This topic has 14 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 10 years, 11 months ago by ccubed.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
    • ccubed Participant
      May 23, 2013 at 12:20 pm #21941

This should be an engineering skill. Let’s make this happen. Maybe put it on the same level as makeblaster.

• Walldo Keymaster
      May 23, 2013 at 7:38 pm #21944

Usual questions apply: What will this add to the mud? How will it work?

• Ralen Keymaster
      May 24, 2013 at 9:41 am #21946

I’m not for this. There comes a point where so many in game items are made by players that there’s little point in ever visiting other planets for npc shops, and i feel this advances that without bringing any positives.

• Kirash Participant
      May 24, 2013 at 11:12 am #21947

On a side note, I don’t think batteries and ammo cells should play a part in weapon creation. Their function should be more along the lines of how much ammo/charge you have in a weapon when you reload/recharge it.

• Domovoi Participant
      May 24, 2013 at 1:18 pm #21950

I agree with Kirash, but only on ammo cells. No one manufactures a gun using a magazine to determine how many bullets it can hold. They make the gun with specific magazine size in mind.

As for whether or not batteries should be used, I think it should determined max charge in a blaster (since it’s technically integrated and is the power reservoir), and only be an initial charge in a vibroblade (because you can swap the battery out when it gets low)

• Kirash Participant
      May 24, 2013 at 5:08 pm #21951

That kind of came out wrong. I meant batteries shouldn’t determine vibroblade quality. It should still be used in blasters. I simply meant that a weapon’s respective “ammo” item should not be a requirement for the end quality of a weapon.

• Logan Participant
      May 26, 2013 at 11:16 am #21960

True Ralen, but having player made parts would promote more interaction, even at a smaller level. Vendors would still need to be visited for the ingredients either way.

And personally i’m all for rewarding people who go out of their way to experiment with parts and find the best recipes for making premium items.

To answer Master Walldo with something constructive: Dig up plasma from Naboo, using makecontainer you need to create a durasteel based fuelcell canister/container, find a refinery and distill the plasma into a fuel source housed in the canister.

Refining the plasma could be a medium level pilot skill, my reasoning being it could also work as player made cannisters for emergency_refuel. The last step (makeammo) would be a medium/higher level engineering skill.

• Hashi Participant
      May 26, 2013 at 11:32 am #21962

There are enough time sinks for engineers that they really don’t need another one.  Ammo is cheap and fine exactly as it is presently.

• Kirash Participant
      May 26, 2013 at 1:09 pm #21965

My whole thing is that the game already has a bajillion redundancies. We don’t really need another. I am perfectly fine with stuff like superconductors, batteries, and ammo cells being a development thing rather than just another waste of time for engineers.

• Logan Participant
      May 28, 2013 at 4:10 am #21974

True enough, but is the solution to the problem players just throwing credits at it?

Personally i’m all for player made items being more reliant on the engineer than how deep the buyers pockets are. Would make for a more universal value on armours in general being lower costs to mass produce and net a higher income for the engineer in question once they become known for their recipe.  Roland a while back comes to mind.

I like the current system in place but who am I to say no to options.

• ccubed Participant
      May 28, 2013 at 9:31 am #21975

Ralen, what reason is there to visit other planets? Combatants are the only class that have to visit other planets. I trained all of skills on arkania, now i fly cargo between coruscant and corellia. What incentive do i have to visit another planet? I don’t need money, i don’t need to do combatant quests. I will literally need to go to each planet once just to grab materials to find engineering recipes. after that i have no reason to explore. So what detriment is there in letting engineers make nearly every item in game?

What will it add to the game: ammo amounts no longer controlled by imms. Ammo prices no longer controlled by imms. Allows engineers to actually be more of a support unit in clans.

How will it work: I see an ammo cell taking a battery, superconductor, durasteel/duraplast and perhaps a crystal. Battery for charges, super for obvious reasons of high power output, DuraP or DuraS for casing. Crystal as a focuser?

• Ralen Keymaster
      May 29, 2013 at 4:46 am #21976

“Ralen, what reason is there to visit other planets? Combatants are the only class that have to visit other planets. I trained all of skills on arkania, now i fly cargo between coruscant and corellia. What incentive do i have to visit another planet? I don’t need money, i don’t need to do combatant quests. I will literally need to go to each planet once just to grab materials to find engineering recipes. after that i have no reason to explore. So what detriment is there in letting engineers make nearly every item in game?”

This is entirely the Anna-based model of gaming I want to move away from. Why would you want to visit other planets? To explore, to quest, to meet other players. Not to have everything instantly available via skills without ever leaving the same room.

• Kirash Participant
      May 29, 2013 at 11:22 am #21977

So instead of finding a solution to not wanting/needing to visit other planets (which is a problem by the way), your idea is to just give even less incentive to go to other planets thereby compounding the problem? Tell me more about how this is actually a solution, Ccubed.

• ccubed Participant
      May 29, 2013 at 2:45 pm #21979

You are the ones assuming not needing/wanting to go to other planets is a problem. I don’t see how it’s a problem. Let’s start with how you see it’s a problem. It’s not a problem because:

1) Even with your current system, you haven’t put much thought into how to make people want to go to other planets
      2) The way the mud works now people do actually pretty much pick a planet to idle on.
      3) Proof of 2: Arkania, Ryloth, Kashyyyk, Coruscant
      4) People only go where they have an incentive to go (Arkania (for trains and money), Ryloth (for lylek quest), Kashyyyk (Seren(syren?) fibres), Coruscant (Because republic ain’t got time fo moving))
      5) What does it matter? It’s not like going to other planets gives you RP. Nobody wakes up and goes to Arkania to rp with whoever comes through the area.
      6) The only reason as it stands to go to other planets is quests. I don’t actively explore planets. I don’t think anyone can claim they do. They go to where the quests are. Exploring was done ages ago.
      7) If you really thought this was a problem, we would have new planets.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.