Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium New slicer skill
This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 15 years, 1 month ago by CruelAngel.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Odan Participant
      March 26, 2009 at 3:44 pm #1031

So i thought of this skill because i love tracking people movements and it would an interesting way to find that pesky pirates hiding spot in deep space. So lets say your are able in some way or form to break into a ship that is parked on a landing pad, luckily you have this new slicer skills (havent really thought of a name…Hack_navigation?) that would allow you to hack into the navigation system of the computer and check that last couple of jumps this current ships has made. Coordinates and system. It would be a pretty neat trick to see done. I also have another idea i dont think i ever posted on here, a very slicer skill that would allow said slicer to hack into an enemy clan communications network for like up to 20-seconds to 30. Alot of limits and opposite effects would have to be put in with that one. but…i dont just a couple of ideas.

• Drel Member
      March 26, 2009 at 10:03 pm #9540
      "Odan":5xln4sfz wrote:
      So i thought of this skill because i love tracking people movements and it would an interesting way to find that pesky pirates hiding spot in deep space. So lets say your are able in some way or form to break into a ship that is parked on a landing pad, luckily you have this new slicer skills (havent really thought of a name…Hack_navigation?) that would allow you to hack into the navigation system of the computer and check that last couple of jumps this current ships has made. Coordinates and system. It would be a pretty neat trick to see done. I also have another idea i dont think i ever posted on here, a very slicer skill that would allow said slicer to hack into an enemy clan communications network for like up to 20-seconds to 30. Alot of limits and opposite effects would have to be put in with that one. but…i dont just a couple of ideas.[/quote:5xln4sfz]
      Your first idea: Sound. Not too heavily abusable, which is a major thing when you go messing with slicers and the ship system. Maybe have the number of jumps you can go back and check be based on something, other than a fixed number? Random (i.e. skill % based) or slicer level (like datapad construction is), maybe?

Second idea: Good, but potential to be OP as hell. As you said, there needs to be significant restriction. I have a couple ideas:
      1) Make it require a MSTR datapad, and destroy the datapad in the process (short it out from working too hard, or whatever).
      2) Have it only intercept a SINGLE transmission, or perhaps the next three or five. I have sort of love-hate feelings about this idea; sure, it would prevent abuse like nothing else, but it could also, in turn, be abused–for example, someone spams the command in off-hours, and then can hear the first hundred (thousand+?) transmissions when usage picks up. That would especially own small, peak-hour clans (like BoD was for a while).

• GaiasSons Member
      March 28, 2009 at 5:58 pm #9548

I totally like this idea, tracking and messing with technology is awesome. I very much like the idea of the enemy clan. Although I think there should be a risk of your master datapad overheating or something and have the engineer be able to <repairequipment> which would make it operational again. This would give the engineers some income and would also give the slicers the ability to mess up their equipment while trying to intercept enemy transmissions. I also think that maybe they need to be ON a enemy planet or in enemy space to intercept these transmissions.
      That way the slicer is put in danger, like a clan member can find them hacking into the transmissions and be like WTF!?…hehe I think it’d be awesome as hell. Great thinking Odan.

• Drel Member
      March 28, 2009 at 11:11 pm #9549
      "GaiasSons":2ozxffd5 wrote:
      I totally like this idea, tracking and messing with technology is awesome. I very much like the idea of the enemy clan. Although I think there should be a risk of your master datapad overheating or something and have the engineer be able to <repairequipment> which would make it operational again. This would give the engineers some income and would also give the slicers the ability to mess up their equipment while trying to intercept enemy transmissions. I also think that maybe they need to be ON a enemy planet or in enemy space to intercept these transmissions.
      That way the slicer is put in danger, like a clan member can find them hacking into the transmissions and be like WTF!?…hehe I think it’d be awesome as hell. Great thinking Odan.[/quote:2ozxffd5]
      Repairing overheated equipment is nigh impossible, unless it’s simply overloaded the heat transference rate and forced to shut down with a safety mechanism; in that case, the equipment would be able to be used the moment it cooled back down, anyways–fuses are long a thing of the past. So, your idea doesn’t make nearly as much sense as mind–and semi-copying FTL.
    • GaiasSons Member
      March 29, 2009 at 10:06 pm #9557

I was just trying to make ideas or suggestions to allow other character models in the game to get involved in my idea. So what ideas do you have to contribute? I was always told that to shoot down an idea, contributing an idea would be best. So Renegade what do you think would add to that to allow everyone in the mud to benefit from that skill being implemented?

• Drel Member
      March 29, 2009 at 10:54 pm #9558
      "GaiasSons":10itzief wrote:
      I was just trying to make ideas or suggestions to allow other character models in the game to get involved in my idea. So what ideas do you have to contribute? I was always told that to shoot down an idea, contributing an idea would be best. So Renegade what do you think would add to that to allow everyone in the mud to benefit from that skill being implemented?[/quote:10itzief]
      I guess it was just another person with the exact same name, post count, join date, location, account name, and signature that posted a response before you did.
      Hrrm, time to track down my doppleganger.

Seriously, did you bother to read?

…the dictionary, also? By definition, "shooting down" an idea and "contributing" an idea are not related; contribution is not a form of criticism. While they’re both parts of that "praise, correct, praise" leadership bullshit, I severely doubt you were approaching it from that view.

• GaiasSons Member
      March 30, 2009 at 11:31 pm #9569

No, I was saying after you shoot someone’s idea down, you follow by adding an idea that would work in your opinion. Instead of just posting to shoot someones idea down.

• Johnson Participant
      March 31, 2009 at 2:51 am #9571
      "GaiasSons":a3m4ok6b wrote:
      No, I was saying after you shoot someone’s idea down, you follow by adding an idea that would work in your opinion. Instead of just posting to shoot someones idea down.[/quote:a3m4ok6b]
      That’s what RJ does, get used to it
    • CruelAngel Member
      March 31, 2009 at 4:05 am #9572

Don’t really have an opinion one way or the other about the first idea.

The slicer idea seems like it could be really interesting. Limiting it to being in the same system as the clan’s HQ would work, because then one of the drawbacks of failure would be alerting the clan to the eavesdrop attempt. The failure wouldn’t be noticed by the slicer who would still get his number of seconds/transmissions, but a notification would be sent over the clan’s channel alerting them of an intruder. Just two forms of retaliation off the top of my head would be a chance for the clan to sow disinformation or locate and capture the slicer. Though I wonder if it wouldn’t be better served as an espionage skill, or requiring a certain level of both slicer and espionage, or even requiring two fairly high-level individuals of both to complete it (slicer makes a certain device/program, espionage agent implements it).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.