Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium More datapad remodulation suggestions
Tagged: ,
This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 11 years, 4 months ago by Gyndi.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Domovoi Participant
      December 31, 2012 at 8:13 pm #20654

In light of the new slice/secure code, I believe datapads could use some more work.

As of right now, there seems to be no downside to having a MSTR modulation datapad that you carry around with you. My suggestion is this: Remove the tier system, and replace it with a system similar to the slicing Spec Master system where each modulation gives a better bonus!

Ideas I consider completely feasible:

All datapads hold the same number of disks (Keep it at 25)
      Medically modulated datapads give the full ‘diagnose’ readout (keeping the level requirement could be optional. Maybe a message for low levels saying “There’s more info, but you don’t know enough to understand it”)
      Slicer modulated datapads give a small boost (no where near what the spec master gives) to all slicer skills.
      Science modulated datapads that give a small bonus to develop.
      Espionage modulation that allows usage of ‘monitor_camera’

More ideas:

Chips alongside co-processors that are priced around 50,000 credits a piece.
      Piloting modulation that gives a bonus to calc speed
      Leadership modulation that gives a bonus to teaching
      Trade modulated datapads that give a bonus to selling
      A ‘prototype’ type datapad that allows remodulation of other datapads to anything, but requires a separate part similar to a co-processor.
      Alternately, more, lower priced chips to hard-modulate datapads (no remodulation, only construction). Basic model datapads that use no co-processors, but give no bonuses could still be included

Moving the ‘makedatapad’ to slicing?

Could possibly include dual-modulation by including more chips

• Walldo Keymaster
      January 2, 2013 at 3:01 am #20676

I hate our current datapad system for the reasons you highlighted IE why have a specific module if MSTR trumps all? Just getting rid of MSTR in general would be a good start. I can see the benefits of keeping it but adapting your systems of bonuses though. I think that a system would like that could grant a whole range of bonuses people could upgrade their datapads with but I wonder if this might be a case of ‘keep it simple’

• Gyndi Participant
      January 2, 2013 at 3:05 am #20678

I think these are pretty neat ideas. I’d like to see MSTR taken out, and the ability to make datapads for each of the above mentioned modulations introduced at level 100 of each class or something like that.

• frumpalumpaguss Participant
      January 2, 2013 at 1:06 pm #20684

I think the ‘Keep it simple’ aspect can be maintained by just a simple tweak.  In order to make a MSTR datapad, make it need components that are neither easy to find, nor cheap.  That would make having a MSTR datapad more valuable (and thus more difficult to obtain), and still keep it simple.

• Baxtalo Participant
      January 2, 2013 at 4:10 pm #20685

Medical, “ES1” (which needs renamed or defined), SRK (which stands for… what? Has to do with espionage, yes?), and MSTR should all have separate functions as clarified on. It might be a pain in the rear to have to have 2 or 3 datapads, but it makes sense at the same time that no one machine could do EVERYTHING. Each could do a certain thing. Domovoi’s idea about having datapads that boost your skills in other areas is really inspired, I think. Datapads are not just for slicers! 

• Venengo Member
      January 4, 2013 at 8:44 am #20702

I don’t think I’m really understanding the reasoning for all of these “only good at one thing” datapads, though I do agree that the first three modulations are pretty meaningless. If you’re able to remodulate to the best settings, what is stopping you from just making one datapad for each function? Even if you’re just buying, datapad shops or people willing to do it aren’t so uncommon, and the help file suggested “don’t sell people MSTR datapads” never seems to be kept and anyways only needs one random person to break the collusion ring before it fails.

Otherwise, I do think adding more little bonuses like the first post suggests could be interesting, though it seems a bit slicer heavy (particularly with previous stuff) and it’d be nice to see that sort of thing go to other skills if possible….or even worked out as a recipe thing to help engineers be better than storebought or dropped gear (anyone able to make +LCK items? 😛 ) or clan-only developments for that matter.

• Gyndi Participant
      January 5, 2013 at 2:44 am #20716

I just want to emphasize how datapads modulated for science making developments easier to get is a really awesome idea. And how my idea of each of the datapad related-ish classes needing 100+ levels of that class to make each modulation is also a great idea.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.