Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Hyperspace Routes
This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 11 years, 7 months ago by Archeon.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Avanga Member
      August 9, 2012 at 11:30 pm #19696

I think this TL’s experiment into system placement and spacing is pretty much a success. We’ve seen a lot more diversity in space combat and tactics, and I think it’s great. I’d like to see things go one step further though. I want to see hyperspace routes, to bring us even more in line with canon.

For those of you not in the know, space travel in canon is sorta-kinda limited to certain safe spaceways that have long since been determined as clear of gravitational thingamajigs and stars and such. So even though you’ve got thousands of systems in the galaxy, travel is usually limited to those popular, predetermined spacelanes. There are, of course, exceptions when it comes to scary places, hidden places, dangerous places, etc.

I think this could add a lot to the MUD. I’m at a loss as to how it could be implemented, though.

• rakun Participant
      August 10, 2012 at 1:51 am #19697

This sound great.

Maybe implemented through either simple system placement and adding a few ‘hidden’ planets that you can find by exploring uncharted systems further away from usual space lanes.

Or somehow coding a new hyperspace system.

• Xerakon Moderator
      August 10, 2012 at 4:42 am #19698

A system like this could bring about the development of grav wells or interdiction fields. However, I also believe it will cause issues for the regular people that need to just run a quick errand to another planet. If you hafta reroute through multiple hyperspace lines to get somewhere you could’ve jumped with one stop before can get really really annoying. Has its pros and cons, like everything else. The people that use space for just combat would hafta develop new tactics all the way around, but the people that just use it as a road to another planet could be hugely inconvenienced.

• Avanga Member
      August 10, 2012 at 10:54 am #19701

I take it you missed era 1, Xerakon? The planets were originally distanced and positioned so that people had to take certain routes to get from Point A to Point B. The problem with it set up that way is 1) the systems are ridiculously far apart and 2) when ships start getting better they can jump all the way across the galaxy again. With some sort of spacelane setup, the jumps could be kept shorter but still have that strategic feel to having certain routes or planets to protect to block off your enemies, etc.

• Altrez Participant
      August 10, 2012 at 4:24 pm #19702

I’m in favour of this as long as we keep and add to uncharted space. Dangers/hidden things could be added/removed periodically, like you said, to the unestablished routes. This way people aren’t so sure when they take an unknown route that they won’t end up on a pirate base or discovering a hungry space wyrm. On the flip side, renegade captains will have that to explore and look forward to. Random undiscovered planets, space stations, monsters, good hiding places like nebulas and asteroid fields. etc.

• Avanga Member
      August 11, 2012 at 3:58 pm #19708

I had a thought, though I’m still not ENTIRELY happy with it. The idea would be that routes get to places faster than just regular ‘calc planet’ and go. Saves fuel and a lot of time. People CAN maneuver through uncharted but they’re going to get where they’re going slowly and use up all of their fuel doing it.

• Zeromus Participant
      August 11, 2012 at 8:59 pm #19709

I like that idea more than restricting the jumps.

• Inactive
      August 13, 2012 at 9:54 pm #19717

I also second the second idea. Have lanes that are shorter calc’s than just calc <planet> from whereever. Make it strategic to hold planets like Ord Mantell, etc.

• Archeon Participant
      September 10, 2012 at 3:44 pm #19864

Does that mean I will finally be able to see those who are hypering in hyperspace? That would be cool, to know if someone is chasing me. Or Heading another way o.o

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.