This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 15 years, 3 months ago by KoolAidMan.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Xavier Keymaster
      January 21, 2009 at 2:33 am #961

I have this idea for a system that could play well into even the roleplaying aspect of LotJ. You will be able to choose (at character creation) both negative and positive character traits. These traits will cost Trait Points, which you receive a very small amount of to start. However, you can add negative traits to your character (which would award you more Trait Points) in order to purchase more positive traits. This would create an excellent opportunity to customize your character while adding unique functionality to your gameplay.

Here are some examples.

[b:392linoc]Starting Trait Points:[/b:392linoc] 5

[b:392linoc][size=150:392linoc]Positive Traits[/size:392linoc][/b:392linoc]
      [list:392linoc]
      [b:392linoc]Sturdy[/b:392linoc] [size=85:392linoc](-10)[/size:392linoc]
      Your physical training has paid off. +150 Health.
      [/list:u:392linoc]

[b:392linoc]Iron Jaw[/b:392linoc] [size=85:392linoc](-1)[/size:392linoc]
      Many fist fights have conditioned you. Increased hand-to-hand damage resistance.

[b:392linoc]Athletic[/b:392linoc] [size=85:392linoc](-13)[/size:392linoc]
      You’re quite the athlete. +2 Dexterity, +1 Strength

[b:392linoc]Sharp Eye[/b:392linoc] [size=85:392linoc](-10)[/size:392linoc]
      You have excellent vision. Increased Scan range.

[b:392linoc]Light Footed[/b:392linoc] [size=85:392linoc](-20)[/size:392linoc]
      Sneaky; Very sneaky. Permanent silent-sneak.

[b:392linoc][size=150:392linoc]Negative Traits[/size:392linoc][/b:392linoc]
      [b:392linoc]Hemophiliac[/b:392linoc] [size=85:392linoc](+10)[/size:392linoc]
      Your blood lacks the proper cells to coagulate efficiently. You will sustain bleeding damage when you are stricken.

[b:392linoc]Mute[/b:392linoc] [size=85:392linoc](+25)[/size:392linoc]
      For some reason or another, your vocalchords no longer function. You are unable to use the talk, say, yell, or whisper commands.

[b:392linoc]Clumsy[/b:392linoc] [size=85:392linoc](+12)[/size:392linoc]
      You are not quite as graceful as others. -2 Dexterity, impossible to use Sneak.

[b:392linoc]Dull Witted[/b:392linoc] [size=85:392linoc](+5)[/size:392linoc]
      The Gods have not blessed you with the most functional brain. -2 Intelligence

The costs and such are kind of arbitrary, but I that gives you a general idea. I think this sort of thing could add a lot of color to the characters we meet, as well as the ones we play.

• Avanga Member
      January 21, 2009 at 2:36 am #9005

Cute, but not practical.

Athletic will never be picked on creation because it would fuck up stat training/lucky gains. The negatives are too negative… especially Mute. Player could never use a clan turbolift, buy materials, or communicate.

• Xavier Keymaster
      January 21, 2009 at 2:38 am #9006

They’re just examples. There’s a lot of stuff that could be done with it.

The stat-increasing traits wouldn’t alter anything having to do with training or gains. It’d just simply be like exceeding the maximum that Character Creation allows you to increase it with your stat points.

As for Mute, I’ve met a couple of characters that didn’t use speech to communicate. I’m sure it’s a hassle, but it was unique and I enjoyed the experience. But again, they’re just examples.

• Corey Participant
      January 21, 2009 at 2:48 am #9007

Its like the merit and flaw system used in World of Darkness

• Walldo Keymaster
      January 21, 2009 at 6:37 am #9011

I like the basic premise of getting unique characteristics on a character, but not as specific as this.

At chargen, let players just select a trait. If you want to get fancy, have the # of traits you get a combination from =LCK stat and real life luck somehow.

I don’t think it should be as plain as "+ stat gain" but more ‘unique’ traits like your first few (sturdy, iron jaw, sharp eye, light footed might be a bit too much). It has a very ‘Fallout 3’ feel to it.

• Xavier Keymaster
      January 21, 2009 at 7:06 am #9012
      "Walldo":ay09r48t wrote:
      I like the basic premise of getting unique characteristics on a character, but not as specific as this.

At chargen, let players just select a trait. If you want to get fancy, have the # of traits you get a combination from =LCK stat and real life luck somehow.

I don’t think it should be as plain as "+ stat gain" but more ‘unique’ traits like your first few (sturdy, iron jaw, sharp eye, light footed might be a bit too much). It has a very ‘Fallout 3’ feel to it.[/quote:ay09r48t]

Unique traits would serve such an awesome purpose if we could get a lot of them in the pool so that when someone has a certain trait, it really is special. As it is, one character really isn’t any more special than the other (waiting for the Force comment on that one). One ‘expert’ slicer is just as good as any other character with 150 slicing. Putting in unique traits and quirks like this will make characters stand out a bit more, I think.

• Ilyena Participant
      January 21, 2009 at 4:21 pm #9017
      "Rojan QDel":2mxemxq8 wrote:
      Sounds like feats?[/quote:2mxemxq8]

Negative. Feats are things you learn, traits are things you are born with or occur naturally.

• DCLXVI Member
      January 31, 2009 at 1:42 am #9056
      "xpuma20x":1o8yu42f wrote:
      Its like the merit and flaw system used in World of Darkness[/quote:1o8yu42f]

Actually it sounds more like Shadowrun than World of Darkness. They had a lot of things where negative traits would give you more points to use for positive traits. It was a pretty simple trade off. Not sure how this would work on LotJ though, if at all.

• KoolAidMan Participant
      January 31, 2009 at 2:14 pm #9057
      "DCLXVI":6amrggyk wrote:
      "xpuma20x":6amrggyk wrote:
      Its like the merit and flaw system used in World of Darkness[/quote:6amrggyk]

Actually it sounds more like Shadowrun than World of Darkness. They had a lot of things where negative traits would give you more points to use for positive traits. It was a pretty simple trade off. Not sure how this would work on LotJ though, if at all.[/quote:6amrggyk]

Lol, my bisexual/vindictive/lech Face would run around permin everything that turned it down. But traits could be a good thing, Also look into packages from rollmaster as well, they had some really good ones.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.