Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Reverse Engineering Feat
This topic has 10 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years, 9 months ago by StormRyder.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • StormRyder Participant
      July 16, 2015 at 3:42 am #25588

Was thinking, why can high level engineers discover the stats of an item without expensive trial an error.
      Forcers have the ability to see the makeup of an item.
      I propose a new feat:
      Reverse Engineering
      Level 150 Engineering and possibly requiring over 100 science as well to get.
      Allows engineer to examine an item in their inventory like a Forcer can check an item. Downside, long delay timer on it between uses with a 50-75% chance of it consuming the item.
      I see good use for this and potential problems though.
      Thoughts?

• veric Participant
      July 16, 2015 at 9:19 am #25592

It has been been suggested a number of times before. When it comes down to it the answer usually is
      “an in game mechanic already exists for this.” Cozy up to a forcer and get them to ID something for you.

• StormRyder Participant
      July 16, 2015 at 2:49 pm #25593

The intention is not to have to request a forcer to do so, especially if said engineer is on a search.

• Zeromus Participant
      July 16, 2015 at 3:59 pm #25594

I don’t see any particular problem with engineers having a version of know essence. The only stuff it shows that you can’t tell by wearing stuff are luck and avdam anyhow.

• StormRyder Participant
      July 17, 2015 at 4:40 am #25600

I say keep it high level as a feat, make them choose between armor, ships, droids. If possible I’d like to see it as having a secondary requirement of high science as well to get.

• illyduss Participant
      July 18, 2015 at 2:17 pm #25607

You know upon thinking about this I think it is more of a science skill than an engineering one.

• Corey Participant
      July 18, 2015 at 2:30 pm #25608

Basically what Zero said is the truth behind this. Sure add something like this in there as a high level engineering skill or perk. It’s not like it shows you anything crazy. A lot of people make the mistake thinking that know essence on say…durasteel, will somehow tell if its a better piece of durasteel than the next. But it doesn’t work that way. Know essence gives you a value on the item (higher value doesn’t always mean better), stats (which you can learn yourself by just wearing it and looking at your stats) avdam and luck.

• StormRyder Participant
      July 19, 2015 at 4:02 pm #25611

I see, I always thought it gave just a little more information than that.
      What I was thinking is just not value of item, but any stat bonuses it may give when used. Seeing as how you have to use components to make an item before you wear test it.
      *shrug*

• Bai Participant
      July 19, 2015 at 5:43 pm #25615

I asked to develop a machine that essentially shows “know essence” details and the imms said it was not going to be done due to OP. So…

Basically, either find a forcer or develop it through RP. I’ve reversed many a thing through development RP. Get to it, stop being lazy and requiring a skill. 🙂

• StormRyder Participant
      July 19, 2015 at 6:37 pm #25616

*shrug*
      wasn’t looking for a catch all know all skill but meh, it came over as that. It’s an interesting idea for high level science/engi for a feat/perk but looks like it will be a no go. Time to cozy up with some forcers I guess.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.