This topic has 6 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 13 years, 2 months ago by Ace.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Faern Participant
      December 31, 2010 at 8:52 pm #1628

Is the fact that you have mail easily and obviously noticeable? There are times when I’ve sent a mail to a person, who had requested that I do so, and made it seem as though it was important, and not heard back on it for days, even though I’ve seen them online.
      Other times, nearly the only way to join a clan, besides luckily, or randomly, or ooclyhelped bumping into a member, is to send them a mail. However, I’ve both never seen responses and, as before, had to wait days, or just blunder across someone else who could remind them.
      In light of this, I wonder if it’s at all possible that the "You have x mail awaiting" at log in is either unnoticeable, or, simply not enough, to make sure that people check their inboxes?

• Slyth Member
      December 31, 2010 at 10:30 pm #16368

to be honest, I would say out of all things, I HATE mail the most.
      if people send me mail, I usually choose not to mail back, and I think most others do the same. I don’t think mail is a problem of knowing you have it, I think it is more of a problem of nobody wanting to send it themselves.

• Avanga Member
      January 1, 2011 at 7:15 am #16371

Someone mentioned adding a flag to SCORE to show when you have mail… I think that’d be pretty handy.

• Kirash Participant
      January 1, 2011 at 8:55 am #16375

Right now, all there is to let you know you have mail is the little message you get after you wake up… which depending on where you wake up, can very easily be spammed out.

Either that, or if someone mails to your mailbox number, "mailbox list" will tell you what has pending messages, but there’s no warning or indication otherwise for you to check.

I like the idea of putting a little message in your score to let you know… or make it like "assist" and have it bugger you every 60 seconds until you check and take/remove it.

• chuckinator Member
      January 3, 2011 at 10:05 pm #16414

A) If you have a datapad in your inventory, it should buzz or beep or something when you receive a new message.
      B) If you have a datapad in your inventory, you should be able to see if you have mail and possibly a count. You should still have to go to a terminal to check it, etc.
      C) If mails somehow had a ‘read’ flag the way they do real-life email, you could have some config setting like NEWMAIL that when turned on only shows you the count of unread messages when you log on

I’m sure it’ll cause a flame war, but I wish I could download mail from a mail terminal the same way I can download forum posts. This would be priceless for an engineering main.

• Drel Member
      January 28, 2011 at 1:20 pm #16562

My complaint is that somehow, in a galaxy of holograms, hyperspace, blaster weapons, and bacta, their primary form of electronic mail still requires a datacard for input (you can’t just type your mail directly into the terminal and send it). That’s the IRL equivalent of computer punch cards, which fell out of use decades ago.

That being said, the flag is a good idea. Not the best solution, because knowing when I’ve gotten mail isn’t the problem for me, but a good idea nonetheless.

• Ace Participant
      January 31, 2011 at 2:25 am #16573

I like the aforementioned ideas for mail.

On top of that though, I think mail could be mobilized. Why not make some datapads able to view your mail remotely, as long as you’re in a system with a mail terminal?

The skill could in fact be a slicer skill of moderate level, but reachable by most people, even so.

You wouldn’t have to have the skill to check your mail, because not eveyone in the galaxy is good enough with computers to link up with a mail terminal remotely.

If your slicer level is really high, such as 110+ or something, maybe you could even extend functionality to while you’re as far out as uncharted space, or in a hyperjump. After all, it takes some skill to manipulate data at that distance. That’d allow a select few to be able to actually access their numbered mailboxes anywhere, giving them an edge over the random masses, as slicers should with data.

I also think shared mailboxes would be incredible. With those, an engineering clan could cooperate on orders, or a senate could receive the same letter all at once, or even an aspiring group that isn’t a coded clan yet could get a sense of unity. We can share our houses, so it would make sense to share our mail, right? (Houses, also, should get mail access, I think. Makes no sens eot have to leave your house to check your mail.)

Another thing I’d suggest for mail is a CC function, instead of having to create several disks just to mail the same letter to several people.

Just my two cents, and several paragraphs.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.