Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Research Not In a Library?
This topic has 21 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years, 4 months ago by Drel.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
    • Delk Member
      January 4, 2010 at 8:22 pm #1352

A high level Diplo or Science skill that lets you research stuff on your datapad instead of in a library?

• Kirash Participant
      January 4, 2010 at 9:19 pm #13010

Sounds like a feat to me. I know Research is in Diplo, but Science has always been the Research-ish class with the now-defunct Hypothosize/Theorize/Develop skills. Would be a good thing to give to them with all that’s been taken away so far.

• Xavier Keymaster
      January 5, 2010 at 12:30 am #13011

Personally, I hate seeing something as permanent as feats grant a bonus that is, in all reality, temporary. Just like Quick Learner and Scientific Mind — at some point, you’re going to have all the XP you can get, with every skill maxed out. If you had one or both of those feats at that point, you now have two completely useless feats that are just taking up valuable slots.

• Drel Member
      January 5, 2010 at 1:08 am #13012
      "Xavier":3gntf0pz wrote:
      Personally, I hate seeing something as permanent as feats grant a bonus that is, in all reality, temporary. Just like Quick Learner and Scientific Mind — at some point, you’re going to have all the XP you can get, with every skill maxed out. If you had one or both of those feats at that point, you now have two completely useless feats that are just taking up valuable slots.[/quote:3gntf0pz]
      +1.
      The feat system is completely stupid right now. If you look at the D&D feat system, feats were (for the most part) really, really good; they required you to pick and choose to really specialize your character. Right now, feats are rare and not worth it even when you find them (with a few exceptions… mainly things that used to be skills, like endurance and pingship). Some of them aren’t worth getting in /any/ character build (like scientific mind).
    • Delk Member
      January 5, 2010 at 1:30 am #13016

Well I wouldnt mind it being a science skill, But a feat is pushing it feats should be epic win.

• Walldo Keymaster
      January 5, 2010 at 8:14 am #13024

The feat system isn’t bad, the feats are.

I like the idea, but researching is such a limited time thing. It’s different than quick learner or scientific mind, though. Those really do end up saving you time in the long-run and are a recent investment. The window where you are doing a lot of research, though, is a lot more limited.

• Drel Member
      January 5, 2010 at 4:04 pm #13025
      "Walldo":2vre7xt8 wrote:

I like the idea, but researching is such a limited time thing. It’s different than quick learner or scientific mind, though. Those really do end up saving you time in the long-run and are a recent investment. The window where you are doing a lot of research, though, is a lot more limited.[/quote:2vre7xt8]
      You can’t say that every part of a system is bad but the system itself somehow isn’t. The feats themselves are bad; the fact that it screws over non-150 builds (Lorrdian combat before they made the switch, any non-combat race BH main, etc.) is bad (which is the D&D system goes off of /total/ levels, including levels in any second/prestige classes); the fact that the trainers are tucked away in hidden corners of the galaxy without obvious clues is bad [for newbies]–feats should be a way to customize your character, not a way for oldbies to continue to beat up on newbies.

Add in some clues in the newbie academy or to mobs that wander around the "common" places (Coruscant’s Government level, Lorrd’s spaceport/plaza, Arkania’s square, etc.) and I might forgive the last one.

• Delk Member
      January 6, 2010 at 1:35 am #13031
      "Walldo":2gvjpuev wrote:

I like the idea, but researching is such a limited time thing. It’s different than quick learner or scientific mind, though. Those really do end up saving you time in the long-run and are a recent investment. The window where you are doing a lot of research, though, is a lot more limited.[/quote:2gvjpuev]

Thats why I said make it a skill

• Drel Member
      January 6, 2010 at 1:30 pm #13033
      "Delk":3bjjsyf3 wrote:
      "Walldo":3bjjsyf3 wrote:

I like the idea, but researching is such a limited time thing. It’s different than quick learner or scientific mind, though. Those really do end up saving you time in the long-run and are a recent investment. The window where you are doing a lot of research, though, is a lot more limited.[/quote:3bjjsyf3]

Thats why I said make it a skill[/quote:3bjjsyf3]
      The problem with making it a skill is that it has two options:
      A – Make it low to medium level. Then, lots of people have access, so it’s overpowered.
      B – Make it high level. Then, fewer people have access; fewer still have access while they’re actually at the phase of researching their skills. Thus, it’s UNDERpowered.

The same thing applies for feats, but "option B" becomes even more underpowered (as not only would they likely not have much left to research, but they would also be wasting a valuable feat slot). Option A isn’t quite as overpowered, because if you made it super low-level, people would still have to wait for level 50 to pick the feat up.

Now, if you added this skill/feat into quick learner? I think that would be genuinely useful.

On a side note, leadership mains should be able to take science’s "learning" feats and have the bonuses apply to anyone they’ve got grouped.

• Kirash Participant
      January 6, 2010 at 5:02 pm #13034
      "RenegadeJedi":1czh7bro wrote:
      "Delk":1czh7bro wrote:
      "Walldo":1czh7bro wrote:

I like the idea, but researching is such a limited time thing. It’s different than quick learner or scientific mind, though. Those really do end up saving you time in the long-run and are a recent investment. The window where you are doing a lot of research, though, is a lot more limited.[/quote:1czh7bro]

Thats why I said make it a skill[/quote:1czh7bro]
      The problem with making it a skill is that it has two options:
      A – Make it low to medium level. Then, lots of people have access, so it’s overpowered.
      B – Make it high level. Then, fewer people have access; fewer still have access while they’re actually at the phase of researching their skills. Thus, it’s UNDERpowered.

The same thing applies for feats, but "option B" becomes even more underpowered (as not only would they likely not have much left to research, but they would also be wasting a valuable feat slot). Option A isn’t quite as overpowered, because if you made it super low-level, people would still have to wait for level 50 to pick the feat up.

Now, if you added this skill/feat into quick learner? I think that would be genuinely useful.

On a side note, leadership mains should be able to take science’s "learning" feats and have the bonuses apply to anyone they’ve got grouped.[/quote:1czh7bro]

I had originally thought that it could be something specifically for science mains as sort of a class bonus, but then thought of the possibility that not too many races would benefit from it as a Science main. So I then thought about making it a side benefit for Leader/Scientists alongside their study benefit, but I’m not too sure how that would work out in the long run. What do you think?

• Corey Participant
      January 6, 2010 at 5:41 pm #13036

Well, considering Science is pretty much a worthless skill unless you’re an engineer…hell, give it something to spice it up

• Drel Member
      January 6, 2010 at 9:02 pm #13037
      "xpuma20x":3f8hc8jl wrote:
      Well, considering Science is pretty much a worthless skill unless you’re an engineer…hell, give it something to spice it up[/quote:3f8hc8jl]
      Science–if we’re taking the "scientific method" approach of logical thought, not just "science" in the high school class (biology, chemistry, et al)–should be a "secondary class" for /everyone/. It should complement everything but be worthless on its own. That’s its historical role in LotJ. Without datachips (and with the science feats pretty trash, in comparison to, say, endurance), science as it stands right now is basically "engineering skills that weren’t make<x>, so they got put here instead." If you fleshed out science’s enhancement to personal learning and–as I previously suggested–allowed those feats to be used in a group setting for leader mains (allowing leaders to basically choose if they want to be "helper" leaders by taking the regular feats or "teacher" leaders by taking the teaching feats), and maybe added in some secondary benefits for other classes, too (it could tie in with medical and slicer relatively easily, too… maybe even smuggling, with spice)?
    • Avanga Member
      January 6, 2010 at 11:27 pm #13040

Give science mains that turn them into portable libraries, so other people can research off of them. Lol.

• Locksharp Participant
      January 8, 2010 at 8:22 pm #13044
      "Avanga":33yexrql wrote:
      Give science mains that turn them into portable libraries, so other people can research off of them. Lol.[/quote:33yexrql]

… You mean put datachips back in? >_>

• Delk Member
      January 8, 2010 at 8:24 pm #13045

No learn basic skills up to 90?isnt a datachip. Datachips are super sweet. Yet they take alot out of the game.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.