP including non-developers. I really do not see the "lack of 150 science" people being an issue as chances are, as so many people have stated already, you already have one or two at the least readily available to handle the coded aspect and join in on the RP.

[edit] I’ll update with more questions as I see them pop up. If I missed something glaringly obvious, let me know, but these two questions and the last points seemed like the biggest and most cause for concern.[/edit]

• Drel Member
      April 30, 2010 at 8:32 pm #14322
      "Gathorn":3kks4jxt wrote:
      On a side note, from what I see, there has hardly been a shortage of people capable of developing, let alone developmental RP including non-developers. I really do not see the "lack of 150 science" people being an issue as chances are, as so many people have stated already, you already have one or two at the least readily available to handle the coded aspect and join in on the RP.
      [/quote:3kks4jxt]
      I never said there was a lack of the AMOUNT of people with 150 science. I specifically mentioned the spam of Arkanians and Omwati engineers/medmains/etc. as the very opposite of that; there are plenty of people that aren’t science mains that get develop.
      What I did say was that it’s not how many people are getting it, but WHO’s getting it; specifically, who’s not–Human medical/slicer mains and all sorts of other non-science mains that should be getting develop. I’m not saying they should be able to develop everything, but there should be an override for the "150 science" requirement for people that SHOULD be able to develop… like Human medical mains developing a new medicine or cybernetic.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.