This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 15 years, 1 month ago by Xerakon.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
    • Final_Fantasy_Lover Member
      April 3, 2008 at 10:18 pm #566

Okay,

How many of you have logged out, and logged in later to find your ship is not only not where you left it, but in the hangar of a capital ship or on a clan pad? I propose making it specifically illegal to steal someone’s ship and leave it where they can’t reach it. Unless it has charts, then it’s cool. Or if there’s an IC reason to be targetting that specfic character.

Is good idea, ja?

• Adriav Member
      April 3, 2008 at 11:17 pm #5426

Why is this necessary?

You got jacked. Deal with it.

• Corey Participant
      April 4, 2008 at 7:48 am #5594

The reason why they call it stolen is because its freakin stolen. You don’t always get back stuff thats been stolen from you. If my car is stolen tomorrow, the odds of me passing the local store and seeing it there…and me just hoping in and driving off again, are so small its just silly.

• Johnson Participant
      March 2, 2009 at 7:51 am #9321

As it stands right now, pirateship is bordering on utterly useless. Not being able to steal anything larger than a GR-75 doesn’t make sense at all. You can’t pirate Corvettes, you can’t pirate Capitals, hell you can’t even pirate Gunships. All that boils down to either stealing fighters, or a cargo ship. Oh yeah and you can’t buy or sell cargo on a stolen ship either, so you can rule out stealing the cargo ship.

• Skitter Member
      March 2, 2009 at 11:08 am #9327

You can’t steal capital ships or corvettes?

Anything below capital ships should be steal-able, and even capital ships should be steal-able with friends to help you pirate it, walking onto an MC90 and being able to steal it solo is just retarded.

Also, I sort of agree with people not being able to get cargo with stolen ships, this would be better if slicers had a CHANGECODES ability, that resets the codes on hangar doors so the person can then use it to store cargo etc.

People should have things in place that make stealing ships VERY risky, but I still think (given an IC reason), people should be able to steal anything they want, if they have the balls to try it.

• Troll Participant
      March 2, 2009 at 1:16 pm #9329
      "Skitter":fd345kid wrote:
      You can’t steal capital ships or corvettes?[/quote:fd345kid]

Nope, you can’t. And it’s there to prevent the skill from being abused, and make it even slightly more realistic.

Anything below capital ships should be steal-able, and even capital ships should be steal-able with friends to help you pirate it, walking onto an MC90 and being able to steal it solo is just retarded.[/quote:fd345kid]

And the FULL Republican fleet going missin because a bunch of freelance smugglers hijacked it? Yeah, that’s realistic bud. As for doing it solo being retarded, you can still WALK onto an MC90 and PILOT it SOLO. How’s that for stupid? It’s there to maintain that bit of comfort, for example in case of a war. A clan could have only 1 or 2 pilots awake, and they should be able to handle the defense.

Also, I sort of agree with people not being able to get cargo with stolen ships, this would be better if slicers had a CHANGECODES ability, that resets the codes on hangar doors so the person can then use it to store cargo etc.[/quote:fd345kid]

Or simply just addpilot, but I full heartedly agree with people on this one.

People should have things in place that make stealing ships VERY risky, but I still think (given an IC reason), people should be able to steal anything they want, if they have the balls to try it.[/quote:fd345kid]

Stealing ships is risky. The steal process isn’t the fastest, plus it alerts the clan governing the planet. How’s that for risky? Empire sure as hell wouldn’t pardon someone stealing ships on their planets. Also, the owner of the ship can still track the vessel by using locateship. It gives you somewhat accurate information on its location. Unless, of course, it’s aboard a capital ship but then you’re just shit out of luck. They won’t most likely have a random ship sitting on their pad for years.. maybe..

• Walldo Keymaster
      March 2, 2009 at 5:11 pm #9331

It is pretty crazy to say the skill is borderline utterly useless because you can’t steal 15% of the ships in game.

• Avanga Member
      March 2, 2009 at 10:47 pm #9339

I think what he’s getting at is the, "Why bother" portion of it. I honestly don’t think it’s worth the risk except in very situational circumstances (need charts, wanna frame someone else). If you could use ships for cargo-hauling it’d be a big step in the right direction. Don’t know if I’d agree with corvettes and gunships being pirate-able, then you’d have tons of smugglers stealing ships just to perm people left and right.

Plus, from a realism point of view, a gunship or vette should have some sort of crew. They’re probably going to notice you jacking the ship.

• Johnson Participant
      March 3, 2009 at 12:44 am #9341

I say ‘utterly useless’ because you have 2 options of ships to steal. A fighter or a freighter. If you’re planning to steal a fighter you might as well save yourself the trouble and hail a taxi, it’s hardly worth the risk of setting off alarms or getting caught in someone else’s ship when the taxis are equally as fast. And if you’re planning to steal a freighter you need to get your head checked. They’re slow, and you can’t use them for cargo, so why bother?

• Troll Participant
      March 3, 2009 at 4:48 am #9347
      "Johnson":189geiiw wrote:
      I say ‘utterly useless’ because you have 2 options of ships to steal. A fighter or a freighter. If you’re planning to steal a fighter you might as well save yourself the trouble and hail a taxi, it’s hardly worth the risk of setting off alarms or getting caught in someone else’s ship when the taxis are equally as fast. And if you’re planning to steal a freighter you need to get your head checked. They’re slow, and you can’t use them for cargo, so why bother?[/quote:189geiiw]

Because stealing a super rare sith raider or an A-wing, then selling it forward for good profit isn’t useful. THUMBS DOWN FOR YOUR POST!

• Johnson Participant
      March 3, 2009 at 5:07 am #9348

If you’re going to try selling a super-rare ship like a sith raider or an A-wing, people already know it’s stolen, and with the way stolen ships work, who’s going to want it? The owner can just track it down whenever they feel like via ‘ships owned’, and the real owner still appears on ‘locateship’, so unless you keep it stuffed in the hangar of your other ship you won’t get to use it. Not to mention the fact that it SHOWS the buyer that the ship is stolen when trading it to them. Sure, there’s the chance that stealing a sith raider and selling it to someone that doesn’t mind if it’s stolen can earn you some credits, but for all common purposes, pirateship doesn’t cut it.

• Anastasius Member
      March 3, 2009 at 5:15 am #9349

So rig it, If you can managed to keep your hands on it for say 3 days or so.. You suddenly own it.

• Drel Member
      March 3, 2009 at 1:52 pm #9350
      "Anastasius":1xgk4ebj wrote:
      So rig it, If you can managed to keep your hands on it for say 3 days or so.. You suddenly own it.[/quote:1xgk4ebj]
      Not everyone logs on the mud every day. Some active, influential people only log once or twice a week.

However, I am on the side of "let capitals be stealable, even if it’s a PITA to do." Perhaps make it so that you have to actually board the ship while someone’s piloting it, then bash them over the head or whatever, and then the command will work?

• Ocerion Participant
      March 8, 2009 at 10:39 pm #9382

The ONLY way stealing a cappie would make sense is to do so THROUGH an actual player crew…since…ya know…the NPC crew isn’t onboard to kick your ass.

But I don’t get why you can’t run cargo with a stolen ship…And there should be circumstances where stealing a cappie via pirateship would work…SUCH AS…

You’re in a battle against the New Republic…You disable their MC40, they foolishly leave the autopilot off so you make off with it. (This has happened MANY Times, both to the NR/RA and to the Empire) you tractor it onboard, since, hey, the autopilots off. Its not gonna autodestruct. You got it on your bay now…(OR with an Acclamator, on your clan pad.) Why then…in THAT circumstance…Where the RP crew would have abandoned ship…would stealship not work? Course, it wouldn’t go to you, but your clan…that would be one "NEed be" change…But still…

And stealship is damned usefull for escaping enemy bases. When it works.

• Locksharp Participant
      March 9, 2009 at 2:21 am #9383

What about when someone steals your ship, and then gets it shot down? Would there be a way to identify who got it blown to bits and get it back, or is it just a ‘too bad, so sad’ affair?

I know I’ve had people pirateship and autolaunch several ships I’ve owned, and they ended up getting destroyed becasue of it. ( I wasn’t the only one either. There were a lot of ships at one point randomly scattered in the Corellian and Alderaanian sectors last era for no reason at all. ) And it sucked badly because they’re ships that aren’t made anymore this timeline. It’d help if there were measures to prevent asshattery like that, rather than complaining to the IMMs about it after the fact. I was too ticked to even attempt it at the time. >_<;

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.