Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Why does clan language exist?
This topic has 24 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years, 2 months ago by StormRyder.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
    • Kirash Participant
      January 22, 2015 at 8:19 am #24575

I’m on the fence about clan chat being tappable regardless of whether or not it is an unbreakable encryption. Something about it doesn’t sit right with me. “Bad feeling about this” kind of thing. I’m not entirely against clan language being removed. There are other ways to circumvent microphones. I just think that more thought needs to be put into it rather than just a big “HEY GUYS! CLAN LANGUAGE IS GONE! GOOD LUCK NOW!” Like I said, this is all just one big “feels wrong but don’t know why” situation. Sorry I can’t be more concise.

• frumpalumpaguss Participant
      February 25, 2015 at 12:18 pm #24795

I want to bump this. I really want to start this whole discussion back up, and have it set for the new TL. To clarify, I think clan language should be out. I think tapdata should pull clan channels, but the channels are encrypted and unbreakable.

• downer Participant
      February 25, 2015 at 12:27 pm #24796

I agree that clan language should be removed. I would also like to see tapdata pull clan comms in an undecryptable kind of way. The largest problem I have with tapdata is you could have a persons greet, know they are awake and talking on comms and get all that from tapdata, but as soon as they walk into their clanbase you stop being able to get anything from them. I find it grossly frustrating.

• Xavious Participant
      February 25, 2015 at 12:28 pm #24797

I’d like to start out next TL without clan languages as well. They are tacky and OP. I know this will create a huge opportunity for all manner of mistakes and information leaks, but I think it will just be amusing and fun to see. I also think this is easier to change without digging too deep into the code.

• Xavious Participant
      February 25, 2015 at 12:30 pm #24798

@Downer I’m not sure what someone walking into their clan base has to do with tapdata.

• cnemus Participant
      February 25, 2015 at 12:53 pm #24799

I support pulling clan language or at least making it translatable. I would also support clan comms getting picked up by tapdata.

@Xavious
      As far as bases, some clanbases appear to be on separate world files and tapdata only collects the local world traffic. At one point mucking with a worlds area file just to install a clan was a lot tricker than installing an attachment to a new area (world) file. Of note, this is not an all-clans issue but a base-by-base thing. Not going to list them here. That said, pulling all clans into the appropriate world or linking them to the tapdata network would be a great move, but work vs. reward, clan language seems like less work for more.

• Xavious Participant
      February 25, 2015 at 1:11 pm #24800

Ahhh.. I’m relatively inexperienced with using tapdata. That does sound like a problem, but a building one if I’m not mistaken? I wouldn’t expect it to be that hard to fix, but I have no idea how the relationship between area files and tapdata works either.

• StormRyder Participant
      February 25, 2015 at 5:59 pm #24801

I’ve been on a mud where they removed clan language and made it that clan talk auto-translated languages so everyone could understand each other on clan channel. Don’t remember if they had ability to espi the line though.

I vote removing clan language and letting the clan channel being tapped but so heavily encrypted that translation is impossible. That way if someone is on the planet you are taping you can tell that someone is communicating on ‘X’ clan channel, if you’ve met and ‘greeted/dubbed’ someone you would would be able to know they are the one communicating. Should only be effective on outgoing communication from the planet surface.

• Kirash Participant
      February 25, 2015 at 6:08 pm #24802

Yeah they did that for us on our Clantalk too. It automatically translates all languages.

Still on the fence with tapdata tapping clan comms. I don’t honestly see any good reason to do it.

• StormRyder Participant
      February 25, 2015 at 6:41 pm #24804

They wouldn’t be able to understand the message, only see that someone is transmitting to that channel currently on the planet. Good to see active people on the planet etc

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.