Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Smuggling Level Estimations
This topic has 13 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 11 years, 6 months ago by Kirash.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
    • Terezi Participant
      October 24, 2012 at 1:13 pm #19961

I wish to formally suggest this, though I’m pretty certain I’ve mentioned it in the past.

I want to have the level estimations for Smuggling removed from all classes except for Smuggling itself so a Smuggling main can see what their projected levels will be. I want to suggest this for one reason: Smuggling is based entirely on luck. There is no minimum level for Smuggling like the estimations suggest. Someone can have a 3 in smuggling and end up with less than a 71 max level. This is incredibly misleading to anyone reading showrace.

• Zeromus Participant
      October 24, 2012 at 1:25 pm #19962

Smuggling is not entirely based on luck. There’s still a standard bonus to each race and yes of course there is a minimum level. 95% of the time the smuggling level falls within the range on showrace, only occasionally does it fall outside of the one listed. It’s not ‘incredibly misleading’ it’s just a semi-random roll based on a stat.

• Terezi Participant
      October 24, 2012 at 1:57 pm #19963

If you give someone a minimum estimate and they fall below that minimum estimate by a large number, then yes it is incredibly misleading. You don’t state ‘Here is your minimum’ and then tell them it’s bad luck when they don’t have their minimum and that it’s not misleading.

• Zeromus Participant
      October 24, 2012 at 2:03 pm #19964

You’re talking about two different things.

You’ll get around this many levels, give or take a few. (current system) = a rough estimate

Stating “here is your minimum” and telling them bad luck = definite minimum

The smuggling levels of every race are wildly different. There is absolutely no reason to remove what’s shown in showrace because that would take the range from 8-10 levels off of what it is to having the range be 1-150, which would be a situation worse than what you’re complaining about. I understand you’re frustrated, but whoa do you have the wrong idea about fixing it.

• Zeromus Participant
      October 24, 2012 at 2:08 pm #19965

I will agree that the showrace brackets are flawed, though. There’s no way to accurately represent smuggling besides just sort of wing it, since a race that falls in the 71-129 range can occasionally dip into the 60s. That’s a terrible, bottom of the barrel luck roll, though.

• Terezi Participant
      October 24, 2012 at 2:13 pm #19967

I’m not talking about letting anyone have a range of 1-150, Zeromus, I’m talking about not even giving a general estimate on showrace for a player to go by. Leave the current way it’s coded to distribute levels in, that’s fine. I don’t have a problem with that. I have a problem with having a 71 minimum estimate (And let’s go with an 8-10 give or take like you said, so assuming all players know that, then a 3 would have a 60 minimum) and ending up with a 50.

• Zeromus Participant
      October 24, 2012 at 2:17 pm #19968

Not giving an estimate is basically the same as creating a 1-150 range in showrace. It means exactly the same thing when looking at racial levels if you don’t include an estimate. There’s no reason not to give an estimate.

• Terezi Participant
      October 24, 2012 at 2:18 pm #19969

Then we’re of differing opinions about what constitutes an estimate. Being more than twenty points off of an estimate in a scale of 1 to 150 is a very significant difference. Enough to say that the estimate is entirely superfluous.

• Zeromus Participant
      October 24, 2012 at 2:21 pm #19970

I don’t know how we can have different opinions about something with an objective definition.

• Terezi Participant
      October 24, 2012 at 2:32 pm #19971

I should rephrase. We seem to be of differing opinions about what constitutes a good estimate.

• Seryb Participant
      October 24, 2012 at 7:57 pm #19977

I found myself mislead to be honest. The character that I play now I created thinking I was going to have minimum 130 smuggling if my luck roll was bad and max 150. Instead I ended up with 107 which bumped to 113… Kinda disappointing given I was expecting advanced disguise at the very least. Sooo yeah my guy has terrible luck I now know. 🙁 Anyways for newer players, or even old ones like me maybe there could just be a disclaimer saying how luck can affect your minimum so there aren’t complaints over OOC/Immchat.

• Kirash Participant
      October 24, 2012 at 10:11 pm #19984

So you have a character that is really down on his luck. Wing it. I expected to have disguise, hijack, and pick ship lock on one of my characters, but it didn’t happen. I didn’t sweat it though. Smuggling’s a great thing to have levels in, but it isn’t a character deal breaker here guys.

• Terezi Participant
      October 25, 2012 at 7:57 am #19992

I’m not saying it is, Kirash. I could care less about my smuggling levels because my character doesn’t even need them. Hell, I haven’t even been leveling it with any kind of attention. I just hate being told I should get one thing and then end up with something wildly different.

• Kirash Participant
      October 25, 2012 at 9:15 am #19993

I was actually talking to Seryb. Still though, I don’t think it is that big of an issue.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.