Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium New Slicer Skill
This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Fishy.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Xavier Keymaster
      April 30, 2009 at 4:56 pm #1061

Just something I thought would be handy, but I think those who already believe "locateship" is ‘ridiculously overpowered’ will disagree.

It would be cool to see spaceport landing pads keep track of the latest departures and arrivals (like they probably would, anyway), and have a master slicer be able to view the last, say, 3 of each. You would have to exclude taxi summons from this manifest, or else people would be landing and then calling 3 taxis when they get out. It would record the name of the ship at the time of the landing or liftoff, and would not change if it were to be renamed.

[code:2q5bo4us]
      Landing Pad: Capitol City Landing Pad
      Departures:
      YT-1300 Light Freighter ‘Walldos Monkey’
      Arakyd CloakShape Fighter ‘Manthong’
      A-Wing Starfighter ‘Original Name’
      Arrivals:
      R-41 Starchaser ‘Public Taxi 1’
      M22-T Krayt Gunship ‘Some Ship’
      Assassin-Class Corvette ‘Big’
      [/code:2q5bo4us]

To further this a little, you could tie it into security and disable_security. Make the system only record the arrivals and departures if the pad has security installed.

• Rojan QDel Member
      April 30, 2009 at 5:07 pm #9867

This seems like something that is feasible, but should take a crazy-long time (like roster!) and should be a clan skill for the planetary government. Maybe a way to hack the planet’s logs if you don’t have the privileges is possible.

• Xavier Keymaster
      April 30, 2009 at 5:49 pm #9868
      "Rojan QDel":3advhgoa wrote:
      This seems like something that is feasible, but should take a crazy-long time (like roster!) and should be a clan skill for the planetary government. Maybe a way to hack the planet’s logs if you don’t have the privileges is possible.[/quote:3advhgoa]

Government-specific Slicer skill? Sounds good to me.

As for a roster-like completion time, I’m not sure if that would completely negate any useful applications the skill would have or not. If it was such a wait, though, I can’t decide if it should display the logs from when you began the command, or when it finishes it. If the latter, it would force the government to halt traffic and such to accurately retrieve the information they are looking for (not a bad thing, just more opportunity to actually do something).

• CruelAngel Member
      April 30, 2009 at 6:48 pm #9870

I’m curious as to the usefulness of this skill. To what end would it be needed?

• Drel Member
      May 2, 2009 at 6:25 pm #9879

Hasn’t this already been suggested?
      I’m pretty damn sure it has.

• Fishy Participant
      May 5, 2009 at 5:58 pm #9887
      "CruelAngel":9poupx27 wrote:
      I’m curious as to the usefulness of this skill. To what end would it be needed?[/quote:9poupx27]

The useful application that came to mind when I read this topic would be something like a criminal is fleeing the scene. Say someone gets mugged on Lorrd, and the attacker runs off and launches in their ship, but the victim didn’t see the name of the ship, authorities can show up, halt traffic, and run a check, and see who launched recently.

Would also be useful when locateship says a ship landed somewhere, but you go there and it’s not on the pad. You could use that to see who launched and landed recently and then run locateship on those ships to see if it’s the same guy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.