Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium New Landing Procedures
This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Helix.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • DCLXVI Member
      April 4, 2011 at 4:42 am #1690

So I don’t know if this is even necessary, but it came to me while reading a SWU book. We all know people like to sit in capital ships and ask for ID checks and what have you. Problem with that is, it’s not always going to happen 24/7 and in reality, it should as MOST populated, governed planets would ask for clearance and what have you. So here’s my idea.

Instead of having to set someone up in a capital ship with the boring (you know it’s completely boring) job of hailing and IDing ships, implement a system within the planet itself that has automatic checks and doesn’t allow a ship to land until it is given clearance. For instance. An X-wing enters orbit and is pinged by the planet which comes over with a hail asking for identification. The pilot would then hail back with their name. The planet would then consult a list of names (if it has any) of those barred from entry. It would have checked the name of the ship prior to pinging the ship and if that ship was on the list, the planetary ion cannons would disable it, destroy it, or do nothing, depending on the settings. Should the pilot pass both checks, it will then be allowed to enter the normal command of land <planet> <port>. If not, it will be asked to turn around and leave and an alarm will be sent through the planetary government to inform them someone who has been been barred from entry is present.

Now of course this needs ironing out and what have you. This could also, however, finally get the skill that everyone has been wanting (or at least a few) of running blockades. Possibly a smuggler/piloting skill. Unsure, I leave that up to the powers that be. Blockade though, would allow you to bypass the checks and just immediately land on planets like normal. Maybe a feat that has expert blockade runner or ace or something, that allows you to land faster so you’re not so much of a sitting duck.

Planets that don’t have a planetary government (major clan) would allow ships to land and leave as normal. Minor clans would have to use the old IDing method in order to deter.

Anyways, cut it up or smooth it up how you people see fit.

• Helix Participant
      April 9, 2011 at 4:45 am #16734

If this was implemented there was also another system that I was thinking of. Ship identification codes, not their names that players use for rename ship blah but codes for the vehicle itself, kind of like a unique VIN number. This could also allow slicers to identify a ship with it’s VIN or SIN (Starship Identification Number) and find out who the most recent pilots and owner is as well as the names it has been registered under recently. Each time the name changes the name would go into a database for the ship and be attached to the SIN.

Say there was a YT1400 that wanted to land, it’s Identification code would be like YT14-AB142 ( the last number would be the First letter of the person who laid down the plans for it, The First Letter of the company that made the ship, and the number in the series of ships of that type that had been made, so it would have been made by Aldon (or some other A), The ship producer would be Black Sun (or something), and it would be number 142 made by that company.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.