Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Monitor_Camera Addition
This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 10 years, 10 months ago by Quicksilver.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • ccubed Participant
      June 8, 2013 at 4:55 pm #22013

This shouldn’t be terribly hard to code as it stands, but it’d be nice if monitor_camera would only show the cameras that you placed and not all of the cameras on the planet. That kind of defeats the purpose of having camera_sweep when you can just type monitor_camera and see where all the cameras are anyways. All it’d take is an extra reference variable in the camera code and a single comparison for monitor camera. So shouldn’t be too much trouble.

Perhaps long term add an espi or slicer skill to detect cameras that are broadcasting that you didn’t place and hack into them so you can monitor them.

• veric Participant
      June 8, 2013 at 10:55 pm #22014

it would be pretty amusing doing a camera_Sweep and finding 15 individual cameras have been placed in one room..

• Zakattack Participant
      June 9, 2013 at 12:03 am #22015

Camera_sweep isn’t for finding cameras as much as it is for removing them. I’m with veric. So, I see no point to this change at all.

As walldo would say “What would this bring to the mud? What rp value does it have?”

• ccubed Participant
      June 9, 2013 at 3:01 pm #22018

What would this bring to the mud?

1) Realism

2) It would actually make camera_sweep do what it’s supposed to do. Camera_Sweep isn’t just about removing cameras, that’s why you have to wait a long ass time to ‘find’ the cameras. It’s supposed to be about finding AND removing cameras. The way monitor_camera works now, it makes sweep_camera useless. You might as well just shorten the timer and call it ‘remove_camera.’ Because it sure as hell ain’t for finding them right now.

3) Counter Question: Why should you be able to tap into every camera on a planet just because you have a datapad and the monitor_camera skill? You generally have to find those things first and tap into them locally.

RP Value.

I get tired of hearing this question honestly. No matter how much you try to force RP on LOTJ, it’s never going to be a mush. RP is code. Code is RP. RP around LOTJ consists of screaming at each other, bullshitting, acting like siths and bad ass mofos and randomly stunning people.

• Zeromus Participant
      June 9, 2013 at 3:22 pm #22019

I’d be fine with lowering the time on camera_sweep and not changing monitor_camera at all. There’s “realism” and then there’s turning something into a superskill by making it a function that only one person can access. Monitor camera is incredibly powerful but it is also a double edged sword because anyone can be using it at the same time. From a balance perspective, it’s the best it’s ever been and privatizing it like that would make it overpowered because then there’d be no way to protect yourself from it besides camera_sweeping every single room.

I also 100% disagree with your assessment of LOTJ’s RP but I know you’re just lashing out at having another one of your ideas shot down by multiple people so I won’t take it too personally.

• Kirash Participant
      June 9, 2013 at 9:48 pm #22020

As someone who has played Espionage mains on a regular basis, I agree that this is something that is not needed. The camera system functions just fine as it is. Espionage mains actually work a lot better now than they have in the past and I feel that making anymore adjustements to improve the skills will only make people start screaming “OVERPOWERED!” The only thing that the Espionage class really needs is reliable class leveling through using skills. Duplicate and makecamera simply do not give enough experience to use as leveling skills.

• veric Participant
      June 15, 2013 at 7:59 pm #22028

It would be nice to have access to *1* camera that only you have access to. I was very excited by the idea of monitoring cameras I placed until I found out literally anyone with monitor can view (almost) every camera on the planet..

• ccubed Participant
      June 19, 2013 at 11:29 am #22029

@Kirash – Truth brother. Class leveling in espionage using skills is annoying.

As to the original topic, You say that’s it overpowered if we all have our own cameras, but that doesn’t really change anything. Let’s use my test.

What should it do? Let you view the actions of people in a room.

What does it do? Let you view the actions of people in a room.

Does it do anything else? No.

Does it have a counter? Yes.

Okay, so now we make cameras attach to individual players instead of everyone on the planet.

What should it do? Let you view the actions of people in a room.

What does it do? Let you view the actions of people in a room.

Does it do anything else? No.

Does it have a counter? Yes.

So how does making it so that you can only see your cameras, and potentially adding in another skill to find other cameras, make it any more powerful than it already is? It doesn’t change what it lets you do, it changes how it works. So you have to camera_sweep every room? And? You already have to camera_sweep to remove the cameras. Lord forbid you have to actually search for cameras and make them actually useful. The fact that I can see every camera on the planet just by typing monitor_camera really defeats the purpose of even having cameras to begin with. Get the espi main, ‘where are the cameras? Ok, we’re not having our meeting there.’

Versus the more realistic, Get the espi main, ‘Okay, sweep this room. Thanks.’

• Quicksilver Participant
      June 19, 2013 at 1:37 pm #22030

Your thing doesn’t make sense, why are you beating a dead horse?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.