Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Asteroids and Junk
This topic has 34 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years, 6 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
    • Rojan QDel Member
      April 3, 2009 at 4:28 pm #9637

That’s a strange, but slightly correct way to look at it. Every piece of code in the MUD is either C or (minimally) C++. There really is no Smaug language, but the syntax of functions, etc. are all Smaug-based (as in all smaug muds have a similar syntax), but still in C.

• serialize Participant
      April 3, 2009 at 7:19 pm #9638

Totally unrelated but apparently when your mental state becomes ridiculously high it still says "Seekest thou a cleric" which I’m pretty sure is a leftover from the original SMAUG or DIKUMUD codebase which were used for fantasy MUDs first. First time I saw I laughed.

• Inactive
      April 6, 2009 at 4:11 pm #9671

The er, ‘SMAUG’ language is just for doing mob/object/etc programs and doesn’t really have anything to do with the MUD’s code itself.

• Avanga Member
      October 11, 2009 at 12:48 am #11846

Necromancy, mwahahaha!

I was thinking over the whole thing concerning asteroids and I realized that you guys are making it too big and complex, and it’ll never get implemented, so here’s my shot at making them a little more feasible for implementation.

Asteroids themselves would need to be:
      – Randomly spawning in a stationary location (uncharted, probably)
      – Last a limited amount of time (moved on or mined out)

The next step would be adding a new ship type, some sort of [b:1ghn2h0z]mining rig[/b:1ghn2h0z]. It would have to be large enough that pilots (large spacecraft?) would be required to maneuver it.

Then, you make it necessary to have an engineer along to [b:1ghn2h0z]survey[/b:1ghn2h0z] the asteroid and then [b:1ghn2h0z]establish[/b:1ghn2h0z] a mining operation. Bam, the asteroid generates revenue or rare materials or what have you for the clan in question. Here’s the catch: to everyone else, the asteroid is attackable, just like a ship would be. This’d mean there would be a need for policing of these things, and it’d become even more interesting if pirates were fixed and re-implemented.

• Inactive
      October 11, 2009 at 2:57 am #11850

More easy would be the actual construction of the mining platform by engineers, then towed with a ship (like satellites) to the asteroid. You couldn’t use vspace for that without considerable recoding.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.