Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium A better way for fleet.
This topic has 33 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 12 years, 2 months ago by Gathorn.
Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
    • Gathorn Participant
      March 3, 2012 at 3:09 pm #18571

They’d just be developing bigger and better cruisers. If you make ships ONLY in the center, then that type of ship becomes semi-useless, so the need to make COMPLETELY USEFUL ships bigger and better becomes the need. So if you allow cruisers on the outside, and heavy ships only in the inside, then all that happens is people will want cruisers to be more dangerous. They are already faster and more fuel efficient than any heavy ship, all it’d take is developing and going “I want a better cruiser”.

• Gathorn Participant
      March 3, 2012 at 3:17 pm #18572

Weird, can’t edit my post. In regards to strategy, there still is some strategy in regards to space combat. It has shifted more to preparation and logistics than actual space combat strategy, but with BGs being small again there still is tactics and strategy in space. It may seem insignificant, but any pilot who knows what they are doing, and how to control their fleet will win over someone who only has a basic understanding.

To add some clarification, there are also tactics to ground combat. However, like anything else, both space and ground are subject to the Law of Superior Numbers/Firepower. I’m sorry if that bothers people, I know ground-wise it bothers me. Why doesn’t it bother me in space? Because in space, there are more than enough ways to know what exactly you are getting yourself into. That just isn’t really the case with ground.

• Kirash Participant
      March 3, 2012 at 11:56 pm #18574

i won’t argue that gathorn. i’m simply saying that there should be more variety. in a realistic sense, fleets never rely on a single type of ship. they use several types to make up for weaknesses in the other types. practically, at this time, it isn’t feasible because there are a lot of strengths in big ships, but for the most part, the weaknesses are negligible.

• Gathorn Participant
      March 4, 2012 at 12:12 am #18575

That’s because having a strength of (something not damage) really means nothing in the grand scheme. It helps, but generally, space fights are decided by damage output + fuel. High shields don’t mean anything, because those are sucking your fuel. High hull just means you can afford to take hull damage before recharging. Fuel efficiency helps, definitely, but can be managed. Speed doesn’t really offer anything other than being able to outrun/escape prevention, which generally is a good thing to have but most people don’t know how to tell when they’re going to lose the fight, so they wait until it is too late to try and gtfo. My point wasn’t big ships, but ships with heavy weapons. A cruiser with the same weaponry as a heavy ship is JUST as deadly as said heavy ship, is what my point was.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.