Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Proposed Battlegroup Change
This topic has 19 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 10 years, 4 months ago by Bron.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
    • Nield Participant
      December 5, 2013 at 12:44 pm #23126

I like battlegroup. I liked it more when battlegroup wasn’t limited to four ships or so. In those days, I -did- need support staff because I was fielding a fleet of 10-15 capital ships plus 100+ starfighters against the enemy fleet of 10-15 capital ships and 100+ starfighters. We literally crashed the MUD when we had our larger encounters (which is, I’m assuming, one of the reasons why battlegroup was pared down).

Battlegroup encourages players to learn how to be better pilots. Anyone can fly a single capship and probably stand their own in battle. The truly talented pilots will learn strategies to use their entire battlegroup more effectively than the enemy.

I like Paco’s idea of restructuring the ship limits. It balances the dynamics of space battle a bit by letting people who are forced to use smaller cruisers have more of them. Additionally, if you want to combat the problem of the same five people running the Navies each timeline… just don’t let them. Find new people to run the navies and let them have a crack at it. I hate to be the guy that says this, but… it’s only a game. People are far too protective of their ships and characters this timeline. Loosen up! Teach some newbies how to use battlegroup and see how they do. Worst case scenario is they blow up the fleet in some hilarious fashion and we maybe move on to a new era.

• Ocerion Participant
      December 5, 2013 at 11:14 pm #23128

Yeah dunno what happened but between then and there the amount of ships the mud can handle has gone downhill. Instead of both groups having hundreds of total ships, about 70 lags the mud to a standstill making it all useless, and causing stupid people to get lippy.

Back on the first topic, Rakun, I didn’t say remove the limits entirely. I said change em. Read up bub.

Its my opinion that one fleet should be more than 4 ships. But it shouldn’t have just one pilot, and as someone who pilots a lot Gathorn, I gotta disagree with you on the “support” people apparently have. Whichever clan is winning at the moment always has about 10 people join real quick to be pilots, but they always quit the moment they aren’t given full pilot access on day 2, or when someone who has shown themselves to be considerably more active/better than they are gets promoted past em. You’ll have periods of a few weeks with support, but you’ll find yourself alone at least as often, if you slip up and find yourself playing the “Hero Admiral”. Which sucks a lot more than one might think, its exceptionally draining, and changes that would prevent such a person from existing could only be good ones.

• Delk Member
      December 19, 2013 at 7:35 am #23142

Hey Paco. Just wanted to say I gave a idea that had that and more. It was to remove major clans ability to rule space.

• Paco Participant
      December 22, 2013 at 10:49 pm #23148

I don’t necessarily disagree the major clans ruling space, given the implications of a minor clan that just happens to have a good navy having to then either take over or god knows what. I feel like minor clans should be allowed to app for larger navies if they have the capacity to assume the mantle of leadership upon the defeat of the major clans forces.

• Bron Member
      January 12, 2014 at 9:45 am #23175

Well back in MY day you needed 2 pilots per capship and an admiral over the com telling them what to do. We had five capital ships per engagement and each was manned. I’d raid auto-piloted capital ships over planets until those stupid rules got put in place that said I wasn’t allowed to blow up unmanned cappies…I could take a planet in an hour! I ruled the skies with ten kids dag nabit…then we had to change tactics and send in ground diplomatic forces in to get support to 0. THEN we ashed the capital ships in space. I was the best. Because I trained the best.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.