Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Clan Taxes. Rea life and balancing rolled into one.
Tagged: 
This topic has 29 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 10 years, 12 months ago by Delk.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
    • Delk Member
      May 12, 2013 at 6:39 pm #21887

So I have brought this idea up a few times. It tends to get shot down because I bring it up. Yet again its time to hear it. Clan taxes. The ability for a clan to tax its members and any “formal” business conducted on their planets. A simple change of planetary taxes does not work, or it shuts down how our cargo works. Easy fix. A tax set by the governing world from 0 to 5%. Meaning a clan could have no taxes if that is what they wished. Or they can now have the good reason to fight over trade routes or even engineering firm worlds on a sheer economic basis. It would also ease the stress of cargo running on major governments allowing for 1/2 the clan to not be cargo slaves.

Things I think it should entail:

Taxes cargo

Taxes stores

Makes fuel cost more for none clan ships.

All shops owned by characters in a clan would be taxes.

Makes owning a shop or running cargo on opposing faction soil have double taxes.

It would also create a rather large ability of conflict for just territory beyond strategic placement or ship values. Well traveled planets now become a huge resource to control. Best cargo routes now become a war zone because of the simple fact they generate profit even if you are not using them.

Biggest point: It removes a government clans only way of earning credits. Donations.

• Johnson Participant
      May 12, 2013 at 7:00 pm #21888

I am confused. Governing clans already have the ability to set planetary taxes that do just about all these things. Cargo routes are already taxed. Shops are already taxed. Some planets already have up to 20% tax rate. What exactly are you suggesting here?

• Delk Member
      May 12, 2013 at 7:07 pm #21889

You are mistaken. Those funds only go to the planet. Not the governing clan.

• Delk Member
      May 12, 2013 at 7:08 pm #21890

Only pawnshop taxes go to the governing clan. So remember if you want to support your government. Sell at their pawnshops.

• frumpalumpaguss Participant
      May 12, 2013 at 7:45 pm #21892

This seems like it would be fairly easy to implement.  Anything that can give a government reason to capture/maintain a planet is worth it.

• Johnson Participant
      May 12, 2013 at 8:06 pm #21893

showplanet ->

Tax Rate: 15%        (Tax Income: 6918)

showclan ->

Monthly Revenue: 15061

I was under the impression these two were somehow correlated. And if not, why the hell not?

Mind you, it is my opinion that major clans should receive just about all their funding from taxing planets, which means the current dribble of tax incentives are not nearly enough. It doesn’t really make sense for major governments to be running cargo and doing other forms of trivial labor for credits. That is what minor clans are for.

• Delk Member
      May 12, 2013 at 9:00 pm #21894

Revenue does nothing. Tax income is a direct correlation to planetary regeneration of funds. Essentially available funds each tick for cargo. Why you need to balance taxes under 20% vs low buy price to get the proper amount of regeneration for onestop shop.  If revenue mattered. It can swing so far and so fast that it could bankrupt clans over night.  Trust me when I say this. The only incentive to control a planet is RP and extra fleet resources. You gain nothing from owning the best cargo routes in the ways of taxes. Same with owning planets that have huge shop markets with two engy firms.

• Delk Member
      May 12, 2013 at 9:01 pm #21895

I will say this again. Besides PAWNSHOPS the only credits coming into a government is via donate command or  now clan vendors

• Kirash Participant
      May 12, 2013 at 9:47 pm #21896

Majors, especially governments, really need something other than cargo running and fetch quests in order to make revenue. Some kind of bonus for holding certain planets or X amount of planets held gives Y amount of credits to the controlling clan at Z intervals…kind of like how Empire At War gave you more credits the more planets you held.

• Delk Member
      May 13, 2013 at 12:22 am #21897

I had been considering proposing a system similar to that actually Kirash. Yet it still did not feel like it gave the right player driven dynamic. More figured people could still boycott supporting a clan this way. Instead of it only being up to opposing clans to stop them. Making so even a engineering firm could pick what side they support in just as simple of a way of taxes.

• Walldo Keymaster
      May 13, 2013 at 12:33 am #21898

(ID: 940) Taxes
      ———————–
      I fixed shop taxes. Previously, they were not actually diverting the
      appropriate funds to the governing clan’s account. Now they do.

Shopkeepers, you should take note!

———————–
      Made by Miros Mon Oct 22 22:32:34 2012

• Delk Member
      May 13, 2013 at 12:38 am #21899

One part of the complaint is not relevant I suppose. It still does not change the fact that cargo could be turned into a war starting vendetta.  Is that the only feed back you have walldo?

• Corey Participant
      May 13, 2013 at 12:52 am #21900

As long as all options can be turned on/off or set to 0% or whatever, sounds cool to me. I’d like to see clan owned ships have values set on them that forces a clan set % of the profits from cargo running to be donated. And maybe slap a smuggling skill in to skim from the top.

• Walldo Keymaster
      May 13, 2013 at 8:26 pm #21901

I guess I’m not sure what the idea is here otherwise. Just start taxing cargo routes?

• Delk Member
      May 13, 2013 at 10:54 pm #21902

Adding fuel stuff as well. Making it so clans got funds for other people getting fuel on their worlds.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.