Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium The Problems with Space
This topic has 21 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 12 years, 9 months ago by Walldo.
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
    • Avanga Member
      July 19, 2011 at 10:32 pm #17566

[quote:sgxnz2nr]In terms of canon, turbolasers SHOULD fry anything smaller than a corvette in 1-2 blasts. The problem was, turbolasers tracked so slowly they were useless against smaller ships (remember, that is why they deployed TIE Fighters in A New Hope). I can’t speak of the accuracy right now but if it is an issue maybe turbolasers hitting small ships should be toned down.[/quote:sgxnz2nr]

ANH and ESB both show the Falcon not only evading ISDs, but taking direct fire from them and managing to survive for prolonged periods of time. The Falcon is understandably better than a normal ship but characters on the MUD are better than normal people, and it only makes sense that they should be at least as capable of surviving those sort of situations (if it’s their thing).

• Modem Member
      July 21, 2011 at 1:12 am #17567
      "Avanga":3o58f0z5 wrote:
      The Falcon is understandably better than a normal ship but characters on the MUD are better than normal people, and it only makes sense that they should be at least as capable of surviving those sort of situations (if it’s their thing).[/quote:3o58f0z5]

The people aren’t the ones being hit by turbolasers.

• Avanga Member
      July 21, 2011 at 2:31 am #17568

I’m sure there’s a trope to cover something like the Falcon. The whole concept of an item or vehicle that’s "better" than everything else in it’s league. All I’m saying is it should be possible for people to have the kinds of ships that can survive the kinds of beatings that the Falcon could. It’s no fun being torched in one shot.

• Kora Participant
      July 23, 2011 at 7:05 pm #17586
      "Walldo":2yva9j9n wrote:
      One idea I’ve always been fond of is essentially ‘view distances’ in space for when you look. I’ve probably mentioned it before but it works basically like this:
      X-Wing XW01 is 500 or less distance from me: I see XW01 (like you do now)
      XW01 is 501-1000 distance from me: I see ‘A starfighter’
      XW01 is 1001-2000 distance from me: I see ‘a metallic object’

The actual distance numbers I said are arbitrary and would be tweaked. It would scale up with the size of the ship (IE You would see capital ship names further than 500).

Building on that would be giving ships radar ranges based off the sensor array stat; the higher the stat, the further away you would detect a ship. If a ship is sitting on the opposite side of the sector you would never notice it unless you sent a scout ship or had a battlegroup’d satellite out there.[/quote:2yva9j9n]

This would be awesome. Planets and their coordinates would need to be able to be seen from anywhere in the sector still, or people who try to fly without datapads will drift aimlessly for hours. But I really like the idea of needing to get a little closer to ships in order to see exactly what they are.

How would the ‘look’ portion work with the radar? You might see "A starfighter" when you look, but read the actual name of the ship on radar?

• Avanga Member
      July 23, 2011 at 7:17 pm #17587

I’m totally down with view/sensor distances. I’d also like to see things you can hide in/behind like asteroids and such but the space system is a little unpredictable when it comes to positions so I don’t know how that would work.

• Walldo Keymaster
      July 25, 2011 at 5:26 pm #17589

please stop junking this thread up (:

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.