Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Piloting skill ideas.
This topic has 29 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 16 years, 4 months ago by k12yptic.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
    • k12yptic Member
      December 23, 2007 at 5:55 pm #408

[b:3l6ohxqk]Maneuver: Break Tractor Lock (Syntax: break)[/b:3l6ohxqk]

It’d be a high end piloting skill. Considering the last learned pilot skill is at 100, and pilot mains go to 150, it could be somewhere around 120 or so. Only usable by mids – fighters. A maneuver like Barrel-roll, that breaks the tractor beam’s lock.

Granted once you did this, you’d best get running somewhere that cap can’t find you, cause they’d be looking blast your ass for running. But this would also give pilots who choose to use smaller craft a running chance against cap ships. It shouldn’t be, in my opinion, a lost cause once some Imperial jerk locks onto you with his cap ship. Cut and run.

[b:3l6ohxqk]Ship sneak/hide. (Syntax: Shipsneak / Shiphide)[/b:3l6ohxqk]

This skill would work a lot like the smuggler’s sneak/hide ability, but for ships. They would be another couple high end pilot skills. And yes, two separate skills. Sneak, would allow you to jump into a system unseen. Hide would allow you to be in a system and go unseen. (Note: Ships with massive amounts of sensors have a chance at spotting the ship.)

[b:3l6ohxqk]Afterburn. (Syntax: ABurn (for on) ACool (for off)[/b:3l6ohxqk]

A mid range pilot skill, that allows someone to move twice their speed but uses up massive amounts of their fuel. A good tactic to use once you break a cap ships tractor lock or to get away from that annoying ship so you can jump out of the system without being in it’s proximity.

• Corey Participant
      December 23, 2007 at 6:28 pm #3964
      "k12yptic":2e5x9pjj wrote:
      [b:2e5x9pjj]Ship sneak/hide. (Syntax: Shipsneak / Shiphide)[/b:2e5x9pjj]

This skill would work a lot like the smuggler’s sneak/hide ability, but for ships. They would be another couple high end pilot skills. And yes, two separate skills. Sneak, would allow you to jump into a system unseen. Hide would allow you to be in a system and go unseen. (Note: Ships with massive amounts of sensors have a chance at spotting the ship.) [/quote:2e5x9pjj]

This wouldn’t have anything to do with the pilot’s ability and everything to do with what the ship is outfitted with.

• Walldo Keymaster
      December 23, 2007 at 7:51 pm #3967

I’m about to leave, but since you mentioned the highest level piloting skill being 100…..

Make large ships level 120!

Make battlegroup 150!

• k12yptic Member
      December 23, 2007 at 8:11 pm #3969
      "xpuma20x":37z5jow5 wrote:
      "k12yptic":37z5jow5 wrote:
      [b:37z5jow5]Ship sneak/hide. (Syntax: Shipsneak / Shiphide)[/b:37z5jow5]

This skill would work a lot like the smuggler’s sneak/hide ability, but for ships. They would be another couple high end pilot skills. And yes, two separate skills. Sneak, would allow you to jump into a system unseen. Hide would allow you to be in a system and go unseen. (Note: Ships with massive amounts of sensors have a chance at spotting the ship.) [/quote:37z5jow5]

This wouldn’t have anything to do with the pilot’s ability and everything to do with what the ship is outfitted with.[/quote:37z5jow5]

Could be open to interpretation really. A good pilot will know where to pilot his ship in the system so as to stay under the radar, IE: Keeping near spacial anomalies and other spacial paraphernalia that keeps his ship off other ships scanners.

Was just some ideas though.

And boosting existing skills to higher skill levels doesn’t fix the dullness of the class, just the rarity of those non-pilot mains having access to those skills.

• Walldo Keymaster
      December 24, 2007 at 5:51 am #3977
      "k12yptic":3jkmbiym wrote:
      And boosting existing skills to higher skill levels doesn’t fix the dullness of the class, just the rarity of those non-pilot mains having access to those skills.[/quote:3jkmbiym]

Well by all means I think it 100% would. Why is piloting a ‘dull’ class? Because being a piloting main means nothing. There is a HUGE number of main/race combinations that will give you 100 levels of piloting, IE everything there is to do in the class.

• k12yptic Member
      December 24, 2007 at 9:27 am #3981

Oh, see? I’m new I didn’t know there was that many people who weren’t Pilot mains that could use all the skills. That makes no sense, imo.

• Valens Participant
      December 24, 2007 at 4:48 pm #4059

Uhh…I can tell you why the class is Dull and Stagnent. All you do is Cargo Run. Then there are never any space battles and shit, it’s too hard for the two major clans to get cruisers and shit, so meh. The Empire had this massive fleet and whats it got this era? Shit. Meh, He’s right. Piloting is Dull now, there just isn’t enough of the good shit happening anymore, Everyones making Engineers and joining one of the what, 4 engineering clans? Meh, Retarded. I mean, the Empire itself has like, what, 8 active members? While clans like the Iridonians got 6+ Somethings wrong there. PILOTS ARE DULL! Combatants are Dull(Just upset he can’t PK).

• Walldo Keymaster
      December 24, 2007 at 5:46 pm #4050

[quote:ta7q5yu5]Then there are never any space battles and shit, it’s too hard for the two major clans to get cruisers and shit, so meh. The Empire had this massive fleet and whats it got this era? Shit. Meh, He’s right. Piloting is Dull now, there just isn’t enough of the good shit happening anymore, Everyones making Engineers and joining one of the what, 4 engineering clans? Meh, Retarded. I mean, the Empire itself has like, what, 8 active members? While clans like the Iridonians got 6+ Somethings wrong there. PILOTS ARE DULL! Combatants are Dull(Just upset he can’t PK).[/quote:ta7q5yu5]
      The Empire has a massive fleet this era, but when I put in pirate ships capable of challenging them, I heard nothing but whining about ‘omg our ships almost got destroyed’. If there are four engineer clans, remove the ‘nodissolve’ flags from any that have it and let them go at it. Are you just making up numbers when you say the Empire has 8 active people versus a new clan’s 6? Obviously a new clan that was made with formclan is going to have a lot of active people, otherwise the clan wouldn’t have been made in the first place. Piloting might be dull due the lack of naval clan conflict, but how you can say combatants are dull? The reason the Empire isn’t as sweet as it could be is because the lack of combatants/army people in the clan.

• Ralen Keymaster
      December 25, 2007 at 1:39 am #3991
      "Walldo":7pge2dxv wrote:
      Make battlegroup 150![/quote:7pge2dxv]

NO.

• Valens Participant
      December 25, 2007 at 1:43 am #3992

Well then. Maybe you guys should make it like it was last timeline and No Combat Mains should join Engineering clans, Dissolve their security forces. Everyones joining the Engineering clans over the Empire. I mean, Shit, When I was a newb 9 years ago, I fucking wanted to be an evil asshole so fucking badly, so I joined the Empire. Maybe make the Empire more enticing to be in? I know you can do that Walldo, You are the shit at that. But Engineering clans shouldn’t have their own Security forces, mayhaps. Unless they hired a Paramilitary organization as their security forces, ya know? That’d make more sense in my opinion. But my Opinion is flawed and jacked up.

• Ralen Keymaster
      December 25, 2007 at 2:03 am #3995
      "Valens":2zb38sjx wrote:
      Well then. Maybe you guys should make it like it was last timeline and No Combat Mains should join Engineering clans, Dissolve their security forces. Everyones joining the Engineering clans over the Empire. I mean, Shit, When I was a newb 9 years ago, I fucking wanted to be an evil asshole so fucking badly, so I joined the Empire. Maybe make the Empire more enticing to be in? I know you can do that Walldo, You are the shit at that. But Engineering clans shouldn’t have their own Security forces, mayhaps. Unless they hired a Paramilitary organization as their security forces, ya know? That’d make more sense in my opinion. But my Opinion is flawed and jacked up.[/quote:2zb38sjx]

The basic logic behind ‘formclan’. If our average pbase is 50, and usually we have 5-6 clans, average clan membership is what, 8 people per clan? (leaving out a small number who want to play bounty hunters and kill peeple 4 insult tere honur).

with 10 clans, average members per clan drops to 4-5. Now you all wonder why clans are inactive and no-one sticks with their own clan to make it better – the moment they dont like it this era, or someone perhaps tells them to do something they dont want to do, the new mentality seems to be ‘sod it i’ll make my own’; rather than sticking it out and working for something with the group. Show some damned clan loyalty, people, and half the problems would solve themselves.

• k12yptic Member
      December 25, 2007 at 4:19 am #4000

I think something that may explain a lot of why the Empire’s lacking active people is, from what I’ve seen, the Imperial’s (the PC’s) are total dicks to everyone, Human and alien, with an extreme vocalized hatred of aliens. Sure, the empire didn’t like aliens, but they weren’t out to exterminate them all. I mean, hell, Vader worked with Alien BH’s and Prince Xizor was tolerated, and was very influential, not only through Black Sun, but through legal business contacts/companies as well. Mitth’raw’nuruodo, also known as Grand Admiral Thrawn. He was Chiss. Chiss is near human, sure, but it’s not human. Grand Moff Tarkin used omwati for scientists. He probably didn’t treat them well, but he did tolerate them.

Maybe if people toned down the, "Shut the fuck up alien or I’ll blast you" and the "Are you questioning the Galactic rules, Human citizen" … and had a more monotone presence, where Aliens know who’s boss, but they’re not flaunting it to the point of benig annoying, the Empire may get more active people. I could be wrong, as I’ve mentioned before I’m fairly new to the MUD, but I for one am all set with dealing with that kind of headache. I’d even considered making a Human just to join the Empire, but from what I’ve seen, it’s left a sour view in my eye.

• Fishy Participant
      December 25, 2007 at 4:27 am #4002

Maybe people should restrain themselves from making posts about IC stuffs on the forums, espescially when they have no idea what they’re talking about and only want to bitch.

</my.twocents>

• k12yptic Member
      December 25, 2007 at 4:47 am #4003

I’m not bitching, couldn’t care less. Just expressing why there may be a problem with the clan’s lack of activity. (As I was under the impression this is the place to post suggestions and all)

• Walldo Keymaster
      December 25, 2007 at 4:58 am #4004

[quote:q6ddh1i4]with 10 clans, average members per clan drops to 4-5. Now you all wonder why clans are inactive and no-one sticks with their own clan to make it better – the moment they dont like it this era, or someone perhaps tells them to do something they dont want to do, the new mentality seems to be ‘sod it i’ll make my own’; rather than sticking it out and working for something with the group. Show some damned clan loyalty, people, and half the problems would solve themselves.[/quote:q6ddh1i4]

I think the bottom line is the best way to solve all the complaints in this thread is to just start killing off minor clans.

[quote:q6ddh1i4]Maybe people should restrain themselves from making posts about IC stuffs on the forums, espescially when they have no idea what they’re talking about and only want to bitch.[/quote:q6ddh1i4]

Maybe you should leave the rule regulation to the moderators and not be a bitch about it. If you aren’t going to be constructive, go talk on OOC.

He’s right, sort of.

There’s a pretty clear difference between the Empire being racist and looking to ruin someone’s day constantly. The fact that I can sit on a planet in a public library researching from the second I step out of the Academy and end up arrested by the Empire after two hours of nothing but researching says a lot. Walking the fine line between ‘Human Empire’ and ‘douchebags to the galaxy’ is an issue that always comes up. I guess the bottom line is that LotJ is a game. We aren’t a 100% roleplay intensive mud, and we aren’t a 100% pk mud and that goes back to the fine line thing.

On the other hand, we aren’t a canon mud and the Empire is free to run themselves into the ground however they please. Join the Empire, but if you do, realize that i’m just as likely to never log on my character again as I am to sit there collecting spice to get out of prison if i’m arrested two hours in.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.