This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 15 years, 6 months ago by Ralen.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Final_Fantasy_Lover Member
      September 15, 2008 at 12:09 am #793

I don’t know about you guys, but I’m getting sick of disguises being worn by people launching a sneak attack. SO! As an issue of game balance, what I’d like to see is certain restrictions placed on disguising.
      1) You may not use murder, lunge, ambush, or other commands which initiate combat while disguised.
      2) If you are attacked while disguised, certain force abilities (such as batting blaster bolts back at their POA) are reduced in effectiveness.

Oh Gee! I’m wearing an uberthick, heavy mask and full body disguise that includes eye-color changing contact lenses, or even goggles which make my eyes look like another species’. I’m gonna pwn you!

This would discourage many people from using disguise 100% of the time (Yes, it’s obvious so I’m gonna point at you @bobobo) so that you can’t be tracked or farsighted and generally force people to actually expose themselves and use disguise as it was intended: as a means of slipping out of trouble, getting past your enemies without attacking them, and tricking people into selling you ships (edit: or revealing information) when they would otherwise know not to.

• Inactive
      September 15, 2008 at 12:11 am #7776

I honestly don’t agree with the first point. Maybe BIG TIME penalties on said commands, but.. not complete restriction, that makes no sense.

• Final_Fantasy_Lover Member
      September 15, 2008 at 12:13 am #7777
      "Skiia":30epecvn wrote:
      I honestly don’t agree with the first point. Maybe BIG TIME penalties on said commands, but.. not complete restriction, that makes no sense.[/quote:30epecvn]

Prevents said person from using the disguise offensively.

• CruelAngel Member
      September 15, 2008 at 1:14 am #7779

I personally don’t have disguise on any of my characters. So for what it’s worth, I disagree with limiting a player’s actions while disguised as per that first point. A penalty to certain skills while wearing disguises wouldn’t be illogical, but it should scale with the disguise, no? Again, not sure how disguise works, but I believe it takes varying amounts of putty depending on the disguise? So perhaps make it to where the more putty used, the bigger the penalty. But if all the person did was change skin color, eye color, hair color, and some facial features (and stayed within the same race or something close to their race) why would it affect their ability to fight?

As for using disguises as they were intended…. Assassins use disguises too. And they don’t necessarily shed their disguise before they strike. Sure it sucks, someone gets attacked by what they think is an orange-skinned Falleen, only to find a pile of clothing and orange silicon scales shed in the alleyway. Now they don’t know who they’re looking for… but that’s the point. Disguises should be used for all the other stuff you mentioned, but attacking while disguised is perfectly valid too. Though maybe there should be a chance to destroy bits of a disguise during a fight, but I think I’ve seen that mentioned in another thread.

• Walldo Keymaster
      September 15, 2008 at 2:16 am #7780

I find it interesting that just last night, most of OOC was discussing how easy it is for disguises to fall off in combat.

• Ralen Keymaster
      September 15, 2008 at 2:13 pm #7783
      "Final_Fantasy_Lover":2gsmx971 wrote:
      2) If you are attacked while disguised, certain force abilities (such as batting blaster bolts back at their POA) are reduced in effectiveness. [/quote:2gsmx971]

Whilst point #1 is probably born out of some sort of in-game gripe and bears not the slightest modicum of sense, this one isn’t a bad idea if tempered out carefully.

"Final_Fantasy_Lover":2gsmx971 wrote:
      This would discourage many people from using disguise 100% of the time so that you can’t be tracked or farsighted[/quote:2gsmx971]

You’re just wrong here.

"Walldo":2gsmx971 wrote:
      I find it interesting that just last night, most of OOC was discussing how easy it is for disguises to fall off in combat.[/quote:2gsmx971]

Correcto. If it ever lasts more than 1-2 rounds, you’re an -extremely- lucky master of disguise.

• Gathorn Participant
      September 15, 2008 at 3:22 pm #7785
      "Walldo":92fwwg29 wrote:
      I find it interesting that just last night, most of OOC was discussing how easy it is for disguises to fall off in combat.[/quote:92fwwg29]

I don’t think his gripe is so much that it stays on while combat, but that a person can disguise, ask to speak to you, and then ambush you when you meet. If so, then what is the point of disguise? In that case, it is being used to move closer to what may otherwise be an unapproachable target.

• Ocerion Participant
      October 15, 2008 at 7:09 am #7921

Call me crazy but I had thought that keeping who you really are hidden, was the point of a disguise. I don’t have a single character who can disguise, and have to deal with people doing every bit of that to me, on most of them…and yet I love how disguise is now. It gives people a pair, where previously they sat in homes using comlinks to threaten everyone while planning on never going out. Leave disguise as it is, find something broke, fix that instead.

• Oteri Participant
      October 15, 2008 at 9:39 pm #7932

I like the new look of disguise, but are ya’ll being sarcastic when you say it actually falls off in combat? It’s been a long time since I’ve used disguise…call it a year or more.

• Ralen Keymaster
      October 16, 2008 at 4:07 pm #7938
      "Oteri":3tbz14h3 wrote:
      I like the new look of disguise, but are ya’ll being sarcastic when you say it actually falls off in combat? It’s been a long time since I’ve used disguise…call it a year or more.[/quote:3tbz14h3]

No, it really does when you sustain a small amount of damage. It’s a preventative measure which renders the thread moot in the first place. :p

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.