Legends of the Jedi Forums The Brainstormtorium Everyone's a bloody millionaire…
This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years, 7 months ago by Logan.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
    • Xaleron Participant
      September 15, 2013 at 8:44 am #22414

So, I’ve mentioned this before on OOC, and a lot of people (people who on other threads on here have made ‘oh its all about the RP’ comments, ironically) hated it – changing the way we refer to our credits in game. What I’d propose is just putting a decimal in, whether imagined or actually coded in doesn’t really matter, but if we stick a decimal in two spots to the left of where it would be right now… Things would suddenly look like they’re acceptable SW prices.

Keep in mind the costs of anything won’t actually change. They’d just look less ridiculous and more in-line with Star Wars. Currently 100k is 100,000 credits… This would turn into 1000.00 credits. A thousand credits. About enough to buy a blaster like a DDC Defender in canon SW, and about what it costs in LotJ to get a sub-par blaster most of the time. Ships… Currently the prices look ridiculous. Ten thousand, according to Luke in episode IV, was ‘almost enough’ to buy a ship. So with our decimal place moved it would be 10,000.00… 1,000,000 credits currently. Which is enough to buy their own ship comparable to the YT-1300 Han had offered them.

This isn’t a game-changing, crazy change, it’s a change for immersion and SW accuracy. The Star Wars universe was not like Japan, where each Yen is essentially worthless until you get up into the multiple thousands (like we currently have). It was more like what I’ve described above. The only reference to fractions of credits in Canon SW is the decicred, being a tenth of a credit, but that was a coin. Currently in Canada we no longer use pennies… It’s only a matter of time until we no longer use 5c coins either – however, banks still account for everything down to the cent even though cash transactions don’t. That’s essentially the comparison I’m making here: we know that they had decicreds as coins, so who’s to say there weren’t centicreds that are only accounted for in banking systems because they phased out the coin that used to represent them?

EDIT: Clarified the ship example.

• Oteri Participant
      September 15, 2013 at 11:15 am #22415

Basic economics calls this phenomenon inflation. Credits are available in unlimited quantities.

And more importantly, there is nothing wrong with the way things work now.

• Xaleron Participant
      September 15, 2013 at 11:53 am #22416

Oteri, not exactly. Things haven’t changed in MANY years on LotJ, you should know that. Credits have always been ridiculously numerous like this – 100k a few years ago is still roughly equivalent to 100k now. It’s probably the only part of the code that hasn’t been changed much besides changing the word ‘gold’ to ‘credits’ from stock code.

Inflation doesn’t come into effect, because the credit amounts would be staying the same. The npc vendor prices wouldn’t change. It would simply be referenced in a more accurate to Star Wars way, and our IC interactions would be more faithful to Star Wars. Just because suddenly 100k is now only 1000.00 doesn’t mean a ship price is going to skyrocket to 100,000.00 just so it’s still ‘100k’ IC. That would be idiotic.

If immersion’s not important, why do we have credits instead of gold coins in the first place?

• Walldo Keymaster
      September 16, 2013 at 2:27 am #22419

I understand the principle behind complaints about ‘LOTJ inflation’ but if you think we are going to completely rebalance the mud to be in tune with whatever random numbers George Lucas ascribed to things in 1977 you are silly.

It absolutely would be game-changing and would be a huge chunk of work to rebalance LOTJ’s economy to knock off a few zeroes. Quest payments, leveling rewards, the price of literally everything to be sold on the mud would be impacted.

As you pointed out, the mud’s economy has been more or less functioning the same way for a decade (in terms of how many zeros come with a purchase) so why fix it?

When you say things looks ridiculous do you just mean in comparison to whatever canon prices are?

• Sarac Participant
      September 16, 2013 at 4:47 am #22420

Xaleron, why don’t you apply for an engineering clan that appeals to the “budget economy” or do something icly? the economy is player driven and has nothing to do with in game mechanics…

• Xaleron Participant
      September 16, 2013 at 8:23 am #22421

You guys are misunderstanding. The value of anything would not change. That’s the point I’m trying to put across here. And Wally, yeah, I do mean in comparison to what canon SW prices generally were… Not what Mr. Lucas arbitrarily made up about the lines in Episode IV necessarily, but other established canon SW sources.

A blaster should not cost 190,000 credits. The change I’m talking about would be a VISUAL change to how credits show up, and therefore how they are referred to IC. IE, that 190,000 would show up as 1900.00. That’s a pretty close-to-canon representation of a top-of-the-line blaster price.

Our economy is mostly based off of how many credits an individual can carry/have in their bank (notwithstanding clans) and how hard they are to obtain – and this stuff would NOT need to be touched. At all. All that would happen would be that 1500 credit payout in (whatever quest) becomes 15.00 credits.

• Sarac Participant
      September 16, 2013 at 8:27 am #22422

5 credits for a livocai protestor sign 🙁

• Kirash Participant
      September 16, 2013 at 10:51 am #22423

There are some things that should be brought closer to the reality of Star Wars. This is not one of them.

• veric Participant
      September 16, 2013 at 11:05 am #22424

s100 starfighter, complete with the ability to travel through space  –   100k after mark up.

blaster with less parts and take less time to make – potentially +150k after mark up (let’s not get into ‘but it cost X to develop said technology!’)

While 100k is fairly easy to get.. it would be nice if items such as starships felt like an achievement once you bought it.

• neven Participant
      September 16, 2013 at 12:49 pm #22425

Would you rather nobody be a millionaire and everything really just be the same as it is now mechanically speaking but with a different number? Or would you rather have an upper class that controls the limited amount of money that is in the game at all and keeps you oppressed to being poor and being unable to afford ships ever because with the limited amount of money in the game you can’t even earn any because people have taken up to just compulsively hoarding all of it?

• Corey Participant
      September 16, 2013 at 1:54 pm #22426

After reading through this thread, I’m pretty damn sure some of you guys didn’t actually even read Xaleron’s suggestion. With that said, I think this isn’t a bad idea as much as an aesthetic idea that will never get implemented because of other things that are more important being placed in front of it.

• Flek Participant
      September 16, 2013 at 8:29 pm #22430

I read it corey and I agree with it.

He isn’t asking for a rebalance or change in anything at all. He is asking for a decimal to be added for the sake of aesthetics.

5,000 pay out from a quest will payout 50.00

190,000 repeater 1900.00

1,500,000 freighter will be 15,000.00

things that cost 100 credits will now be 1.00 and under that will be credit fractions .15

This is litterally a cosmetic change to how credits appear thats it. Value stays the same payouts stay the same.

• Logan Participant
      September 20, 2013 at 8:28 pm #22440

I can understand the sentiment about being more canon but this is really a inconsequential issue. Just pretend it only cost you x amount. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.