Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Make research officially bottable
This topic has 32 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 10 years, 8 months ago by Corey.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
    • Coreceren Member
      April 22, 2013 at 1:46 am #21717

I’ve been around since Ghost and Raven ran this place. This would probably still be in the top 5 improvements to the MUD since then. Do this.

• frumpalumpaguss Participant
      May 2, 2013 at 11:33 am #21808

I’m curious, did anything ever happen with this, or no?

• maverick Member
      May 2, 2013 at 12:06 pm #21811

doesnt look like it, still took me 3 hours to research 29 skills (with 100% research, still failed just about 2 of 3 researches)

• Zakattack Participant
      May 6, 2013 at 9:52 am #21846

Agreed. I think this should have been added to the legal-to-bot list well before study.

• Baxtalo Participant
      May 6, 2013 at 11:55 am #21848

For the sake of debate, is there a reason anyone can offer FOR this being in place?

Also, why not boost each successful research to give 25% knowledge versus what it gives now? That would cut down on the time, but still make libraries retain their use.

• maverick Member
      May 6, 2013 at 12:26 pm #21850

Libraries are a good target for thieves? No one is paying that much attention to the echoes coming off the research trigger so thieves can slip in, steal half of those precious academy credits and disappear, and you dont notice for another 40 minutes because the only commands youve type are research and practice?

• Zeromus Participant
      May 6, 2013 at 1:09 pm #21851

Never, ever make an argument on the basis of theft reduction. Theft is an accepted part of the game, imms will literally never adjust something because it makes you easier to steal from, on any game where thievery is a coded action.

The reason for making it bottable is that it is a boring repetitive action during which your RP opportunities are limited, just like buildship and study. The design philosophy of the game needs to move away from mechanics where you just stand in one room spamming the same command for hours at a time while being forced to sit there and watch it.

• Kirash Participant
      May 6, 2013 at 3:14 pm #21858

lolusing thievery. Do you think you’ll be less of a target of thieves with the bot flag or without? I’m with Zeromus. Don’t use thievery as an excuse… especially where botting is concerned.

My argument for allowing research botting is that I’m a thief and I need easier targets. Ok now for my non sarcastic reason: We have this skill that we can bot called makearmor. It takes less time to bot a full set of Class III armor than it does to fully research all your skills. Research is a massive time sink on the same level as develop and buildship. It really should be bot legal.

• Walldo Keymaster
      May 14, 2013 at 2:56 pm #21903

Besides making it bottable I think it’s best to revisit the formula for success on study; botting is very much a band-aid and not a fix.

Maybe the further past a skill level you are, the larger % you learn. So if you are level 150 researching a level 1 skill, a success is going to give you 80%

I think that alone would actually cut out the repetition and time sink from research.

For fun I made a new character and it took me 10 minutes / 24 attempts to research research which just seems silly. I’m not sure what the best way to fix that is, maybe just refugg the formula to be more generous?

• Baxtalo Participant
      May 15, 2013 at 12:01 pm #21908

How about research comes as a 100% learned sill out of chargen? The further past a skill level aspect isn’t always an option for when you are leveling yourself, but it would make researching after being spamleveled considerably easier.

• Cronlan Participant
      June 30, 2013 at 12:54 am #22046

I like the idea of fixing the research/study system overall, but perhaps until such a magical fix is done we add research to help bot?

• Raato Participant
      June 30, 2013 at 9:02 am #22048

You don’t even immediately (or often never) need most of the skills you absolutely have to for some reason research as far as you can get them in one sitting.

Research all to 20% and the ones you really need further.

…I mean pls change this dum monchonoc

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.