Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium New Espionage SKillGive
This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 11 years, 5 months ago by Seryb.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Seryb Participant
      November 25, 2012 at 4:29 pm #20260

So I’m bringing this up because the New Republic has bungled some trials lately. I’m not trying to bust any of the characters balls because I don’t think it’s all their faults, rather it’s hard to get legitimate evidence in the mud for a clan that wants to run a democracy and actually put convicted criminals through the trial process.

Given that espionage mains are usually considered intelligence I think they should get a midlevel skill somewhere in the 70-100 range that will allow them to examine corpses, and pools of blood to help find out what happened. If they player had the science skill forensics adepted it would give an even better idea of what happened.

For example: Lvl 80 espionage skill “Investigate”

If you only have investigate and examine the corpse of “John Doe” it would tell you something like: This player was killed ‘X’ rounds ago, by ‘race of attacker’ (if the person was disguised when they originally engaged in combat it would tell the race they were disguised as), lastly it would say the weapon type.

If you had Forensics adepted too it may say something more specific, like the exact name of the weapon that killed that person, along with telling the true race if someone was disguised when combat initiated…

• Zeromus Participant
      November 25, 2012 at 5:38 pm #20261

I’m fine with weapon used and how long ago but in no way okay with it saying what race the attacker was or if they were disguised. There is no real way to figure that out from looking at a corpse. However, you could make it so if a fight occurred in a room with a camera, someone with this skill could pull that information up from the camera.

As far as disguise goes, having a high forensics skill could let you look at scraps of a disguise and figure out what race the disguise was. The information given by these skills should never be a 100% link to the attacker/killer, just breadcrumbs that a skilled investigator could use to get hints.

• laudo Blocked
      November 25, 2012 at 5:47 pm #20262

Espionage mains are supposed to be Jason Bourne, not Quincy. This should be given to medical, if anything.

• Miros Keymaster
      November 25, 2012 at 5:50 pm #20263

I disagree Laudo, a good spy must also be a good investigator.  I dont see a reason why this couldn’t go into that class, the question is would it be a bucket skill or a set of skills.  Espionage is rather short at the moment with only 14.

Examining a room could be a skill, examining a corpse could be another ability that would be thrown into medical if that’s really where it belongs, another skill might be examining a ship to see a number of the last places that it has been rather than just the last one, etc.  Cameras could be augmented to take ‘pictures’ as well and, i dunno, mail them to you?  That would probably be pretty spamtastic.

• frumpalumpaguss Participant
      November 25, 2012 at 6:05 pm #20265

Maybe not with examining the corpse, but as a medical skill, perhaps you could look at the victims weapon and be able to tell the race that way?  Only with 100% forensics, and it would have to be a 140+ medical skill.  The cameras would be a good idea.  Maybe an upper espionage level skill could be set up camera system on a planet.  Kind of like a closed caption system with 12 hour replay.  It could pick up on movement and would tape who was where and when. If that was the case, Sneak would have to be a higher smuggling skill, because sneak could make you “invisible” to the cameras.

• Zeromus Participant
      November 25, 2012 at 8:15 pm #20266

I’ve been thinking since you posted that, frump. Instead of a skill, why not make a developable item that makes you display as a blur on cameras or fudges results when somebody checks them? You wear the item and it just messes up the feed when you are near.

• Baxtalo Participant
      November 25, 2012 at 9:21 pm #20270

Being able to glean more information about a freshly killed corpse would be a great skill, and one that should be refocused on before the thread is lost to other talk.

espionage skill — investigate, supported by the science forensics

medical skill — autopsy, supported by the science forensics, medical

The former would be able to tell you by what sort of weapon the person died from, while autopsy could tell you that and how many rounds ago they were killed, giving prevalence to the medical skill.

The idea about examining blood puddles could be a medical skill of some name, letting you determine what is the race of the person whose blood it is.

• Seryb Participant
      November 25, 2012 at 9:39 pm #20276

Damn glad to see so many responses already! I just put the race thing in there because a detective nowadays can find DNA at scenes of a crime to help determine the attackers specifics. I don’t think it is fully necessary but some combination of the skills would be great. I like the autopsy idea/blood examining being in either medical or Espio I think it could go either way  because a good detective would take the ssamples to a lab to be analyzed. That would be assumed to have happened should the skills stay in Espio.  I like the examining of a ship idea! It could be similar to leadership in for every 10 levels you get another guard but iin this instance you’d get 1 plant for every 50 levels. So a 150 could see the last 3 planets visited before its current dock.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.