Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium While we're upgrading slicers….
This topic has 20 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years, 3 months ago by Zeromus.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
    • Cronlan Participant
      December 10, 2012 at 8:24 am #20460

The brave bothan spy, in the dead of the night breaks security protocols and hacks the lift of the Imperial Citadel. He arrives at the throne room, empty and dark. He wonders if an alarm has gone off or if a patrol will spot him. He finds the database in the next room and hooks up his datapad… jackpot. Five tense minutes pass before the download is complete… he has the Imperial Roster.

Satisfied, he turns to the lift. He takes a step towards it before being ripped in half by a red lightsaber. A silent alarm, he wasn’t skilled enough to break it. His last thought was that he should have bought that coprocessor.

So, a lone agent or a strike team hit the enemy base and slice the database. Bingo clan roster. Perhaps a feat that allows a slicer to rosterhack or add it to tapdata?

I know this might seem powerful, but the option should be that there are many layers of security in  a clan base preventing anyone but the best from getting in and out alive, and even then…

Maybe some modification or a reward less powerful than roster. Any thoughts?

• Sarac Participant
      December 10, 2012 at 8:32 am #20461

I like the idea of being able to hack a roster, if you’re brave enough to rock up into someone’s base and you’re not detected, why can’t we have it? 😛

• Walldo Keymaster
      December 14, 2012 at 5:51 am #20528

This is a pretty cool idea but there needs to be some sort of counterbalance to prevent a late-night raid or whatever

• Niel Member
      December 14, 2012 at 5:58 am #20530

If check for X amount of clanmembers on for it to work? I can see how that can be abused to know a minimum number of members online, so perhaps a base wide (maybe channel) alarm if you abort.

• Zeromus Participant
      December 14, 2012 at 2:26 pm #20534

Why not instead of a full roster, a tapdata point that lets you discover who from that clan is currently online?

• frumpalumpaguss Participant
      December 14, 2012 at 3:00 pm #20535

I think that would be an OOC violation, because who clan is only for OOC use.

• Zeromus Participant
      December 14, 2012 at 3:15 pm #20536

Yeah, I made the suggestion to have tapdata use it, not who clan. I have no idea why you even brought that up. At work, I can figure out who is logged into my network if I really want to. It wouldn’t be against logic to be able to tell who is currently accessing a clan’s network.

• frumpalumpaguss Participant
      December 14, 2012 at 4:24 pm #20538

I just thought it would be against OOC because it states the amount of active players for a clan is purely OOC.  I’m not saying it’s a bad idea, just didn’t know if it would be considered legal.  Easy killer =]

• Zeromus Participant
      December 14, 2012 at 4:37 pm #20539

Yeah, I’m pretty sure the imms, who are the ones that would be implementing that idea, are also the ones that decide whether or not things are legal or illegal. Just saying.

• Altrez Participant
      December 14, 2012 at 5:42 pm #20542

What IC source would  you be hacking that could tell you who is currently online?

I think that’s frumps point. Who clan is the only source right now in game, and it’s considered OOC.

There’s no magical comlink detector that spans galaxy wide, identifying all members in a clan.

What I think might be more interesting for this idea is the ability to steal development progress. That’s what happens with real wars, steal the enemies technology. Suddenly your new durasteel design is in the hands of the enemy because your top secret research facility was infiltrated.       Edit: For some reason I had a whole paragraph of white space.

• Zeromus Participant
      December 14, 2012 at 5:43 pm #20544

You really couldn’t think of a single thing? You don’t think that there’s a central network somewhere that encrypted comm traffic is routed through? Like email, instant messaging or just about every modern communication that exists ever?

• Karik Participant
      December 14, 2012 at 5:52 pm #20547

I agree with Walldo that there should be a way to counter balance it, or at least if this is a possibility, make getting into a base a lot harder. There are plenty of people right now who can easily get into a clans base undetected by them selves.

• Walldo Keymaster
      December 14, 2012 at 5:54 pm #20548

Cronlan’s original post is worth discussing. having it be based around the number of clan members online is not a good idea. Having it show who is online in a clan is worth discussing. Arguing about the IC semantics of it is not.

“How it makes sense ICLy” is like the last step of designing mechanics. If it is a good gameplay mechanic, you can invent whatever IC explanation you want for it. Arguing over this is a dumb derail.

• Cronlan Participant
      December 15, 2012 at 3:55 am #20550

I think a good counterbalance to this could be slice and secure. If you can get good protection, or the best slicer, you deserve to be protected/to get the info.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.