This topic has 47 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 8 years, 8 months ago by Helix.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
    • Kirash Participant
      July 22, 2015 at 1:03 pm #26194

Yeah I’ve always had an issue with the status quo mentality of “One fleet pilot, the rest cargo bitches”. There have been a couple of people who HAVE tried to move away from this by teaching others, but when it comes down to it and shit hits the fan, it always reverts back to it. This is more of a player mentality thing and can’t really be fixed codewise.

• brendo Participant
      July 22, 2015 at 1:15 pm #26198

The way the planetary support, pirates, and orbital ships system works, along with the 2 caps in 24 hours, losing an entire fleet can be highly detrimental, even fatal to even a major clan.

• Bando Participant
      July 22, 2015 at 1:19 pm #26200

What about just doing away with battlegroup? I mean would that kill space combat for alot of people? And no not saying this with any malice. Just wondering what would become of space without battlegroup

• Xavious Participant
      July 22, 2015 at 2:07 pm #26212

I suspect that the skill cap for space would be reduced dramatically and it would be all about who has the most pilots on at any given time.

I would actually be interested to see what would happen with battlegroups removed altogether, but I’m also really curious to see the affects of the most recent changes. Making limits based on planets instead of just having a giant base fleet minimum of 10 ships is a pretty big change.

• Zeromus Participant
      July 22, 2015 at 2:09 pm #26213

I think a lot more people would get involved in space if you could control squadrons from the squadron lead as well as have it protected by the battlegroup(squadron) protection.

• brendo Participant
      July 22, 2015 at 2:10 pm #26214

Battlegroups being removed altogether would dumb down space combat to a point that it is all but pointless to be “a student” of. Smaller battlegroups are fine, and still allow skill to separate great pilots from just good or decent ones.

• brendo Participant
      July 22, 2015 at 2:12 pm #26215

Zero just nailed it. Having squadrons manned by a pilot in the “lead”, launched from a capital, and protected by the battlegroup formation. The squadron leader could have full access to the squadron commands. That would limit how powerful a battlegroup commander can be, with 3 capitals and 15 squadron ships. Jesus, Zero, that’s a brilliant idea…

• Andvari Participant
      July 22, 2015 at 2:16 pm #26216

until the squadron leader gets tractored

• brendo Participant
      July 22, 2015 at 2:18 pm #26217

That’s easy to fix. Give squadron ships under battlegroup position protection, protection from being tractored by anything save their host ship.

*Also, just one time of grabbing a combat main or something else in that lead ship would prevent it ever happening again. Such is the beauty of fighter pilots, you could theoretically be level 1 piloting, though you’d suck in a dogfight. :p

• Zeromus Participant
      July 22, 2015 at 2:29 pm #26219

The fighter pilot archetype was one of my favorites from the movies and it’s always been really unfortunate that we don’t have the opportunity to play that kind of character

• Quicksilver Participant
      July 22, 2015 at 3:02 pm #26222

I have some mild concerns that 3 ship battlegroups just won’t bave enough oompfh to get the job done. Which could be good or bad, depending on the situations. It will make killing Ocerion THAT much more annoying.

• Seryb Participant
      July 22, 2015 at 4:41 pm #26237

Being a fighter pilot is my dream.

• Seryb Participant
      July 22, 2015 at 4:43 pm #26238

Also I think 4 ships might still have been the way to go. More variation in how you can set up the formation. Regardless I’m excited to see how fleets of three works out. Less spam will be nice.

• wash Participant
      July 22, 2015 at 7:37 pm #26277

@Xavious: Thanks. I think you know which Captain to blame for the naval knowledge I picked up end of last timeline :p. I think you’re right about player counts, especially if you account for time zones – a new player in a non-EST timezone may be able to take “shifts” at non-peak hours.

Others have mentioned that a clan’s fleet is it’s most expensive/least replaceable military asset. In addition to that, capitalrules violations can end up rewarding your enemies for your mistakes. You also get access to things like bombard, which have major IC effects. It does seem that space PvP players have a lot of responsibility. To some degree, I think anything that would “dumb down” space combat or make it /drastically/ more accessible would lead to future challenges.

I’d love to see a squadron leader sort of role. Tractor protection for squadron ships with battlegroup position protection would be necessary, though. As a way to incentivize the use of squadron leaders, perhaps player-lead squadrons could be given a large bonus to BOMB runs, such that the most effective way to bombard popular support into capture range would be to use squadron leaders. I’m not sure if it’s possible to form a battlegroup with /just/ squadrons, but this could potentially be a good way to allow newer pilots to get battlegroup experience without risking as valuable of a resource.

@Walldo
      : My suggestion for incentivizing new people to get involved with space combat would be to require two battlegroups to blockade a world. This would has a possible positive side-effect: if the aggressor has to use two non-full battlegroups (say 2 and 2), it would strengthen the defending battlegroup (say a full 3 ships) as the defender would have better battlegroup position protection.

For worlds owned by the clan, I’d suggest only one battlegroup would be needed to blockade. Doing it this way would nerf a major clan’s ability to go steamroll on a minor’s territory so they can send down a ganksquad. I

• Kirash Participant
      July 22, 2015 at 7:45 pm #26279

I once asked someone how viable it was to make a fighter pilot. They said not at all. I thought this was a grand shame.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.