Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Suggestion: Keys
This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Xavier.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • maverick Member
      May 6, 2013 at 1:23 am #21828

I know we have keys, but I also see a lot of locked doors that, to my knowledge, dont have a player obtainable key. Give slicers or espi classes the ability to use a blank keycard (like the ones in the Arkania mining camp) to generate a key for that lock… Im thinking something like the spy movies use, that black box with the ribbon cable they jam into the keycard slot, let it tinker around for a minute and DING! you have the passcode, now swipe your blank keycard and poof it now has the magnetic strip required to open the door.

Requires datapad, blank keycard, toolkit

• Kirash Participant
      May 6, 2013 at 7:22 am #21837

Very, very few doors in the game (I can only think of one in game right now) actually utilize keycards. Most of them are voice-activated or require a code. It kind of renders this idea moot.

• maverick Member
      May 6, 2013 at 7:23 am #21838

Then why even have the duplicate command?

Think of it as more of an in game way to find the keycode instead of using an openlock script

• Zakattack Participant
      May 6, 2013 at 9:34 am #21839

I can see this getting really OP. Like someone getting a key to the Republic Citadel at 2am and then using duplicate to sell millions of copies to the highest bidder. There would eventually be no end to the amount of keys to everywhere floating around the galaxy. Also this would almost make doorcut useless; which would in turn make makecutter useless.

The only reason I’ve ever seen keys was the refinery on bespin last TL, which if you had it the guards didn’t attack you, and for the Ice Palace last TL, where Iek would give whoever her bartender was, to access the backroom. It allowed you to use a voice command while you were holding it, I believe.

I actually wouldn’t be sad to see keys gone altogether. So thumbs down from me on this.

• maverick Member
      May 6, 2013 at 9:50 am #21845

Since there is only 1 door that uses a key apparently, they are pretty much removed, I guess if I really want to find the keycode to a door so I dont have to short/cut/bash it open every time, Ill just use a script, kind of unfair to those that dont like to use out of game functions like that though

• Kirash Participant
      May 6, 2013 at 3:19 pm #21859

Duplicate is a useless skill and isn’t even good for espi training. So to answer your question, there is none. I am not a fan of key-based door locks.

• Oteri Participant
      May 6, 2013 at 6:19 pm #21861

Duplicate needs to be the new showclan/showplanet.

• Walldo Keymaster
      May 7, 2013 at 7:31 pm #21873

Yeah I don’t even see the reason to keep key doors around, the duplicate still renders them moot for anything that requires actual security.

• Quicksilver Participant
      May 7, 2013 at 10:01 pm #21875

The same reasoning applies to keys that it does anything else you don’t want getting around. Maintain control of them, otherwise things won’t go the way you plan.

• Xavier Keymaster
      May 8, 2013 at 3:42 pm #21879

I always liked the idea of making keycards relevant. A while back I had an idea kind of like this, but instead of generating a keycard for a specific door, you’d generate a keycard for a specific CODE. Then if you have that keycard, you can access anything that uses that code (ship systems, doors, w hatever). Generate a card for your ship hatch and give it to someone; if you want to revoke access, change your hatch code.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.