Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Illegal Perms: How should we handle the permer?
This topic has 12 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 13 years, 1 month ago by Anna.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
    • Anna Member
      November 5, 2010 at 3:55 pm #1586

Should we punish the permer? At what point should we do this? I can personally understand if a player has an illegal perm or two on their record. Sometimes, you get caught up in the heat of the moment, but 3 or 4? More?

What should we do about people who perm others illegally, and bog our system down with the red tape that they ultimately produce?

I suggest point fines after 1 or 2 illegal perms. I’d say for severe cases, or when points are not available, removing one of their clones if there is one to be removed.

• Muddledde Member
      November 5, 2010 at 5:59 pm #15920

Sure, they made a mistake and didn’t know or forgot the rule, or as you said Anna, in the heat of them moment. I think 2 warnings should be fine. At the 3rd, reprimand them. Remove their points. If they continue, take more points off and put them in jail for a bit. If they keep doing it, just out right ban that character. If they don’t learn by then, then they are just being a dick and should be banned all together for some time. After that? We just need to get out some baseball bats and do it old school. Go for the knees.

Also, check to make sure that the last perming isn’t one right after the other. If it happened within a weeks time, mark it. They are wasting every bodies time. But if it’s been some time since the last, just restart their count, unless it was a serious offense.

I can’t think of too many more punishments that can be offered unless you add a penalty to their character, but I think that’s unfair in any case.

• Corey Participant
      November 5, 2010 at 6:13 pm #15921

A lot of people could care less about points. A lot of people know they can create a free character and perm even the most expensive race there is, some people are just that good. I think a 3 strike system is good to start. Sure start off with points, though it has to be enough to actually make them remember it. If the person continues on, I agree that bans should be in place…even if its for small periods of time like a week or so to start.

• Kora Participant
      November 6, 2010 at 12:16 am #15923
      "Muddledde":1x3o3uhx wrote:
      Also, check to make sure that the last perming isn’t one right after the other. If it happened within a weeks time, mark it. They are wasting every bodies time. But if it’s been some time since the last, just restart their count, unless it was a serious offense.[/quote:1x3o3uhx]
      That’s exactly the point I was going to make. A player who spends three years on the mud and racks up an illegal perm per year really isn’t causing trouble… especially compared to the player who did the same in just a week. I don’t if there’s a way to make things on a player’s record "expire", but that’s probably the best way to do it. If you get an illegal perm within, say, a month of two others, then you should be fined. Three a month sounds reasonable.

However, there needs to be a small amount of change to the way restores are handled if we’re going to make the system as automated as that. It’s not fair to automatically fine a player for doing something illegal unless they [i:1x3o3uhx]know[/i:1x3o3uhx] they are… and in order for them to know it they need to be told. It’s not exactly easy to know if the person you killed got restored or was cloned… and it’s not easy to tell if the perm held or if they’ve just gone into hiding. While I’d personally advocate telling people [b:1x3o3uhx]why[/b:1x3o3uhx] the perm was overturned to help them understand what they were doing wrong, I get how that could result in sticky IC/OOC crossover situations. But just "Your perm against <such-and-such> has been overturned" would suffice. …Or even "Your perm on Wednesday November 3rd, 8:11PM GMT has been overturned" for those situations in which the name of the victim isn’t known.

Personally I would be more in favor of a subjective system than a coded one… if somebody can write a really good RPC defense (that doesn’t involve "my character is insane and likes to kill people") then even if their perm is overturned they’re probably not a trouble maker and I wouldn’t want to see them punished even if that happens to them on a fairly regular basis. I would like to see somebody explain to them what they’re doing wrong, but I’ve already ranted about that. However, somebody who was blatantly abusing the system… meh. I don’t see why they should be able to get away with it just by making sure their bullshit perms are never more than two a month. Obviously, that system would be more prone to accusations of favoritism and the very real possibility that it will simply be never enforced like the "higher RP standard" thing, but I really think this is the sort of situation that requires human intelligence, not machine "intelligence".

• Anna Member
      November 6, 2010 at 8:05 am #15932

4:00am. Can’t sleep… coming up with ideas. I can’t tell, in my current state of exhaustion, if they’re good or not.

What if we had a flag to prohibit people from perming? You get so many chances not to fuck up, and then you get slapped with this no perm flag.

Forget clones, forget RPC and IC for the moment… just focus on this one concept.

True, if the player wants to take someone out, they’re going to get their AIM clique on the job. That’s a clear exploit. -Of course, their aim clique would be risking the flag themselves.

Does this idea have any merit?

• Muddledde Member
      November 6, 2010 at 8:14 am #15933

Even suggesting this in your current state of sleeplessness, I agree in my current state of drunkenness that a no perming flag isn’t a bad idea. I still think the player should get a warning first, possible a reprimand before the flag comes into effect.

Keep in mind, this may allow the person to try to perm just because he knows he won’t have to go through a RPC trail. He knows that the permee will be taken to bacta or what not. Again, if the permer because a dick about "perming" people (even though they are just going to the hospital each time), then the punishments should start to take effect.

I like the idea of the non-perming flag for a permer.

• Kirash Participant
      November 6, 2010 at 8:29 am #15934

This has always been in place for blatantly illegal perms. The problem is that it has been kind of lax in its enforcement. I am a firm believer that perms that wind up being "Perm them and let the RPC sort them out" should be treated as blatantly illegal perms.

• Fishy Participant
      November 6, 2010 at 10:52 am #15938

But keep in mind it can also work the other way. I’ve seen people get restored who never, ever, should have. And that’s not rage from not understanding and blah blah blah, that’s from being on the RPC and seeing some really retarded case handling. So, any system that punishes players automatically or according to strict ‘by the numbers’ rules is going to cause an issue there.

In fact, a lot of the attempts to do rules ‘by the numbers’ (you must have 3 of these 5 categories to perm someone, you must have 3 thinklogs about perming this person, your thinklogs about the perm have to be spaced out over at least three days…), have resulted in the awful awful situations and stupid case handling.

• Kirash Participant
      November 6, 2010 at 12:23 pm #15942

Perms that wind up in restores aren’t necessarily illegal perms either. If a perm is going to be judged "illegal," there are usually other circumstances involved such as SpyApp, illegally edited log files, OOC vendettas, what-have-you… all of which carry their own, rather severe, punishments.

Now if a person gets restored and the permer starts going on a killing spree and coming up with lame justifications for each perm, then yes, I do believe action should be taken, but that is up to the RPC to inform the Immortals of what is going on or for the Immortals to actually pay attention to COUNCIL MONITOR, case submissions, and death tallies.

• Anna Member
      November 10, 2010 at 2:03 pm #16031

Thanks for your feedback, guys. I’ll let you know what we’ve decided to do with this after the imms have the chance to review it.

• Anna Member
      November 18, 2010 at 3:31 am #16149

Here is what has been decided:

Players who are observed as having too many illegal perms will be given a noperm flag on their account which will prohibit all characters that are associated with the account form perming others.

Players who have a noperm flag may not place a bounty on another player.

Players who have this flag will force every kill into the hospitalization system (as described in Ease of Death/Pkill thread), and the victim will lose their eq, and be subject to a 12-24 hour hp/mv penalty.

This punishment will work like banning. The first offense is 1 month, the second offense is 2 months, the third offense is 3 months, and fourth offense if 6 months.

If a player is unable to perm others within the guidelines of help perm, and we have already tried to flag the account with no perm, then the player will be subject to banning.

• Andvari Participant
      April 2, 2011 at 2:55 pm #16624
      "Anna":3h17nv8s wrote:

Players who are observed as having too many illegal perms will be given a noperm flag on their account which will prohibit all characters that are associated with the account form perming others.

Players who have this flag will force every kill into the hospitalization system (as described in Ease of Death/Pkill thread), and the victim will lose their eq, and be subject to a 12-24 hour hp/mv penalty.

This punishment will work like banning. The first offense is 1 month, the second offense is 2 months, the third offense is 3 months, and fourth offense if 6 months.

If a player is unable to perm others within the guidelines of help perm, and we have already tried to flag the account with no perm, then the player will be subject to banning.[/quote:3h17nv8s]

Bumped. Why isn’t this happening?

• Anna Member
      April 21, 2011 at 3:22 pm #17091
      "Andvari":2ve8vzkz wrote:
      "Anna":2ve8vzkz wrote:

If a player is unable to perm others within the guidelines of help perm, and we have already tried to flag the account with no perm, then the player will be subject to banning.[/quote:2ve8vzkz]

Bumped. Why isn’t this happening?[/quote:2ve8vzkz]

This isn’t not happening. In fact, since poking my head back up from the sand, I’ve brought it up to Rojan several times. Life sometimes gets in the way of our best intentions, and we’ll have to recreate a coding schedule to get these updates done. To help realize some of this, I’ve instituted a point fine for blatantly offensive illegal perms.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.