Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Languages in Emotes
This topic has 11 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 14 years, 10 months ago by Fishy.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    • Drel Member
      May 28, 2009 at 6:33 pm #1064

Well, the implementation of non-Basic languages in emotes has been long taken care of; however, there’s still no way to actually figure out what language is being used. While you could solve this by simply tacking it into your emote, there are many situations where that doesn’t make any sense (you can’t recognize languages you don’t speak, but if people simple did "emote snarls, growling "<message>" in <language>" viewers WOULD be able to recognize the language without being able to comprehend it).

Thus, I think there should be a new token for use in emotes that puts in your current language. To those who speak said language, it puts the name in; to those who don’t understand the language, they see "an unfamiliar dialect," just like on comms or in person.

• Gathorn Participant
      May 28, 2009 at 6:55 pm #9977

I agree with this, as I have seen some people speak another language, and emote it, in attempt to figure out who speaks what.

• Inactive
      May 28, 2009 at 9:34 pm #9979

This is quite similar to the suggestion for point-of-view emotes taking into account short-descs, dubs, et cetera, and probably would be coded similarly.

• Anastasius Member
      May 29, 2009 at 1:37 am #9981

I myself have used emotes to find if someone knows a language or not. I agree the tactic was dirty but I beleave in using what is availible. Anyway what if we make it like the name token. If you use "’s in a emote is will auto place <Hapan> in front of the emote like talk or unfamilier dialect or blank if basic. Then we can use it like $L anywhere in the emote to show language.

• Drel Member
      May 29, 2009 at 1:40 am #9982
      "Anastasius":1hdkhn7w wrote:
      I myself have used emotes to find if someone knows a language or not. I agree the tactic was dirty but I beleave in using what is availible. Anyway what if we make it like the name token. If you use "’s in a emote is will auto place <Hapan> in front of the emote like talk or unfamilier dialect or blank if basic. Then we can use it like $L anywhere in the emote to show language.[/quote:1hdkhn7w]
      …I’m pretty sure (if I’m understanding you correctly) that’s exactly what I was suggesting, so way to copy me.
      Token? Check. Plagiarism.
      Replaced by language name if known, unfamiliar dialect if unknown? Check. Plagiarism.
      I think those speak for themselves.
    • Anastasius Member
      May 29, 2009 at 1:54 am #9983

Dont get all pissy, I was grouping your idea and expanding on it. Mostly to explain the idea of shovieng a language in front like it does with your char name unless you use the language token.

• Drel Member
      May 29, 2009 at 3:37 pm #9986
      "Anastasius":1d64xmef wrote:
      Dont get all pissy, I was grouping your idea and expanding on it. Mostly to explain the idea of shovieng a language in front like it does with your char name unless you use the language token.[/quote:1d64xmef]
      If you were trying to mean that if the new language token is NOT used, that the emote coding would automatically place [language] either at the end of the emote, or in front of the language itself (I’d be hesitant to have it at the front of the emote, for playability’s sake), then that’s a legitimate idea; I’d only mentioned the token itself–not what to do about the idiots/twinks that refuse to use it.
      tl;dr – Very good idea. Very bad way of communicating it.
    • Rojan QDel Member
      May 29, 2009 at 5:02 pm #9987

This would be difficult to code, and can just as easily be accomplished by
      speak language
      emote growls "meh"
      speak basic

• Anastasius Member
      May 30, 2009 at 12:29 am #9990
      "Rojan QDel":170bmrii wrote:
      speak language
      emote growls "meh"
      speak basic[/quote:170bmrii]
      I dont see how it would be difficult, there is a check already in place for language and its used on talk. Also emotes support the name token. But your the coder not me. Also the point of the idea is because if you and I know basic and twi’lek and zeltron. But you know trandoshan and I know toydarian. I speak in zeltron, how do you know im speaking in twi’lek or basic and reply acordingly.

Also RJ I was tired when I repled. Sorry for not coming across clearly.

• Rojan QDel Member
      May 30, 2009 at 12:34 am #9988

It would be difficult for my not much benefit, trust me.

• Drel Member
      May 30, 2009 at 2:25 pm #9989
      "Rojan QDel":267eumrt wrote:
      speak language
      emote growls "meh"
      speak basic[/quote:267eumrt]
      Rojan, I love you and all, but you’re a fucking newb.
      I admitted that what you call as a perfect solution can be done; in fact, the languages-in-emotes functionality (which I acknowledged in my VERY FIRST SENTENCE) brings about the problem I was trying to address: people not knowing what language is being used in emotes. You solution, because it’s in fact NOT a solution, doesn’t solve this.

P.S. The code’s already there; just steal it from channels (talk, clan, etc. all have this functionality).

• Fishy Participant
      June 13, 2009 at 6:46 am #10049

No need to be all militant and pissy, RJ.

I like Anastasius’s idea about " " automatically adding a <language> somewhere in the emote. It wouldn’t look all sleek and pretty but it would be functional and all the necessary systems are already in place.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.